Top Gun Maverick

pete_auau

On 6/13/2022 at 7:13 AM, NineLine said:

I loved the movie... that is all.

Watched it 3 times as of last evening so far. I guess now I'll wait for DVD...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I love all of the posts arguing about how this should have been more real. Lordy...99% of people don't care. They don't make movies for the 1% of nerds on this forum who know stuff and things or think they do. If they did the movie wouldn't make money. It's why documentaries don't go on the big screen and don't make anywhere near the amount of money that these blockbusters do. After speaking with some of my sim friends and non-sim fans... all of the stuff we (sim fans) think is cool none of the non-sim fans do. The callout to switches in the tomcat or extinguishing the engines in the hornet followed by spooling up the APU... no one cares about except us.

If you want to critique the movie critique the dumb boat scene (albeit with a great joke). And the over the top rivalry between Rooster and Hangman. Instead of the Darkstar crap they should have shown Rooster and Hangman flying in Afghanistan and some mishap that occurred to cause them to hate each other or some additional context to why they cant do this mission without Maverick other than a single line of "just dropping bombs for the last couple decades". Maverick doing Darkstar was cool... but you didnt need that scene to highlight the fact that he's a "maverick". We all know this.

All that being said I rate it as a 8/10; it's an absolutely fantastic movie. Too much CGI in some of the dogfight scenes for me (specifically when they are training; the other stuff is understandable), but seriously a very enjoyable film.

The original is a 10/10 for me. But it's hard to break that bias as it is literally my favorite movie. I still have the original VHS of it that my father got me; I wasnt even 2 yet. 🙂

Edited by Guppy

just to note, everyone on YT, and Movie reviewers saying the "Mystery nation" had to be Iran because of the F-14s.
A. It was described as a breakaway, likely a group of extremists,
B. By the comment above, RU is the only nation with Su-57s, so... the reason for the F-14s is so no one can say it was russia, and the reason for the Su57s is so no one can say it was the IIAF.
C. the F-14A used by the group was not Iranian, as it had the TCS Chinpod with Aero Cover, Iranian Tomcats did not have a TCS Chinpod, so they didnt come from IIAF.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The enemy is clearly Palpatine's Empire, Terran Garrison... the scout force before invasion...

I mean, why else fly through the canyon, to manually hit a 2 meter exhaust port?

"Use Force, Mav" - Goose ghost

5 minutes ago, Rick50 said:

The enemy is clearly Palpatine's Empire, Terran Garrison... the scout force before invasion...

I mean, why else fly through the canyon, to manually hit a 2 meter exhaust port?

"Use Force, Mav" - Goose ghost

Use the Force Rooster, Mav had a working TGP on his Foxtrot.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Loved it. Sure, many things were unrealistic. Not all of them did. The gameplan was actually pretty sound for once. The TGP can't look that far back, but surprisingly enough, a modern Paveway III (which is what they used) can remember the laser's coordinates once dropped and use GPS to make up for its lack, almost like an LJDAM. Having one aircraft lase and the other drop is quite sound, too (and a good idea when you're pressed for time). Dropping PIIIs ballistically could work, if you can mash MFD buttons quickly enough to switch delivery modes while going down the slide.

They still don't know what a hard deck is and a "rocks kill" means Anything that goes below hard deck is dead in a real exercise, it's not just a safety role, but a stand-in for actual ground. They still don't get that HUDs are typically monochrome. SAM scenes were pure Hollywood fantasy (not only did they use flares against a radar SAM, but the SAMs crash into the flares?). The Hornet can't do a Cobra, but it can come pretty damn close, unlike an F-14 (especially if you pull the paddle, like Mav's crew seems to be fond of doing). The Su-57 probably can do the tricks shown here. I wouldn't use asymmetric thrust in the F-14 to maneuver, but I did trap with a dead engine once. Why they aim their bombs with the FPM is anyone's guess, probably because their CCIP pipper was strangely missing (let me guess, to be patched in two or three weeks?). 🙂 Hind with dual miniguns was just weird, it's cool enough with one.

Weirdest thing that bugged me? TLAMs. IRL (and in DCS), these are slooooow. You launch, the op is a go, and then the fleet shoots the Tomahawks and you circle around the holding point waiting for them to get near the target so that you can push and catch up with them. Nothing capable of decent Mach numbers is gonna see them zip by like they did in the movie. 

Also, paddle abuse galore. 🙂 IMO, having Betty whine "Flight controls!, Flight controls!" every time they pulled more than 7.5G would've been a real treat to simmers and real Hornet drivers. Unless it doesn't do that anymore in the Superbug, of course. Taxiway takeoffs... aren't unknown in DCS, either. 🙂 

Overall, I liked the movie. It was pretty fun, and the SFX were awesome. Could've used more realistic dogfights, now that we have better cameras and CGI to fill in the blanks. I actually like the "3D speed chess at 500kts" style of real dogfights. Growling Sidewinder videos are plenty entertaining, even if his opponents aren't quite up to his skill level (when he went up against a real pilot he got his clock cleaned, but it was really something to watch). That said, unlike the first part, I noticed they didn't actually dogfight that much. That's realistic, too, most kills here (both in training and for real) were more or less by surprise. The strikers weren't there to mess with the fighters, and for most part they didn't. Although, the backup should've probably been launched earlier, to give Su-57 something to think about other than the strikers. If they launched the whole crew, the Su-57s would've had to deal with a lot of Superbugs at once, and that's long odds even for 5th generation jets.

• Like 1

Like they said, it´s a love letter to aviation.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Finally saw it yesterday.

The premise of the mission seemed hokey.  Can't use F-35s because of GPS Jamming?  right...

I think there was a little wink to DCS here with the laser code being 1688.

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

11 hours ago, Zad Fnark said:

Finally saw it yesterday.

The premise of the mission seemed hokey.  Can't use F-35s because of GPS Jamming?  right...

I think there was a little wink to DCS here with the laser code being 1688.

1688 is a default laser code.

18 hours ago, Zad Fnark said:

Yeah, especially since there's a much better reason: the F-35 doesn't have the paddle switch, AFAIK. It won't let you over-G the airframe like they did and it simply won't let you past 9G no matter what you do, just like the F-16. They needed up to 9.5G for that last pull, which can only be done in an aircraft that can override its limiter, or one that never had a limiter.

It's a pity they didn't think of it, because otherwise, little details like default laser code or the Tomcat startup sequence (I loved that part, I've been thinking "and now they're gonna start the Tomcat by themselves without ground air or power, good luck with that IRL"... right up until they started to plug both in! They even remembered to stow the pilot's ladder) are done quite well. They could also have acknowledged the paddle by Betty saying "flight controls!" in those moments.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 11:09 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Yeah, especially since there's a much better reason: the F-35 doesn't have the paddle switch, AFAIK. It won't let you over-G the airframe like they did and it simply won't let you past 9G no matter what you do, just like the F-16. They needed up to 9.5G for that last pull, which can only be done in an aircraft that can override its limiter, or one that never had a limiter.

I have not seen the movie (yet), but that reason sounds no less nonsensical to me as the GPS jammer one. I mean, who would look at the situation and go, yeah, I think we're gonna plan our mission so that we'll use aircraft and weapons that can't really do the job properly and break them in the process? Even just the idea that some part of a mission would require a 9.5 G pull seems unrealistic to me, now I really gotta watch that movie so I can figure out how they made that one up 😂

Go see the movie. 🙂 The weapon choice does actually make sense, in fact, they drop the exact thing that's designed for jobs like this (I really loved that they got that right). As for the plane, well, if the mission parameters specify a carrier and a 9.5G pullout, then it really is Superbug or bust, and only because of the paddle.

IRL, it would've been bust. This mission simply wouldn't have happened. Too much risk, no real approach to the target. That said, it also wouldn't have happened for the simple reason the US reacts to situations like these with hand-wringing and strongly worded letters, maybe a few more sanctions if there's anything left to sanction by that point. 

12 hours ago, Aquorys said:

I have not seen the movie (yet), but that reason sounds no less nonsensical to me as the GPS jammer one. I mean, who would look at the situation and go, yeah, I think we're gonna plan our mission so that we'll use aircraft and weapons that can't really do the job properly and break them in the process? Even just the idea that some part of a mission would require a 9.5 G pull seems unrealistic to me, now I really gotta watch that movie so I can figure out how they made that one up 😂

ups! your mindset will lead to disappointment sir. At the end of the day, it´s a Hollywood movie. You want a plausible reason for F-35? No way Navy is going to show avionics like they did with the SuperHornet.
Another one? no 2 seat version so impossible for the actors to fly and film the real thing.
Just grab popcorn, imax theater and enjoy. It´s a great action movie, and amazing sequel and homage to 1986 one.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

1 hour ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

ups! your mindset will lead to disappointment sir. At the end of the day, it´s a Hollywood movie. You want a plausible reason for F-35? No way Navy is going to show avionics like they did with the SuperHornet.
Another one? no 2 seat version so impossible for the actors to fly and film the real thing.
Just grab popcorn, imax theater and enjoy. It´s a great action movie, and amazing sequel and homage to 1986 one.

Considering the G Counter was going up after they had already finished the pull and were just in a steady climb

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

ups! your mindset will lead to disappointment sir. At the end of the day, it´s a Hollywood movie. You want a plausible reason for F-35?

Finding a reason to bring Super Hornets along wouldn't have been all that hard in a realistic scenario. The F-35's would have been the ones to strike the target while the SH's would have been performing CAP and SEAD. I really think a realistic strike would have been more interesting than the canyon thing, not to mention a lot more reasonable.

17 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

That's as valid a way to watch the movie as any other. Some people just want a mind off action experience, some people want more depth. Both are equally valid and criticism isn't just complaining. Personally I just want to see Hollywood go beyond their comfort zone because I think it would make an even better movie.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

29 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

Finding a reason to bring Super Hornets along wouldn't have been all that hard in a realistic scenario. The F-35's would have been the ones to strike the target while the SH's would have been performing CAP and SEAD. I really think a realistic strike would have been more interesting than the canyon thing, not to mention a lot more reasonable.

That's as valid a way to watch the movie as any other. Some people just want a mind off action experience, some people want more depth. Both are equally valid and criticism isn't just complaining. Personally I just want to see Hollywood go beyond their comfort zone because I think it would make an even better movie.

A coworker watched the movie and the next day he explained to us the movie was a bluff because he understood Darkstar Mach 10 equals SuperHornet 10Gs, so I guess for some Hollywood really went the extra mile on TGM 😉

The Actor that plays Hangman has found a new 'niche role.

He's playing a Pilot in the Navy in 2 more movies.