Can we get some battle damage on the WW2 maps?

Tree_Beard

25 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

Like destroyed towns, shell craters, charred forests, piles of rubble. 

There is a "scenery destruction zone" trigger in the mission editor now, but that works very poorly in my experience. 

I get the logic and will plus 1 to a degree it but wars are dynamic and destuction varies over time dependent upon what each side has the hots for on any partuclar day.  For instance Pointe Du hoc on the 5h June and Pointe Du Hoc 7th June are very different places...... Caen changes significantly over a month period....etc

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

14 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I get the logic and will plus 1 to a degree it but wars are dynamic and destuction varies over time dependent upon what each side has the hots for on any partuclar day.  For instance Pointe Du hoc on the 5h June and Pointe Du Hoc 7th June are very different places...... Caen changes significantly over a month period....etc

I think ideally you'd want a "destruction level" layer to select in the mission editor. Like level 1-5. If its possible to do different seasons, I think it should be fairly straightforward to do layers of battle damage. Another option would be for ED to improve the existing destruction zone trigger to make it look better and function properly without completely tanking performance. 

I think this is probably not as important for the modern era maps, but in a ww2 "total war" environment, especially in 1944-1945 when most of our existing assets were in use, there should be quite a bit of visible destruction.

• Like 2

syria needs the same, so would be beneficial for both in my opinion.  In mean time i use the scene destruction gizmos in editor  tend to not go above 45 percent on the areas i want destroyed

• Like 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

I tried the destruction levels as triggers on the Channel Map and even though the visuals were really fascinating the performance hit to my VR was extreme, the fps dropped to 10fps or less, this was about 6-8 months ago, not sure if there were any improvements done to optimize the destroyed scenery.

• Like 1

The map making tech does seem to be improving though. It is interesting to see how many objects have a damage model on the Syria map. I don't know if they are going to add the same feature to the Normandy map, but you can certainly tell the difference as you drive around. A big thing for me will be damage models for objects (trees/fences) as you drive heavy armored units around.

But I am not expecting to see big changes, not at least until they finish with the core upgrades. We have likely all seen how good the dynamic damage done to buildings/terrain in games like Battle Field and PostScriptum is, but with the memory overhead in something like DCS I think this is out of reach at least for the time being.

• Like 1