Top Gun Maverick

pete_auau

TOMCAT

Best part of the movie. I had the shivers and a little wet eyes, I admit. 

All these diddle diddle planes, I don't care for. Today I'm a little sad, coming to realizes that there will be no more movies in the rest of my life span with cool planes in it. The movie marked the end of the time I know, just CGI's and diddle diddle left. Guess I'm now officially in my midlife crisis.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 6:47 AM, Steel Jaw said:

A tube liner pilot, yes.  Evidently he knows JACK about combat aviation though.  Likely why he was so easily impressed by Maverick.

and how many RL F-18's and F-22's have you flown?  sz4M0Ns.png 

The guy is a retired top gun instructor. Tube liner is what he does now for a living.

Seriously Dude, how many times does it have to be said?  "It's a movie, not a documentary."

Edited by rayrayblues
  • Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

12 minutes ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

TOMCAT

All these diddle diddle planes, I don't care for. Today I'm a little sad, coming to realizes that there will be no more movies in the rest of my life span with cool planes in it. The movie marked the end of the time I know, just CGI's and diddle diddle left. Guess I'm now officially in my midlife crisis.

Umm...there is very little CGI in this movie. It's mostly "in camera" footage of real planes doing real maneuvers.

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

14 minutes ago, rayrayblues said:

The guy is a retired top gun instructor.

Then he should know his Hornets.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Ok, who has the mission file for the bombing run from the movie.... I want to try it.

Also, confused as hell ATFLIR feels. (for those who saw movie)

Edited by station2station

System Specs:

Intel 8700K (Factory Clocks) / NZXT Kraken X62

ASUS ROG STRIX 1080TI

Corsair RGB 32GB @ 3600MHZ

Samsung 970EVO M.2 OS Drive / 2 x Samsung 960EVO SATA Game Drive (DCS and STEAM)

Phankteks Enthoo Evolv TG w/ something like, 9 case fans now...

Alienware 34" AW3418DW (with 120HZ and GSYNC)

Warthog HOTAS

Thrustmaster MFD

Saitek Rudder Pedals

Logitch G35 Mic

TrackIR5

Corsair keyboard/mouse

A10C,FA18,F14,Viggen <3,F16,Spitfire, NTTR, Persian Gulf,SuperCarrier

On 5/29/2022 at 6:47 AM, Steel Jaw said:

A tube liner pilot, yes.  Evidently he knows JACK about combat aviation though.  Likely why he was so easily impressed by Maverick.

24 minutes ago, Cab said:

Captain Joe? There’s nothing I see to indicate that.

OK, I see we've gotten our signals crossed. I wasn't talking about Captain Joe.

I was talking about the other vid by "The Fighter Pilot Podcast" with Vincent "Jell-O" Aiello, Andy "Grand" Mariner, Dave "Chip" Berke and Jim "Jambo" Ray

Four former combat pilots and top gun instructors reviewing the movie. These guys know their "stuff". How much "stuff" do you know?

Edited by rayrayblues
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

2 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

OK, I see we've gotten our signals crossed. I wasn't talking about Captain Joe.

I was talking about the other vid by "The Fighter Pilot Podcast" with Vincent "Jell-O" Aiello, Andy "Grand" Mariner, Dave "Chip" Berke and Jim "Jambo" Ray

Four former combat pilots and top gun instructors reviewing the movie. These guys know their "stuff". How much "stuff" do you know?

👍

That was a great video. 

• Like 2

OK guys I finally watched the movie...

Twice...

In same day...

I worn a T-shirt with the American flag, I worn a leather jacket on top (hot as hell for the weather but one has to adhere to the spirit of things) sun glasses, I got pissed, I farted, I sang like an idiot, and enjoyed the snot out of it.

It's been a while since I enjoyed a movie at cinema (last time was dune and before that was before the cough-cough). Man I think I needed that because I have been feeling down for years. Also I changed Job with several advantages (in aviation again but not as a pilot).

OK back to the movie, I kept expectations low but I was positively surprised, they actually kep GCI to a minimum. It was refreshing to see actors inside the pit for real.

I also the movie had a few hidden messages one of them was that the navy wants a dual engine Stealth plane, and it wants it yesterday. I wont spoil the movie but there were several instances the movie gave the F-35 the middle finger. yes it's in it and mentioned but ungraciously dismissed.

Fully enjoyable movie that avoids the current fads that plages other movies and make them flop. RECOMMENDED.

Edited by Pilotasso
  • Thanks 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

It's not "DCS realistic"... not even close.

BUT... there was many instances that had MORE realism and "real world" than I expected from a hollywood rollercoster movie... just like the first one.  

And while it was cheezy at times, overall I enjoyed it for what it was, a recognition of the original and  it's cultural impact, and just a fun ride after a sea of doom/gloom movies the last two years.

In the end, I had more fun with it than I expected, was better than I expected!  That said, leave your NATOPS manual at the door!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilotasso said:

I also the movie had a few hidden messages one of them was that the navy wants a dual engine Stealth plane, and it wants it yesterday. I wont spoil the movie but there were several instances the movie gave the F-35 the middle finger. yes it's in it and mentioned but ungraciously dismissed.

I think you’re reading too much into this. 

They couldn’t use the F-35 making the movie, so they just had to come up with a plot device to explain that. 

F-35s are still classified, no Dual cockpit, no Actors in Cockpits.

So that Means, pretty much no Cockpit shots,

F/A-18E/F is still pretty much the workhorse of the Navy, Dual Seat Fs Allow Actor to sit in back during flying scenes for footage.

If you havent seen it yet, suggest you hurry, Paramount is being sued for Copyright Infringement

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

3 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

If you havent seen it yet, suggest you hurry, Paramount is being sued for Copyright Infringement

uh... did a quick reading of this... I'm no lawyer, or movie maker, or article writer... but a first glance seems to have a very weak foundation for a lawsuit to me. An article from 1983, that inspired the first movie? Somehow has legal IP for a movie a few years later, and then decades later?!  Ehh...   I mean, for  a quick buck to settle out of court, sure, but beyond that, I'm certain that Paramount would send in all lawyers, pure firepower, to deny them a win.

Next we'll learn that Fast an Furious, along with CARS are both being sued by the estate of Manuel Fangio, because car go vroom!! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rick50 said:

uh... did a quick reading of this... I'm no lawyer, or movie maker, or article writer... but a first glance seems to have a very weak foundation for a lawsuit to me. An article from 1983, that inspired the first movie? Somehow has legal IP for a movie a few years later, and then decades later?!  Ehh...   I mean, for  a quick buck to settle out of court, sure, but beyond that, I'm certain that Paramount would send in all lawyers, pure firepower, to deny them a win.

Next we'll learn that Fast an Furious, along with CARS are both being sued by the estate of Manuel Fangio, because car go vroom!! 

Family waited to see the numbers before suing, Cash Grab,

The Movie was announced and Copyrighted in 2010 8 years before they issued the retraction notice, filmed in 2017 and 2019 and completed before the Copyright reverted back to the family in Jan 2020,

The Only Reason it took 2 years to release is because of Covid and theatres being closed.

They have no ground to stand on here.

No to mention despite the names and a few returning characters, which aren’t part of the article at all. the Movie has Zilch to do with the USNFWS, as written by the Author, no Tomcats, no Trophy, no Points. None of the scenes in the movie portray the photography supporting the article (which was taken by a USN PAO Photographer, not the author of the article, so either way, they are property of the Navy). the Plot, is not centered around a school, it’s centered around the training for the mission.

Character names, are not part of the article, “Top Gun” the name is not something the Author can copyright, as it was the unofficial designation for the School/Program.

So what exactly are they suing for?, the original Article and the Copyright Agreement never Mentioned sequels.

Shouldn’t they be suing 20th Century Fox over Hot Shots! ?

Paramount will likely Settle with Family out of court, they’d be dumb to turn down even a 3% Settlement, which is over 30 Million assuming the numbers stay on track to hit 1 Billion Dollars, and that’s not counting Rentals, Streaming, DVD/Bluray, Syndication of Top Gun on TV networks, etc etc etc

• Thanks 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

On 5/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, Coxy_99 said:

Its a good film, If you ignore all the technical stuff people in arm chairs like to point out. So as a movie story perspective. Opening scene was awsome (Best part) …

I’ve seen it, but please, mind the spoilers.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, SkateZilla said:

Family waited to see the numbers before suing, Cash Grab,

They have no ground to stand on here.

Shouldn’t they be suing 20th Century Fox over Hot Shots! ?

LOL!!  That all sounds about right!!

On 6/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, SkateZilla said:

Paramount will likely Settle with Family out of court, they’d be dumb to turn down even a 3% Settlement, which is over 30 Million assuming the numbers stay on track to hit 1 Billion Dollars, and that’s not counting Rentals, Streaming, DVD/Bluray, Syndication of Top Gun on TV networks, etc etc etc

I think you are correct about the numbers the movie will produce... but I think you are wildly overestimating what Paramount will offer the family... I mean, 3% would be HUGE money for people not entitled to any of it, IMO.  I'd expect Paramount to offer them $100k and a fancy SUV and "shut up about this and go away or we'll counter-sue you out of existence!".  I bet Paramount was more likely to give that 3 million to Wounded Warriors or something, the PR benefit and showing that it's not about their own greed, but the principle of the situation!

Look it would be different if the writer had produced a story and characters that really were like in the movie, sometimes studios have been horrible to writers, sometimes even outright stealing entire scripts and not paying a penny... requiring real lawsuits and real outcomes... but this? This is the guy who "trip and fall" on the sidewalk outside your store and demands cash money "or I'll SUE!!"... you give him $500 cash because it's WAY cheaper than calling your own attorney, even though you would win for sure. Call it a  "Nuisance fee" or whatever!!! 

12 hours ago, Rick50 said:

LOL!!  That all sounds about right!!

I think you are correct about the numbers the movie will produce... but I think you are wildly overestimating what Paramount will offer the family... I mean, 3% would be HUGE money for people not entitled to any of it, IMO.  I'd expect Paramount to offer them $100k and a fancy SUV and "shut up about this and go away or we'll counter-sue you out of existence!".  I bet Paramount was more likely to give that 3 million to Wounded Warriors or something, the PR benefit and showing that it's not about their own greed, but the principle of the situation!

Look it would be different if the writer had produced a story and characters that really were like in the movie, sometimes studios have been horrible to writers, sometimes even outright stealing entire scripts and not paying a penny... requiring real lawsuits and real outcomes... but this? This is the guy who "trip and fall" on the sidewalk outside your store and demands cash money "or I'll SUE!!"... you give him $500 cash because it's WAY cheaper than calling your own attorney, even though you would win for sure. Call it a  "Nuisance fee" or whatever!!! 

In truth, there was many things that would be "low probability of survival" in that movie!  

WARNING: don't open the spoiler bar below,  it contains SPOILERS!!

Spoiler

Surviving a breakup in the Darkstar ?  VERY highly improbable. Look at the histories of test pilots and Blackbird pilots at far slower speeds than Mach 10, and you'll see what I mean! Long time ago an article about an Eagle driver doing ACM ejected at a little over Mach 1.2, and the ejection almost killed him, very badly injured him.

Edit: Upon seeing an article I'll link to, I'm reminded that a few of the larger fast jets of the old era did feature amazing protections for Mach + ejections, such as on the B-58, F-111 and XB-70 Valkyrie, and probably others I'm forgetting. Scroll down to the bottom part of the article for some youtubes showing some of these:  https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/darkstar-mockup-from-top-gun-maverick-looks-wicked-in-new-video

Flying so close between two Hornets in close formation, probably end in disaster for at least one of them, if not all three pilots (training time)

Having so many modern SAM's fired at you and still carring on the fight... eh...

A "VERY" old Tomcat...  flown by a hotshot that far out of date... that's possible. But no refresher at all, not even a glance at the old handbook after two decades. For an airframe that was probably mildly modified for runway use, tire pressures wrong for carrier landings, absolutely no idea if the hydraulics will work for the arrestor hook?!  Unlikely!

Surviving multiple 30mm cannon hits, and then flying further to the carrier? Yea, that tests my immersion!

But still, it was fun seeing such action anyway, even if not up to DCS standards of realism!

But for a fun "rollercoaster movie" it wins!!

Edited by Rick50

On 5/6/2022 at 12:38 AM, pete_auau said:

Finally  it  going  be  released  here  in Oz  on the  26th of  this  month.

I was on the Enterprise in 85-89, we got into Perth just when the first TopGun was being released.  They filmed part of it on the Big E while we were doing work ups for that 86 cruise. They sent us a copy of the Movie through AFARTS, so we saw it before a lot of other people. 

Sempre Fortis

2 hours ago, Rick50 said:

In truth, there was many things that would be "low probability of survival" in that movie!  

WARNING: don't open the spoiler bar below,  it contains SPOILERS!!

Hide contents

Surviving a breakup in the Darkstar ?  VERY highly improbable. Look at the histories of test pilots and Blackbird pilots at far slower speeds than Mach 10, and you'll see what I mean! Long time ago an article about an Eagle driver doing ACM ejected at a little over Mach 1.2, and the ejection almost killed him, very badly injured him.

Edit: Upon seeing an article I'll link to, I'm reminded that a few of the larger fast jets of the old era did feature amazing protections for Mach + ejections, such as on the B-58, F-111 and XB-70 Valkyrie, and probably others I'm forgetting. Scroll down to the bottom part of the article for some youtubes showing some of these:  https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/darkstar-mockup-from-top-gun-maverick-looks-wicked-in-new-video

Flying so close between two Hornets in close formation, probably end in disaster for at least one of them, if not all three pilots (training time)

Having so many modern SAM's fired at you and still carring on the fight... eh...

A "VERY" old Tomcat...  flown by a hotshot that far out of date... that's possible. But no refresher at all, not even a glance at the old handbook after two decades. For an airframe that was probably mildly modified for runway use, tire pressures wrong for carrier landings, absolutely no idea if the hydraulics will work for the arrestor hook?!  Unlikely!

Surviving multiple 30mm cannon hits, and then flying further to the carrier? Yea, that tests my immersion!

But still, it was fun seeing such action anyway, even if not up to DCS standards of realism!

But for a fun "rollercoaster movie" it wins!!

Darkstar was a SR-72 Concept Prototype Modified with a cockpit in the forward section, the wings, fuselage and dual Engine intakes/Nozzles are exact coopies of the general illustrations of the SR-72's planned engines.

They likely had a full scale mockup already built for wind tunnel testing and just modified it for film use.

Spoiler

As for the Tomcat Sequences, Throwing away obvious Hollywood shortcomings:
-Left Crank and Right Crank and taxi in less than 2 minutes isn't possible, 1 Breaker wouldn't darken the entire rear cockpit, let alone restore it.
-The Constant dis-regard for forbidden maneuvers (Roll, Pitch Yaw and Throttle wise). 
-He didn't exactly "Land" on the carrier now did he?