Valve Index and OpenXR Toolkit

Hartsblade

Hey guys, I've been running fholger's vrperfkit with my Index for a bit now, but I keep seeing threads about the OpenXR tool kit and I'm wondering if anyone is using it with the Index.

I've tried to wade through the various threads (one being 72 pages long!), but just not sure if it works with the Index or the correct steps to getting it up and running.

Is there anyone that can give a quick run down on if the OpenXR Toolkit is working with the Index and the steps needed for setting it up?

Thanks in advance.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

18 hours ago, Hartsblade said:

Hey guys, I've been running fholger's vrperfkit with my Index for a bit now, but I keep seeing threads about the OpenXR tool kit and I'm wondering if anyone is using it with the Index.

I've tried to wade through the various threads (one being 72 pages long!), but just not sure if it works with the Index or the correct steps to getting it up and running.

Is there anyone that can give a quick run down on if the OpenXR Toolkit is working with the Index and the steps needed for setting it up?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure it’s possible with DCS at present. The OpenXR mod works by translating Steam’s OpenVR into OpenXR, but it also bypasses the SteamVR hence the supported headset has to have direct access to OpenXR. I think the Valve Index can only use OpenXR via Steam so it won’t work with DCS. 

For the very few games out there that use native OpenXR API (MSFS, Hubrix demo), the toolkit should work. 

The devs can probably make it run via Steam’s OpenXR, but the very purpose of this mod is to reduce Steam overhead by bypassing SteamVR so even if it works you won’t see any performance increase. 

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

4 hours ago, Supmua said:

Not sure it’s possible with DCS at present. The OpenXR mod works by translating Steam’s OpenVR into OpenXR, but it also bypasses the SteamVR hence the supported headset has to have direct access to OpenXR. I think the Valve Index can only use OpenXR via Steam so it won’t work with DCS. 

For the very few games out there that use native OpenXR API (MSFS, Hubrix demo), the toolkit should work. 

The devs can probably make it run via Steam’s OpenXR, but the very purpose of this mod is to reduce Steam overhead by bypassing SteamVR so even if it works you won’t see any performance increase. 

Thanks for your reply. I kinda thought that was the case, but was having trouble sorting through the forum threads.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

1 hour ago, Hartsblade said:

Thanks for your reply. I kinda thought that was the case, but was having trouble sorting through the forum threads.

With the latest SteamVR beta, I don’t see significant performance difference between OpenVR vs OpenXR mode on my Aero headset so I’m actually using Steam’s OpenVR mostly these days.  I think Steam’s OpenVR mode is just fine for SteamVR headsets such as Index. 

• Like 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 minute ago, Supmua said:

With the latest SteamVR beta, I don’t see significant performance difference between OpenVR vs OpenXR mode on my Aero headset so I’m actually using Steam’s OpenVR mostly these days.  I think Steam’s OpenVR mode is just fine for SteamVR headsets such as Index. 

Good to know, thank you again!

And if you like post processing utility, Reshade 5 is highly recommended.  Back when I was still using the Index, Reshade made me feel like getting a new headset with just sharpening filter.  There is a Reshade guide in the Varjo general guide thread which is applicable to any SteamVR headsets, the suggested numbers won’t be the same due to different screen types and resolutions.

Edited by Supmua

2 hours ago, Supmua said:

And if you like post processing utility, Reshade 5 is highly recommended.  Back when I was still using the Index, Reshade made me feel like getting a new headset with just sharpening filter.  There is a Reshade guide in the Varjo general guide thread which is applicable to any SteamVR headsets, the suggested numbers won’t be the same due to different screen types and resolutions.

I was using the SharperEye Reshade mod from speed-of-heat's guide alongside the fsr 2.x mod, but after moving up to vrperfkit I haven't added SharperEye back in.