Amraam/R-77/SD-10 vs Chaff

Skyracer

From i understand that in real life is that chaff irl works by reflecting away the radar beams. And that will create a shadow/blind spot for the radar. However i tested this in dcs it does not seem to work that way. My preferred method in dcs is the following

1. LOS

2. Drain the missile from its energy

3. Notch it

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

Chaff reflecting the radar beams doesn't occlude things, it just produces clutter so that the missile can't figure out which reflections are from chaff and which ones from the aircraft. In DCS, countermeasure modeling is greatly simplified.

And yeah, IRL, it is always better to terrain mask or defeat the missile kinematically. You can't only rely on chaff, and it's most useful when trying to outturn the missile to increase your window for a successful break, or when fighting Fox 1's, to make the painting aircraft lose lock. Notching is overmodeled in DCS, IRL it's not nearly as reliable.

Edited by Dragon1-1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 11:20 PM, Skyracer said:

From i understand that in real life is that chaff irl works by reflecting away the radar beams. And that will create a shadow/blind spot for the radar. However i tested this in dcs it does not seem to work that way. My preferred method in dcs is the following

1. LOS

2. Drain the missile from its energy

3. Notch it

Chaff is not a mirror radar energy will still make it through what you get is the same effect as a noise jammer it just reduces detection range.  For modern systems though the amount of chaff needed to achieve usable results against PD radars is immense.

• 2 weeks later...