Quick Question VR and Ram

flygav

I came across a pretty good deal on a VR set, however I discovered my PC, although it has I7 CPU. It is maxed out at 16GB Ram. 
Will VR work very well with 16GB? I'm guessing not.

It hardly handles DCS now. I'm not ready to do an upgrade now so I'm thinking of passing on the deal. 

Thank you 

I don’t believe that RAM per say is a limiting factor, though  a lot will depend on the Vr headset you choose, that said VR does place a lot more load on your PC than 2d... As a rule of thumb, if your pc manages 100 FPS in a given scenario, it will likely manage 1/3rd of that in vr (though again a lot will depend on the resolution you currently run at and that of your headset).

I suspect that if your pc is marginal today, the limiting factors will be the cpu and gpu. that said dcs likes a lot of ram, so 32gb will certainly improve your experience in 2d or vr... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 5/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, flygav said:

I came across a pretty good deal on a VR set, however I discovered my PC, although it has I7 CPU. It is maxed out at 16GB Ram. 
Will VR work very well with 16GB? I'm guessing not.

It hardly handles DCS now. I'm not ready to do an upgrade now so I'm thinking of passing on the deal. 

Thank you 

If going VR - expect to compromise a lot - regardless of whether you go with this or more RAM. 

There's nothing like VR for the immersion into the cockpit and the flying, as well as the head tracking. It's brilliant. But forget all those nice video's you see on youtube with the quality of Graphics. Well - infact forget probably even what you currently see on your monitor. VR comes at an expense, and that is the quality of the graphics that you will be seeing. 

Also expect to spend a lot of time trying different settings, different modifications (such as OpenXR), etc to try and get it to work as smoothly as you can get. VR is all about compromise. 

Come in to VR with that expectation and you'll do OK. Come in expecting it to be as good as what you currently have in 2D without complications and it'll be a steep learning curve.

FWIW - I fly almost exclusively VR - and have been willing to make the compromise (jaggies, no shadows, low textures, most things OFF or low, etc) for the VR experience - but even at times I find myself looking at some of the beautiful graphics on youtube that others are experiencing and dreaming about seeing that one day in VR. That's probably 10 years off at a guess though.

Not trying to talk you out of VR - just trying to keep expectations realistic. I went in what I thought at the top was going to be over the top. 2080 Super, 64GB of RAM, 10700K, 2 SSD's (one dedicated to OS and one dedicated to DCS) and still struggled, so personally I wouldn't attempt it with 16GB of RAM. 

What are your specs?

I've never tried 2.7 with less than 32GB, but flew around in 2.5 for a long time with 16.  Just don't get too excited about MP.  

I expect the main question is gonna be GPU, you need enough to even do solo missions.  CPU/RAM is gonna limit MP, complex single player missions (with a lot of units either sitting there or running around), carrier ops and stuff like that.  

Also what kind of VR headset you're getting.  Just to dip your toe in the water, if you can snag a used Rift S for not too much money and have anything better than a Vega56 we may be in business here... 

Rift S is a great little headset actually.  Great displays, generally punches way above its class. 

Some of it depends on the module.  The free A4 module looks fantastic in the Rift S.  I competed (not well mind you) in the F15 using a Rift S and a Vega56.  Did a lot of hours in the F18 and some in the F16.  C101 looks great.  F14 was kind of a blurry mess. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder