Can a TGP aid in a CCIP drop?

Digitalvole

Been trying to use the tgp whilst dropping mk82s in ccip and beyond scoping out the target area before rolling in I can’t see it as being able to help.

I thought I could get the target diamond to mark the target for me so I have something to aim at as I roll in but this doesn’t seem to be the case as it forces Auto bomb mode.

Is this just the way of things or am I missing something?

Has it always been this way? I mean I assume it is supposed to be like this (which is a bit of a shame) but was this possible when the Hornet first came out? I remember CCIPing onto the target diamond years ago, or was this with the Harrier? 

Anyway, thanks for the answers chaps 👍

• Like 1

You can force CCIP mode with target designated. I am not sure if it is possible in real life, but in DCS after designating target with TPOD, just go to stores page, and force bomb delivery mode to CCIP. You will retain designation diamond and get your CCIP symbology back on the HUD. But just as Swift said - no point in doing so. If you have designation, use AUTO, its more accurate.

2 hours ago, Wroblowaty said:

You can force CCIP mode with target designated. I am not sure if it is possible in real life, but in DCS after designating target with TPOD, just go to stores page, and force bomb delivery mode to CCIP. You will retain designation diamond and get your CCIP symbology back on the HUD.

AFAIK that's a bug.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Indeed a bug. I've never read about CCIP used in conjuction with a designation. While a designation is present, CCIP should always revert to AUTO.

Also, if you have a designation and then switch to a weapon that had CCIP selected, that weapon should also automatically enter AUTO upon selection.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

5 hours ago, Swift. said:

If you've got the TPOD on the target, why do you want CCIP? Just drop it in AUTO.

Same mechanics as you describe, designate with the pod, roll in, fly the thing on the thing, boom

I was attempting to hit targets, such as trucks, with CCIP and not go bellow 12k ft. But I can’t make out ground targets above 10k ft so was hoping the tgp would help me.

Read recently about Hornet pilots in OIF doing CCIP drops and staying above 13k so wanted to give it a try, didn’t say what the target was mind.

3 hours ago, Digitalvole said:

Read recently about Hornet pilots in OIF doing CCIP drops

Sure that's not a mistype/mispeak? I understood the Navy standard in the HORNET to be AUTO drops. They may be doing diving attack runs like CCIP but in AUTO mode. 

4 hours ago, Nealius said:

Sure that's not a mistype/mispeak? I understood the Navy standard in the HORNET to be AUTO drops. They may be doing diving attack runs like CCIP but in AUTO mode. 

Could be, I’ll try and find it today. I was reading the Osprey publishings Hornet units in OIF part one. My memory is not the most reliable 😉

10 hours ago, Tholozor said:

AFAIK that's a bug.

I would tend to believe it isnt.  There are aircraft that operate in this way, the -15E comes to mind. Also an MD/Boeing design. Believe the A-10 does as well. The designation can be independent from the bomb computing.  

I am a pilchard!

just been back through the book and the dumb bomb drop was from 10k feet and CCIP was not mentioned. “Steep dive” lead me to believe it was CCIP but as mentioned here that could just as likely be AUTO.

The 13k ft attack was in fact a guns run, start at 15k and pull up at 13k. That is pretty impressive and I deffo couldn’t do that in DCS! Can’t make out targets in VR from that height.

So I’m an idiot haha! Apologies and I’ll get my coat…