AC generators switch off at hover take-off at winter time.

JetJake76
Go to solution Solved by AeriaGloria,

Hello,

I have problems with Mi-24 hover take-off at winter. A few moments after my helicopter lifts off, I experience disconnection of one or both of AC generators. Disconnection of both generators causes autopilot to turn off, so I need to land, reconnect the AC transformers and restart autopilot dampers (yaw, pitch and roll). Rolling takeoff succeeds with no problem.

I guess it's not a bug, but a real life problem caused by low temperature. Maybe there is another heating system to turn on that I do not know about? Maybe I need to wait a couple of minutes before increasing collective? No info in the manual nor the Chuck Guide. I switched on the engine anti icing and battery heating.

I have attached an example track below.

Mi-24 winter takeoff.trk

• Solution
1 hour ago, JetJake76 said:

Hello,

I have problems with Mi-24 hover take-off at winter. A few moments after my helicopter lifts off, I experience disconnection of one or both of AC generators. Disconnection of both generators causes autopilot to turn off, so I need to land, reconnect the AC transformers and restart autopilot dampers (yaw, pitch and roll). Rolling takeoff succeeds with no problem.

I guess it's not a bug, but a real life problem caused by low temperature. Maybe there is another heating system to turn on that I do not know about? Maybe I need to wait a couple of minutes before increasing collective? No info in the manual nor the Chuck Guide. I switched on the engine anti icing and battery heating.

I have attached an example track below.

Mi-24 winter takeoff.trk 904.95 kB · 0 downloads

I can’t watch the track yet. But if you turned on anti ice, even though it doesn’t eliminate/reduce damage from icing currently, it’s power draw is functional. You will see it decrease right engine power on EPR gauge. Dust protection takes 100 HP from each engine and decreases max take off weight by 200 kg. Anti icing decreases max take off weight by 700 kg!! 

In colder temperatures you can actually perform better becuase of denser air, but right now in sim we can’t use anti icing properly. So until your engine begins to die from ice or ED adds anti icing functionality in a future patch, you can use full power! Until you’re engine dies from ice Atleast. 

And if we take those horse power figures and apply the same difference to max takeoff weight penalty, it’s possible the anti icing uses up to almost 16% power of the engines whereas dust protection only uses 4.5%. 

So being more gentle, less takeoff weight, using rolling take offs to deal with high weight, using Differing amounts and combinations of these is your key to survival….. once the anti icing does its job. Or if you want to turn it on before it does anything to practice the final/most realistic procedure. 

When anti icing is fully implemented, we’ll probably also have the icing automatic detector implemented. So you’ll only really need to turn on anti icing when you get a big red caution light and Rita both saying “ICING.” 

Edited by AeriaGloria
  • Like 3

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Also there is the battery heat switch on the right panel, which was the correct function to enable when I encountered the issue on a very cold mission map (Caucasus).

At the time it felt very fidelic, and as the module is not documented (aka "early release") I was not able to judge what was actually working, what only pretended to be working and wheter it should or should not be like that (module-wise, fidelity is a different issue on top).

22 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

...if you turned on anti ice, even though it doesn’t eliminate/reduce damage from icing currently, it’s power draw is functional. You will see it decrease right engine power on EPR gauge

That's the point, if I don't turn the anti-icing on, I can do a hover take off with no problem. Thank you for your reply.

3 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

You did not monitor the main rotor RPM. Thus, you failed to manage it.

Thank you for your advice, too. When I try to hover take off with the anti-icing system on, at some point the rotor RPM decreases when I increase the collective. Then it goes below the lower limit yellow bar and the AC generators stop working. So, instead of increasing the collective, I began a slow, slow transition to level flight and it worked.

Is it possible to mark two replies as the solution?