Micro Stutters Rift S

Ramires

Hey Gents,

I'm struggling with VR in DCS, especially on the Syria Map. The funny thing is that I've noted the problems after a few sessions after an DCS update. So it might run smooth for two or three times and then it start with micro stuttering. I tested pretty much every possible setting (íncluding nVidia settings)  , but nothing really helped. The RAM is at an constantly high level of about 28-30GB on the Syria map. Reducing the garphic settings in DCS shows pretty much no effect.

I have an Oculus Rift S, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080

Thanks

hace 2 horas, Ramires dijo:

Hey Gents,

I'm struggling with VR in DCS, especially on the Syria Map. The funny thing is that I've noted the problems after a few sessions after an DCS update. So it might run smooth for two or three times and then it start with micro stuttering. I tested pretty much every possible setting (íncluding nVidia settings)  , but nothing really helped. The RAM is at an constantly high level of about 28-30GB on the Syria map. Reducing the garphic settings in DCS shows pretty much no effect.

I have an Oculus Rift S, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080

Thanks

Hi, check if fos some reason you checked or activated the vsync option in DCS and/or in Nvidia control panel,

In other ways, witch what module the micro suttering appears, in my case, starts with the apache, the solution in my rig is going to DCS settings and set the graphics options to middle, not the terrain graphics. In the Apache module has (IMO) no difference in visuals on the cockpit, but the performance goes much better.

In the other hand, see if you are changing the ASW mode in the oculus headset (if I remember was done with "ctrl" or "alt" + "1 to 5" keypad press) maybe this should change your performance...

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

• ED Team

Just checking, there is a known issue with wingwin scripts creating cpu spikes, disabling it if you a wingwin throttle may help. If you dont it maybe worth checking your scripts folder in saved games dcs folder anyway.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

hace 5 horas, jnr4817 dijo:

I was getting micro stutters too in my rift s. To help. I’m running lower gfx settings and am using the 2k cockpit texture mod for Apache. I also don’t use ASW, can’t stand the way it looks. Only thing I use OTT for is changing  pd to 1.5. 

hi, where can I found the 2k copkit texture mod for the Apache?

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

Do you have hot plug enabled? If so you might want to try disabling it. If I remember correctly, this caused some people to have stutter issues. It's in settings under controls, bottom left side of screen.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

17 hours ago, ddc196 said:

Do you have hot plug enabled? If so you might want to try disabling it. If I remember correctly, this caused some people to have stutter issues. It's in settings under controls, bottom left side of screen.

Sorry I didn't get it. Where and what do you mean?🙈

In DCS, go controls then disable hot plugging

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

What Lange said, at the top of the home screen click the gear icon (settings), go to controls tab, at the bottom right of that window you'll see hot plug. Disable that.

Edited by ddc196

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

16 hours ago, ddc196 said:

What Lange said, at the top of the home screen click the gear icon (settings), go to controls tab, at the bottom right of that window you'll see hot plug. Disable that.

Thanks guys, haven't noticed an improvement so far. But continue to check out tomorrow.

Yes HAGS has been turned off. 
I switched on the "Force Mipmap Gen. On All Layers" option in the Oculus debug tool. Did not solve the issue but it feels like a small improvement concerning the stutters.

Microstutter -- if that's what you are experiencing --  is caused by frame rate / refresh rate mismatch.  Easy way to test this is to turn motion reprojection on.  Is Oculus -- ahem "meta" -- still calling that "ASW"?  If so, turn it on and see if that solves your problem

If it does, you have options:

• Keep motion reprojection on (I know not everybody likes to do that, because of the artifact)
  • Turn your settings down so you can consistently hold 80fps
  • Turn your settings up so your framerates are consistently between 40 and 60fps.  

If you're running at 40fps, each frame will be displayed twice.  You'll suffer from slow framerates -- watch the horizon and do a barrel roll, and you'll see what I mean -- but there will be no microstutter.  At 80fps, each frame is displayed once; likewise, no microstutter (but with the benefit of a higher framerate). 

As you increase framerates from 40, most frames will be displayed twice, and occasionally you'll get an early frame.  As you decrease framerates from 80, most frames will be displayed once, with an occasional dropped frame.

I think the dropped frames are way more annoying than early frames, hence the recommendation to run in the lower end of that 40-80fps range. 

Back when I had a Rift S, I shot for a GPU time of 20ms, and that seemed to work OK for me.  I had the opposite problem: I was trying to flog a Vega56 fast enough to keep up.  If your 3080 can't consistently hold 80fps, you may need to slow that beast down a little bit.  

Note, the easiest way to to that is to crank up supersampling.  There are other ways of doing it.  Pixel density can help but it's tricky to manage, as performance varies (inversely) with the square of PD, so take it easy.   You could crank up clouds and shadows, but note that'll affect your CPU times as much as your GPU times.  You could try turning on MSAA, and probably have plenty of horsepower to do that.  But,  I feel supersampling is the easiest to get just right, and it makes the Rift S look fantastic

ETA: one way or another, we need some numbers.  CPU and GPU render times are way more helpful than the FPS counter

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder