AI Wingmen Refuse To Launch Fox-1 & Fox-3 Missiles/Activate Radar

I have done some testing and at the moment AI wingmen within your own flight outright refuse to launch BVR radar-guided missiles at A-A targets. Other allied groups and enemy AI will still launch these weapons, but when commanded, AI wingmen will simply push until they are within range of an IR guided missile and, assuming they've survived that long, will fire an AIM-9 or R-73 instead. This absolutely applies to all versions of the AIM-54 Phoenix and all versions of the AIM-120 AMRAAM across all airframes. It also appears to apply to the AIM-7 Sparrow and the R-77. The only oddball exception seems to be that AI MiG-29 wingmen will still engage using R-27Rs & R-27ERs. The Su-27 and J-11A both seem reluctant to use any version of the R-27 and follow the same script of flying toward the enemy until within range of their short-range heat-seeking missiles.

In these tests it also seems as though the wingmen never actually turn their radars on at all, even if directly instructed to do so. 

I believe this behavior is the result of the most recent Open Beta update as these same missions were played a few weeks ago with AI wingmen launching these weapons at will.

The simplest way of testing this for yourselves is to fly the F/A-18C BVR 8v8 Instant Action mission. You will notice that the second flight will launch their AMRAAMs and Sparrows, but your own wingmen will not. 

Edited by 77StevenV
  • Like 2

Completely agree.

AI wingmen will now not shoot FOX 3s at all. In the attached trackfile, #4 shoots both AIM-9s then follows a bandit trying to get into guns range, but never uses his AIM-120. (They also completely fail to react to a threat at their 6 o'clock, but that's another issue I guess). This with the radar option in the ME set to "Use For Continuous Search". 

In one bug, ED has basically completely ruined DCS as single player "Air Combat" simulator. How is a bug like this allowed to happen?

ED needs some serious changes to their internal processes, because they are breaking more things than they are fixing at the moment.

P.S. The FOX3 in the TacView was my own shot, not AI.

A2A AI Bug.trk

Edited by norman99
  • Like 2

Not sure if this has been covered, but my AI wingmen won't fire AIM-120s in either the F-16 or F-18. Noticed it after the last update. They'll fire 9Xs... Let me know if anyone has covered this or experienced it...knows how to fix.

"AI wingmen will now not shoot FOX 3s at all"  it is not fully true

wingman launch any fox BUT  only on close range(near 3-10 km)... if wingman have aim9 and 120 then he will use aim9 , if only 120 then he will use 120 BUT  only on short range distance

wingman dont launch any fox in BVR or range more then 10 km 😞

Excellent overview already provided ^ just wanted to add that without having to change any settings or missions, the release branch aka previous openbeta works just fine (2.7.11.22211). Wingmen will turn on their radars and engage in BVR as has always been expected.

As for close-range launches it's still only Fox2s, verging on minimum range, and unreliably. Can't speak for Hornet, but currently wingmen Eagles and Vipers will never, ever launch 120Cs. Regardless of situation/range/aspect/target, even if they have run out of Fox2s. 

• Like 1

5800X3D - X570 Impact - 32GB - 4070 Ti Eagle - Caselabs S3 | Gunfighter Mk3 Rev.C retrofit + MCGU + 100mm / STECS Standard + SEM / WW ICP / T-rudders Mk4 / TrackIR