High RAM Usage

Currently running:

i7-6700 (What I would imagine my FPS bottleneck in DCS is)

RTX 2070 Super 8 GB (Upgraded from a 1060 w/ 3 GB marked increase in frames)

32GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM w/ a 16 GB Page File (What programs like HWInfo and Task Manager suggest is the bottle neck - Commonly maxing out at 95-99% usage of physical ram, and swallowing up a good chunk of the page file ranging from 30-60%)

1440p 144 hz monitor w/ Nvidia G-SYNC

My issue is I would imagine my aging CPU is my bottleneck, but like I commented above performance programs I run suggest that DCS absolutely maxes out my RAM. I manage an easy 70-80 frames in simpler missions, even at low altitude, but as soon as I start up missions/multiplayer with real meat to it I'm rocking 20-40, varying heavily on server population and just how girthy the mission is.

Your observation matches others ref the RAM usage.

when you next upgrade, grab at least 64GB of RAM

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

RAM may help a bit, but as someone who's already running 64GB - it's not a full solution. I'm running MSAA/SSAA off - almost all settings on low except textures on medium (so I can read the labels in the Huey - otherwise they're just a blurry mess). Shadows off, terrain shadows off, almost the lowest settings I can run on a 2080 Super with 64GB of RAM, 2 SSD's (one for O/S and one dedicated just for DCS) and while I can do OK in single player - as soon as I hit multiplayer servers I have a wide range of experiences - even when staying with the one server.

CPU aging may be the bottleneck, but newer CPU's aren't going to help much either being a single threaded application.  It seems with my graphics I can increase them a bit and have the same experience - which tells me it's CPU related. I just keep graphics as low as possible to give myself the best 'chance' of having an OK experience online from one session to the other.

Holding out for memory leaks to be corrected (F10 map problems), and like many others Vulcan which will hopefully allow us the option to use a bit more of the resources we've got.

• Like 1