No TACAN to tanker

Tomcatter87

If I use Jester to locate the tanker via TACAN, I can see bearing and range for some seconds, but both vanish after some time. It was working before - is that a bug or is there a workaround?

• Like 1

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Currently in DCS Open Beta you have to use T/R for tankers. A/A only works for fighter to fighter.

Not sure if this is a bug or feature.

Edit: OH wait you're using Jester to do it? Hmm I dunno then. Maybe he didn't get the memo to use T/R mode. I haven't tested it via Jester yet.

Edited by Callsign JoNay

I think something similar is happening with the carrier as well in Instant Action recovery missions. TACAN works as I approach the carrier, and then after the break bearing and range information disappear. It was working well before. I am using the stable version

• Like 1

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

There's two ways you can set up a Tacan for a unit (ship or tanker). Either via waypoint actions or via triggered actions. The latter seems to be bugged sometimes so try using a waypoint action at waypoint 0.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

15 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Currently in DCS Open Beta you have to use T/R for tankers. A/A only works for fighter to fighter.

Is this only for the Tomcat? A/A works in the Hornet for tankers, or at least partially. T/R is sour for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

Is this only for the Tomcat? A/A works in the Hornet for tankers, or at least partially. T/R is sour for me.

Really? Very weird. I just made a miz to test it. I made a client slot for a F-14B and an F-18. I made three tankers, an S-3 (3Y), a 130 (2Y), and a 135MPRS (1Y). In the F-18 I don't get TACAN information on any of them if I have the : next to A/A. I only get sweet TACAN if I remove the :.

In the Tomcat I'm getting a sweet TACAN on both A/A and T/R, so that's inconsistent with what my understanding of the current TACAN modelling is. (My fault for replying to things before properly testing myself). All I know is some of the guys in my wing have reported broken tanker TACANs in some of our F-14 training miz files, and they were able to fix it by switching to T/R. But yeah...both of the modes seem to work on my end.

• Like 1

I don’t know if it’s properly implemented in DCS, but try the following:

Set the Tanker Tacan to 92y. Set 29y A/A Tacan in your own jet and see if it works. That’s how it’s often done in real life. 
Btw, it doesn’t have to be the 92/29 combination. Any two numbers that are 63 apart works. 92/29 is just easy to remember. 

2 hours ago, Matze81 said:

I don’t know if it’s properly implemented in DCS, but try the following:

Set the Tanker Tacan to 92y. Set 29y A/A Tacan in your own jet and see if it works. That’s how it’s often done in real life. 
Btw, it doesn’t have to be the 92/29 combination. Any two numbers that are 63 apart works. 92/29 is just easy to remember. 

It doesn't work that way in the mission editor. When creating a tanker you assign it a TACAN value that the clients are supposed to use. Just like the various ground TACAN stations around the map.

Edited by Callsign JoNay

I've been using channels like 63Y. Tune to 63Y, A/A, I get DME but no bearing. My understanding is the DME part is realistic, but like Matze said I should be required to set my TACAN 63 away. Currently that part doesn't work. Occasionally I get channels that don't work at all, like 28Y. No permutation of T/R, A/A, X/Y, or even 63 away will work. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Oh wait, I'm dumb. I forgot to respect this TACAN chart when i was testing the Hornet. 

ntrgqfC.png

That's probably why I wasn't getting anything with A/A set. Interesting how regulsr T/R gave me perfect range and bearing to 1, 2, and 3 Y.

I've not seen that chart before? Is that tracking the bug or is that realistic. Are we not supposed to use those channels? 

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

That chart doesn't seem to be completely implemented in DCS. I often use 29Y for tankers and it works fine in the Hornet and Tomcat despite supposedly being unavailable.

With Link16/MIDS DL active at the same time?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 5/13/2022 at 6:21 PM, QuiGon said:

With Link16/MIDS DL active at the same time?

In the Hornet I assume so, since TACAN ON automatically activates those as well. Those channels also worked on the Viper and Hog in the past, but I haven't flown either of those in roughly a year. 

• Like 1

I did a little bit more testing with the Tomcat TACAN this morning. On one of my older missions I see some weird behavior. There's a CVN-72 (72X) and a nearby S-3 (1Y).There's also a few other things in the miz, but nothing with competing TACANs. On entry into the cockpit via parking/hot it auto selects the TACAN to 1Y A/A, but I get a sour signal. I only get a sweet TACAN on 1X T/R mode which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I created a brand new miz with only the CVN-72 and S-3, both same TACAN settings as the old miz. On the new miz the 1Y A/A settings works perfectly and gives me bearing and range to the S-3, as does the 72X T/R for the boat.

Very weird. The only difference between the two miz files aside from less stuff, is on the older miz I set the CVN TACAN via trigger rules and on the new miz I set the TACAN via the regular advanced waypoint actions method. So I wonder if there is a conflict with that, or maybe missions created on a much older version of the OB have TACAN problems. It's a mystery. 🤷‍♂️

I've got the same problem. Appeared in the last couple of weeks. 

TACAN is on and works perfectly in T/R mode to carrier, but I can't find any tankers.

To navigate to tanker my procedure is as follows:
1: Set TACAN to A/A
2: Set TACAN chn. as on kneeboard

I'm playing with VR, so the screenshot is not optimal, but hopefully you can see my kneeboard, Arco (S-3B) in front of me, and the TACAN setting. And the fact that the TACAN can't find anything.
Can anyone see anything I might be doing wrong? If not this is definitely a bug.

tacan.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same Problem, Carrier works fine.

Tanker works for a short time in the Reforger  Campaign Mission 2, but after a few seconds it's gone. 

Tanker does not work in the Caucasus Refuling Quick Mission in a/a mode at all but does seem to work in the t/r mode. 

Tried all in the F14B.

• Like 2

Hello there. 

I have a similar problem on the mirage. When I'm uisng A/A for the tanker, I have the course but not the range. I thought it was supposed to be this way and I didn't complain. 

After reading this topic yesterday, I tried with T/R and it works fine. I have the course + the range.

Interesting, in my own missions when set to A/A I get bearing (even though bearing is disabled in the mission editor for the TACAN) and range - like I would in TR to a ground station. Doesn't matter if I do it or Jester does it either.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...

I was playing the LANTIRN training day mission in the F14. At some point I had to rejoin the tanker, and the TACAN did not work neither in A/A nor T/R, or neither when I set it myself nor through Jester. TACAN back to carrier was working fine. Am using the stable version of DCS

Edited by Dentedend10

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

4 hours ago, Dentedend10 said:

Am using the stable version of DCS

Workaround was implemented already in latest beta, at least for Jester.

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria