Track file replay shows me crashing, but I didn't really crash... ?

Fulgrim
Go to solution Solved by dark_wood,

As title. I took off a couple hours ago because I wanted to document a bug with the Viper's JSOWs, I managed to launch 4 JSOWs between evading SAMs by diving; however, when I'm replaying the track it shows me crashing after launching the first one.

Aren't tracks supposed to be 1:1 copies of the game?

Thanks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dark_wood said:

See here some answers: 

Hope it helps 🙂

Oh, this is a bummer, I had documented the bug perfectly and was looking forward to opening the ticket. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, at least I know I wasn't day dreaming! 😂

It's funny because my TacView replay shows me crashing, yet the server's TV shows me living...

Edited by Fulgrim
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I am seeing something like that too...

I have like 6 track files for F18 carrier landings, all of them good landings. I have even replayed them for friends... no problem.

But today, I replayed on of them... all good... until I turned final and the meatball overlay shows up... and it just veer right slowly, and keep turning right and descend, and eventually into the sea. Then I replayed all other 5... all the same... as soon as the meatball overlay showed up, they all do exactly the same to the right and into the sea.

Imprecision can't be that imprecise! I am a programmer. I don't believe one bit this is imprecision or rounding error... I mean, common... going straight versus sharply veer right can't be explained with imprecision... no way! It's just too big a difference. Something about the replay changed and broke it! And all 6 track files???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hempstead said:

Well... I am seeing something like that too...

I have like 6 track files for F18 carrier landings, all of them good landings. I have even replayed them for friends... no problem.

But today, I replayed on of them... all good... until I turned final and the meatball overlay shows up... and it just veer right slowly, and keep turning right and descend, and eventually into the sea. Then I replayed all other 5... all the same... as soon as the meatball overlay showed up, they all do exactly the same to the right and into the sea.

Imprecision can't be that imprecise! I am a programmer. I don't believe one bit this is imprecision or rounding error... I mean, common... going straight versus sharply veer right can't be explained with imprecision... no way! It's just too big a difference. Something about the replay changed and broke it! And all 6 track files???

The problem is the way track files work. TacView works on a principle of logging the world-space coordinates of everything and storing it at any given moment (hence why long acmi tracks are so large). DCS tracks operate on recording inputs for playback; it's not a recording of all events, it's re-simulating. This is why longer tracks end up desynced from actual events, because they're not perfectly recorded. Tracks between different versions of DCS can also have vastly different results if something such as a flight model change was made to an aircraft. The original track would play back the inputs according to the model it had been played on originally.

• Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

16 hours ago, Tholozor said:

The problem is the way track files work. TacView works on a principle of logging the world-space coordinates of everything and storing it at any given moment (hence why long acmi tracks are so large). DCS tracks operate on recording inputs for playback; it's not a recording of all events, it's re-simulating. This is why longer tracks end up desynced from actual events, because they're not perfectly recorded. Tracks between different versions of DCS can also have vastly different results if something such as a flight model change was made to an aircraft. The original track would play back the inputs according to the model it had been played on originally.

Are you saying you don't see this behavior in replay?

Also, I should add that, while it's doing the veering right, I could see there is no input to the simulated control stick doing the severe right banking. And, the control stick would still show the small banking right/left, and the aircraft would bank right/left accordingly, just with that extra out of nowhere banking/turning right.

I have not tried newly recorded track files... I should try record another track with this version and replay and see if it happens again to help ED narrow this down, instead of categorically blaming it on replay imprecision.

Replay is definitely bugged regarding carrier landing.

I just recorded another track of carrier landing... replayed back immediately... touched nothing. The balked landing worked just fine... the last real landing, it did not veer off, however it does not catch the wire, and it started veering off.

However, my F16 aerial refueling track files recorded and replayed just fine, new and old track files.

3 hours ago, Hempstead said:

Replay is definitely bugged regarding carrier landing.

I just recorded another track of carrier landing... replayed back immediately... touched nothing. The balked landing worked just fine... the last real landing, it did not veer off, however it does not catch the wire, and it started veering off.

However, my F16 aerial refueling track files recorded and replayed just fine, new and old track files.

How about doing touch and go on the carrier with F-16 - let's see how it goes on the track 🙂

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 5/31/2022 at 12:54 PM, Hempstead said:

Something about the replay changed and broke it

Nothing changed. It's been like that for years. Sometimes you get lucky, most times you don't.

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

• 5 months later...

I had this replay problem as well. I would land perfect on the carrier then watch the replay crash my F18c into the sea 200 meters away from the carrier. Every replay was the same. Crash, crash, crash. I rolled back a few releases until I got to 2.7.16.28157 and now all my tracks replay as recorded. Not sure if will fix everyone's issues but for me it was the solution.

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 5800h - NVIDIA 3070 - 32 GB RAM - 1TB SSD - Mi 27" monitor - Titan Wolf Hotas