Something fast - or something slow…?

rkk01

What will you do….

Months ago, my plans for this map centred around fjords, mossies and ships

right now though - what to do???

jump in something fast like the Mirage and bez around the map for a quick look-see???

or have a real good look around in the Gazelle…?

choices, choices

• Like 2

I want to try my hand at long range old-school navigation on a ww2 bird … wanna try the P-47 with a chilean livery (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315263/) , on a joint exercise with the FAA, flying from Rio Gallegos to Malvinas, on a fictional situation where the UK returned the islands to argentina after ww2.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

MB-339!!!

• Like 4

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Im going to wait to see if its hobbled like Syria or its well made. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

13 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

Im going to wait to see if its hobbled like Syria or its well made. 

I have no problems with the Syria map and I enjoy it. Not my favourite map, but still a very good one.

I think the SA map will be good and will also see updates and improvements. 

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

9 hours ago, Beirut said:

I have no problems with the Syria map and I enjoy it. Not my favourite map, but still a very good one.

I think the SA map will be good and will also see updates and improvements. 

As a helo player it Drives me nuts. All that detail wasted on unchecked topography, a render distance made to suit Mr Magoo and bugs that have been around so long theyre about to be inducted into the R&R hall of fame. 

er… ymmv 🙂

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

44 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

As a helo player it Drives me nuts. All that detail wasted on unchecked topography, a render distance made to suit Mr Magoo and bugs that have been around so long theyre about to be inducted into the R&R hall of fame. 

er… ymmv 🙂

I know it's not perfect, but it is good. And happiness is the art of the possible. It's not possible for me to fly a full fidelity Ka-50 across that region and blow ch1t up in any other sim, so I'm more than happy with DCS.

Now gimme that South Atlantic map. :smoke:

35 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I know it's not perfect, but it is good. And happiness is the art of the possible...

I have this boosterdog fella set on ignore, but unfortunately I still see his lovely words when people quote him .. I can't help but wonder why he is still flying DCS if he dislikes it so much 🙄

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

11 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I have this boosterdog fella set on ignore, but unfortunately I still see his lovely words when people quote him .. I can't help but wonder why he is still flying DCS if he dislikes it so much 🙄

He needs the positive vibes of those of us who really like the sim. He wants to be brought into the light.  😇

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

6 hours ago, Beirut said:

He needs the positive vibes of those of us who really like the sim. He wants to be brought into the light.  😇

Yeah I was quite rude to Rudel_chw so that quite understandable and I regret that. I apologised immediiately but I shouldnt have been such a tool in the first instance. Its his choice. 

I still fly DCS cos I do enjoy many aspects of it. That doesnt mean I am able to ignore some of its less great features that affect that enjoyment. That that over 7 years Ive ploughed £1100 into modules and £4 or 5K into PC and gear to play it is also a factor. In that time ive interoduced 5 or 6 friends to to it. I dont really need bringing into light any more than others need to take their rose tinted sunglasses off. Different strokes. 

Syria gets a lot of praise, some of it I think is deserved, some not. It has glaring issues with draw distances and performance that have never been addressed. But it sells and is often held up to being the new standard. That being the case, why then would anyone else need to worry if their map is sub par performance wise? Why worry if lorrys hang of hills?  Why worry if tarmaced areas drip down cliff edges or map object SAM sites are not level or building and trees do not fully resolve until you are 500M from them? A large proportion of the  vocal minority of players who use forums are clearly not triggered by such things. Thats great. Each to their own. 

Being barracked (however gently) as a naysayer or referenced in the third person like im a not in the room wont disuade me for my opinon that Syria risks setting an unwelcome precedent in standards or that there a some aspect of DCS that aint great and need to be bumped up the the to do list.

I am looking forward to the SA. Just as many couldnt look look past some of the Harriers issues for the longest time, Im was a happy idiot in it. I love Razbam stuff. Flaws and all, their modules have soul. From the sceenies this seems to have transferred into thier maps. But I will wait for the dust to settle as I no longer have a great deal of faith that the quailty control ED sets for its own maps extend to 3rd parties. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

Yeah I was quite rude to Rudel_chw so that quite understandable and I regret that. I apologised immediiately but I shouldnt have been such a tool in the first instance. Its his choice. 

I've always found him to be pretty cool. His insistence on penguins not being included in the sim bothers me greatly, but that is a topic many of us have agreed not to discuss lest the conversation turn fowl.

3 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

Being barracked (however gently) as a naysayer or referenced in the third person like im a not in the room wont disuade me for my opinon that Syria risks setting an unwelcome precedent in standards or that there a some aspect of DCS that aint great and need to be bumped up the the to do list. 

You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else here. For my part, though not my favourite map, I think Syria is pretty good. Not perfect, but certainly enjoyable. I guess it's a question of what we choose to focus on and what we cannot help but focus on.

Likewise, the South Atlantic map is bound to have some pretty poopy textures here and there. Unless it's 200GB and $200, I can't see how it will be avoided, but on the whole, like the Syria map, I think the pros will outweigh the cons and there will be a lot of fun to be had.

That said, I still plan on taking my Ka-50 for a long, long flight when the map come out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I've always found him to be pretty cool. His insistence on penguins not being included in the sim bothers me greatly, but that is a topic many of us have agreed not to discuss lest the conversation turn fowl.

You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else here. For my part, though not my favourite map, I think Syria is pretty good. Not perfect, but certainly enjoyable. I guess it's a question of what we choose to focus on and what we cannot help but focus on.

Likewise, the South Atlantic map is bound to have some pretty poopy textures here and there. Unless it's 200GB and $200, I can't see how it will be avoided, but on the whole, like the Syria map, I think the pros will outweigh the cons and there will be a lot of fun to be had.

That said, I still plan on taking my Ka-50 for a long, long flight when the map come out. 

He is - it was all on me. Cant say I blame him - id have blocked me too. 

In end (to answer the OPs quastion) Ill take the Harrier and a shed load of fuel tanks- best of both worlds (fuel allowing)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jagdgeschwader said:

I'm waiting to fly the Viggen in the middle of winter between the Fjords at about 10M altitude. :pilotfly:

Yep, this part of map remind me Alaska or Norway too :).

• Like 4

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 5/12/2022 at 1:49 PM, Beirut said:

His insistence on penguins not being included in the sim bothers me greatly, but that is a topic many of us have agreed not to discuss lest the conversation turn fowl.

Nicely played! 

🙂

-ch

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 11:02 PM, Gunfreak said:

I'm gonna Norway the hell out of it.

Mossie, F-5 and F-16.

Det kan du banne på! 😂

• Like 1

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

24 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

Det kan du banne på! 😂

And F86, forgot we used those too, some Soviet MiG15 are definatly gonna do bad stuff over "Norwegian" fjords

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

10 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

And F86, forgot we used those too, some Soviet MiG15 are definatly gonna do bad stuff over "Norwegian" fjords

Argentina operated F-86 from the 60s till the 90s too.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

T-45 is not a bad choice, either. Yeah, there is always the freeware MB-339A/PAN

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, rkk01 said:

What will you do….

Bought the map awhile ago, had a few brief “look see” flights, but I’m waiting . . . . 
May be a long nose that’s coming first, but I’m looking forward to ‘Tooming the cr@p out of it.

IMG_0275.jpeg

IMG_0276.jpeg

• Like 2

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.