F/A-18C Hornet Foundations

Night_Geist

Put together the start of a series I've been wanting to do to hopefully help people learn some stuff that took me a bit of digging or testing to figure out. Hope it's helpful. I plan on finishing out the series. This first video isn't as advanced as the ones to follow but I still felt there was some good info to share on flying with fuel in mind. Future episodes on intercept geometry I'm quite excited to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD5T_V_maq0&t=321s

Feedback appreciated!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, thank you!

Subscribed and very much looking forward to more of your videos, bravo sir.

edit, DCS and 40k content! (Battle Fleet Gothic at least) = me a very happy chap 😁

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 1

Neat video.

Supersonic climb schedule Google Rutowski climb profile 🙂

Max range in Hornet occurs at 4.2alpha (Endurance at 5.6alpha).

For the Min fuel descent work on 5 deg flight path angle. So when destination runway is at -5 on the HUD select Idle and put the vv at -5. You will find AOA will be close to to 4-5 alpha all the way, IAS will end up at around 250Kias.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:52 PM, IvanK said:

Max range in Hornet occurs at 4.2alpha (Endurance at 5.6alpha).

Unfortunately not in DCS. Its not a fixed relation atm, you'll see range at about 3.2 to 4.0 ish, depending on weight. Tnd endurance about 5.6 to 6.5 ish, again depending on weight.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• ED Team
3 hours ago, Swift. said:

Unfortunately not in DCS. Its not a fixed relation atm, you'll see range at about 3.2 to 4.0 ish, depending on weight. Tnd endurance about 5.6 to 6.5 ish, again depending on weight.

We have been checking/testing, and feel while FPAS does need some tuning, it is not as far out as you had suggested. 

• Thanks 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

As far as I can see, the Hornet's FCS frequently adjusts slats and flaps, thus altering the chordline with the obvious consequences on the angle of attack. Therefore, I am not surprised to see a range of AoA values for a given flight regime.

4 hours ago, Cepheus76 said:

As far as I can see, the Hornet's FCS frequently adjusts slats and flaps, thus altering the chordline with the obvious consequences on the angle of attack. Therefore, I am not surprised to see a range of AoA values for a given flight regime.

The flats and slats are not driven randomly, it's a known scheduling that can be accounted for and is accounted for when NATOPS tells you to fly at 4.2 for max range and 5.6 for endurance.

That the flaps/ slats adjustment doesn't occur at random but is following some sort of schedule shouldn't need extra mentioning.

In any case, NATOPS says that the given AoA values are approximately and that the best performance is obtained by flying the correct Mach number for a given configuration and altitude. The AoA range observed by you is less than a degree, so it is for me still a reasonable assumption that the AoA variations are a result of matching AoA to the wing's profile. On the other hand I would find it most peculiar if the whole point of altering the profile would be to maintain a specific AoA over the whole spectrum of conditions, masses, drag, etc. I rather assume that the aim of the exercise is to get the best wing profile for the current configuration and flight conditions and then fly the speed/ AoA required to get the desired performance.

3 hours ago, Cepheus76 said:

That the flaps/ slats adjustment doesn't occur at random but is following some sort of schedule shouldn't need extra mentioning.

In any case, NATOPS says that the given AoA values are approximately and that the best performance is obtained by flying the correct Mach number for a given configuration and altitude. The AoA range observed by you is less than a degree, so it is for me still a reasonable assumption that the AoA variations are a result of matching AoA to the wing's profile. On the other hand I would find it most peculiar if the whole point of altering the profile would be to maintain a specific AoA over the whole spectrum of conditions, masses, drag, etc. I rather assume that the aim of the exercise is to get the best wing profile for the current configuration and flight conditions and then fly the speed/ AoA required to get the desired performance.

Less than a degree perhaps, but 25% aswell...

Having tested this extensively in DCS, I can confidently say that the relation between speed, fuel burn, and AOA is not correct in DCS. How far out it is and what the correct path to fixing it is still TBD. 

So whilst yes, it might be that its more like 3.9-4.5 IRL (which I doubt but anyway), there are no numbers that can be used in DCS to fly range or endurance profiles as a ROT. Because it varies so much.

• Thanks 1

• ED Team
23 hours ago, Swift. said:

Less than a degree perhaps, but 25% aswell...

Having tested this extensively in DCS, I can confidently say that the relation between speed, fuel burn, and AOA is not correct in DCS. How far out it is and what the correct path to fixing it is still TBD. 

So whilst yes, it might be that its more like 3.9-4.5 IRL (which I doubt but anyway), there are no numbers that can be used in DCS to fly range or endurance profiles as a ROT. Because it varies so much.

Please dont derail this thread, if you have evidence PM me. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2