Using BALT properly

I'm fairly sure I'm the problem here, but I'm having issues getting the BALT A/P mode to work.  In the F/A-18C module, I have to practically have the plane trimmed to the point that I don't even need BALT before it will finally engage.  Any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong?

On another note, I thought it was supposed to be a self-trimming plane, but I'm finding that if you don't have the A/P engaged in at least one mode or another, it'll drift on you and quickly.  Up, down, left, right, seems random, but I can't trust it to let go of the stick for more than maybe a few seconds.  It's not my stick, it's a brand new x56 and I've checked all the calibration and it's rock solid steady in the middle when I let go, so much so I don't even need a dead zone.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You might want to check and see if any of your controls are double mapped. Otherwise you shouldn’t suddenly lose control without your hand on the stick. The Hornet is self trimming although I find myself needing to adjust the trim if I’m way out of balance like dropping heavy stores from one wing. I think the auto trimming is limited to the pitch axis. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I have an X55. It always took me 3-4 attempts to engage BALT. Added a 10 point dead zone and it worked flawlessly, first time, ever since. It also stopped the plane ‘drifting’ away from wherever I put it. The X55/56s get a bad rap, and are definitely usable for DCS, but they are not ultra precise, no matter how new yours may be.

On a related note, trim shouldn’t be touched in flight except for two reasons. Laterally balancing non-symmetrical loads, and when trimming for AOA during landing. Other than that, forget the trim switch exists. (Emergencies aside.)

Edited by norman99
  • Like 1

With the Hornet...I noticed that if B alt isnt holding like it should, then you have a slight movement in the stick that wont center. A small deadzone will solve that..I had a similar problem with my current stick as its very sensitive to movement, so I put a deadzone of 1 on both X and Y axes to neutralize that issue. Yes, its a $600+ stick, yes I have a deadzone for it in the hornet. The slightest movement away from center is enough to keep BALT from engaging.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

I agree, I'd put in a small pitch dead zone. I had to do that on my VKB stick. I use BAlt quite a bit. You notice that using any one of the AP modes makes the rest feel stiff. So I use BAlt and while it doesn't completely eliminate roll, it makes it much less likely to head off left or right. Something else I discovered a few weeks ago is the couple mode. If you are flying a route of waypoints hit 'waypoint', the top right button on the SA screen and then hit 'auto' which is the bottom right button. These put distance to the next waypoint in the hud and automatically moves that display to the next waypoint as you pass over the current one. Now if you hit AP and COPL (?) the plane will automatically fly your waypoint route. Hit BAlt also and you have a fully functioning auto pilot. You can couple to course I think  but haven't tried that yet.

2 hours ago, CBStu said:

If you are flying a route of waypoints hit 'waypoint', the top right button on the SA screen and then hit 'auto' which is the bottom right button.

Sometimes when I hit the "Auto" button, it doesn't work.  I don't know if I'm outside of some parameter or if it's a bug, but as far as I can tell so far it just seems random, like it just doesn't feel like working occasionally.  

One thing I've noticed about BALT (for me, anyway) is the closer I am to already level, the less likely to engage.  If I'm climbing or descending at 1,000 fpm and hit it, it'll kick in (somewhat violently), but if I'm close to level it just doesn't want to engage.  I don't understand that, it makes no sense to me, but it is what it is.  Again, I think I'm missing some parameter, but I don't know what it is.  Other times, it says "no thanks" at first, but then 10 or 15 seconds later, it comes to life.

I have seen the 'auto' button not do anything sometimes also. Not sure why. Like you I think maybe there are some conditions that need to be met, or a certain sequence of buttons push for it to operate. It will always come on when I try it a little later. I have only been using it for a month or so and at that time in a mission there isn't a lot going on so it hasn't caused enough problem to worry about it.  There are quite a few missions w/ pretty long waypoint legs and there are missions that I am on my 3rd try to win. With those I really like the combination of BALT and AUTO waypoints when I hit the fast forward buttons.

• 2 weeks later...
Am 12.5.2022 um 17:08 schrieb KevyKevTPA:

Sometimes when I hit the "Auto" button, it doesn't work.  I don't know if I'm outside of some parameter or if it's a bug, but as far as I can tell so far it just seems random, like it just doesn't feel like working occasionally.  

On the right column on the bottom of the HSI menu, you choose the Sequence (SEQ). Basically you can set up 3 different Sequences and pushing that button toggles through those sequences. Most of the time in DCS this will be only Sequence 1 (SEQ1).

BUT when you toggle through there, you will realize, that first it will show SEQ1 (unboxed). Here you can push the SEQUFC on the left and modify the sequence but you can not choose the AUTO option. When you toggle once more, it will show SEQ1(boxed)! Now you can choose AUTO, but you can not modify the sequence.

on the next toggle, it will show SEQ2(unboxed). Next SEQ2(boxed)…and so forth…

AUTO only means, that the waypoints will jump to the next one automatically once you reach the current WP, regardless of the fact if you use A/P with it or not.

• Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png