AI FA18C trailing on Tanker i/o refueling

Latest beta

Issue:

AI trailing on Tanker instead of refueling

When ?

If for any reason a group of FA18C fails to refuel (e.g. Stalling while intercepting a tanker) the following group of FA18C will just trail behind the tanker. It looks like the tanker is locked to the the initial FA18C group. Other FA18C groups will just trail along, forming long lines of planes that will eventually run out of gas and crash.

Edited by Lau
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

With the AI F18Cs stalling again while intercepting the tanker this is happening again, following planes on the tanker cue are unable to AAR since the tanker is waiting for the crashed F18C that still sadly will never make it to the tanker. This is a mission braker, since all airframes will subsequently run out of gaz.

Sorry, I have no track, just play with the SIM.

1 hour ago, Lau said:

With the AI F18Cs stalling again while intercepting the tanker this is happening again, following planes on the tanker cue are unable to AAR since the tanker is waiting for the crashed F18C that still sadly will never make it to the tanker. This is a mission braker, since all airframes will subsequently run out of gaz.

Sorry, I have no track, just play with the SIM.

You have making a MP mission or SP?. Recomend add your mission here to review them.

If has a issue with the F/A-18C, make a mission with a S-3 tanker and a hornet, and wait to the issue persist, save a track and post them on that post.

• Like 1

I make a mission with 2x F/A-18C has order to refuel on the S-3 Tanker to test them on the last version of 2.9.3.51704 MT, and yes, the Hornets making a stall with intent intercept the S-3 tanker and continue stall to enter on a deep descense and crash to earth, that has be a confirmed issue. 

Add mission and track.

Hornet_Stall.trk 2_9_2_F-18C_Refueling_CA_2024.miz

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

• ED Team

It should be noted that a good airspeed is required for the tanker, especially if the connecting AI are heavy, if the tanker is to slow they could be close to stall speeds. 

The team will make a tweak for a future patch

thank you

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi @BIGNEWY

250 Kts CAS / 375 Kts GS at FL250 should be plenty for a Max GW F18C. The point is that the current F18C AI code is preventing the AI to fly the airplane properly. Even if the AI F18C stalls from FL250, it should be able to recover. Currently the AI F18C can be seen continuing to stall to the ground at Max Burners with high AOA, the code should allow the AI to give a gentle push to unload wings and recover speed, but it fails in that perspective.

Also and while we are talking about this, it is essential that the code limitations of the KC135 MPRS are addressed. It seems that the stalling AI F18Cs where logged as the next unit in the AAR trailing process by the KC135 MPRS, since the AI F18Cs crashed the AI KC135 MPRS kept waiting for them, not allowing the other planes to refuel. The other planes will then remain stock in the AI KC135 MPRS trail until they run out of gas, failing to accomplish their mission and therefore breaking the scenario.

Thanks,

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, Lau said:

Hi @BIGNEWY

250 Kts CAS / 375 Kts GS at FL250 should be plenty for a Max GW F18C. The point is that the current F18C AI code is preventing the AI to fly the airplane properly. Even if the AI F18C stalls from FL250, it should be able to recover. Currently the AI F18C can be seen continuing to stall to the ground at Max Burners with high AOA, the code should allow the AI to give a gentle push to unload wings and recover speed, but it fails in that perspective.

Also and while we are talking about this, it is essential that the code limitations of the KC135 MPRS are addressed. It seems that the stalling AI F18Cs where logged as the next unit in the AAR trailing process by the KC135 MPRS, since the AI F18Cs crashed the AI KC135 MPRS kept waiting for them, not allowing the other planes to refuel. The other planes will then remain stock in the AI KC135 MPRS trail until they run out of gas, failing to accomplish their mission and therefore breaking the scenario.

Thanks,

Hi

As mentioned we have reported the issue to the team 

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Posted (edited)

@BIGNEWY, @Silver_Dragon, thanks a lot for taking care of this, just please remember that there are two separate bugs in this thread:

1) The F/A18C stalling when performing abrupt maneuvers to try and intercept any tanker as well as being unable to come out of the stall even with sufficient altitude and at full burners.

2) The limitations of the code cueing airframes intending to AAR on tankers, failing to recognize that the next airframe in the cue has crashed and thereafter not allowing any further airframes to refuel, keeping them in the tanker's trail until they run out of gaz.

As for my last message, I was just replying to the implied questions from @BIGNEWY whch was, are the tankers flying with sufficient speed for the hornets to refuel? the answer is yes, the problem of the hornet stalling does not happen during the tanker trailing sequence, it happens if the F18C has to perform abrupt high AOA maneuvers to intercept the tanker, which is most of the time. Please expect an answer to any implied question.

No needs to lock the topic, I am done.

Thanks,

Lau

Edited by Lau