Why don't I get datalink?

Exorcet
Go to solution Solved by Moonshine,

In the attached mission/track I have an AWACS flying around that should be providing DL information to my flight, however my HSD is empty. It's only when I jump from one flight to another that the DL information displays.

F-16C datalink bug.trk F-16C datalink bug.miz

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Bump.

I've played around with the mission a bit more but I cannot find a root cause or remedy. The problem only exists in the mission, suggesting that I should be able to fix it by rebuilding the entire mission (it's actually larger than the file provided, I removed many units to simplfy), but that would be a lot of work. It might also trigger the issue to happen again.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I've had this issue on the BlueFlag Syria server yesterday. I flew with my buddy, both of us flying the Viper, but we couldn't see each other on the DL, despite triple checking every setting. There was no AWACS nor GPS available in the mission, so I thought maybe this causes some problem with the DL, but seeing your report it seems to be a different cause.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Do you happen to know if your mission file was old or frequently updated? I've seen some weird stuff happen files that are older.

I also did some more experimenting and it seems like the units in the mission might be related to the problem? If I deleted every single unit (including statics) then place a fresh F-16 and AWACS, the DL worked. If any units from the original mission remain, it seems DL can't function.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:33 PM, Exorcet said:

Do you happen to know if your mission file was old or frequently updated? I've seen some weird stuff happen files that are older.

I also did some more experimenting and it seems like the units in the mission might be related to the problem? If I deleted every single unit (including statics) then place a fresh F-16 and AWACS, the DL worked. If any units from the original mission remain, it seems DL can't function.

Interesting, unfortunately I have no idea how old the mission file on that server was :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I see what you saw in your track. But then I tried something else: I took control of your track, waited for the end of the autostart procedure, then I accelerated a bit. AWACS contacts appeared right away.

Is this expected?

auostart_then_accel.trk

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 6:50 PM, Flappie said:

Hi. I see what you saw in your track. But then I tried something else: I took control of your track, waited for the end of the autostart procedure, then I accelerated a bit. AWACS contacts appeared right away.

Is this expected?

auostart_then_accel.trk 218.56 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for looking

Side question, do ED team members not generate a notification when posting? I was not notified of this reply, nor of the last reply I got from @NineLine

Anyway, I think once, randomly, I was able to see the DL info after a time. I could not recreate that. I'll watch your track and see what happens.

EDIT

OK so in your track I see the contacts as soon as I leave the hangar. I tested in OB and stable and it's the same. So I went back to the mission and tried manual start, no DL. I tried autostart, no DL.

I guess the effect of the plane swap is still in the track despite the swap not taking place? Very odd.

Edited by Exorcet

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2022 at 3:20 AM, Exorcet said:

Side question, do ED team members not generate a notification when posting? I was not notified of this reply

I don't think there is a special rule, no.

The same thing happened to me today in another thread, and I have no idea why.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 3 months later...
Very, very often these days I end up with no datalink when cold starting and I can't figure out why. All the switches are on, INS is ran to full and I never ever rearm or start rolling until alignment is done.
Has anyone else seen this? Am I missing some detail I need to be aware of?

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

Are you doing a full alignment? 

If so, Are you confirming each line of the INS info (Lat, Long, Alt) in the first 2 mins of the alignment with the Enter key on the ICP?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

8 minutes ago, Deano87 said:

Are you doing a full alignment? 

If so, Are you confirming each line of the INS info (Lat, Long, Alt) in the first 2 mins of the alignment with the Enter key on the ICP?

No, I always do a stored alignment. 

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

• Solution

press List-> Enter -> you will see that GPS is set to "Off" (even though your switch in the back right panel next to your seat is switched on)

then press 1 (or any number besides 0 on the ICP) and it should turn it on. then you will get DL.

at least that did it for me at times

• Like 6

On 12/15/2022 at 2:40 PM, Moonshine said:

press List-> Enter -> you will see that GPS is set to "Off" (even though your switch in the back right panel next to your seat is switched on)

then press 1 (or any number besides 0 on the ICP) and it should turn it on. then you will get DL.

at least that did it for me at times

That's a new one for me.

OP, look on HSD, does it sat XMT off?  That is what it defaults to.  Press the OSB next to it once and it should say XMIT L16.  Or are you not even receiving anything?  That's weird.  MIDS is switch on?

And make sure EPLRS is selected for the AEWACS and the Player's aircraft.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

5 hours ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

OP, look on HSD, does it sat XMT off?  That is what it defaults to.  Press the OSB next to it once and it should say XMIT L16.

The XMT option on the HSD is only relevant for transmitting data across the selected network (e.g. sending a steerpoint with Comm Switch IFF IN Long). It doesn't control anything regarding receiving datalink info.

As far as I've seen, the main issues that crop up regarding non-functional DL info is the MIDS LVT knob not being on, or an incorrect/interrupted alignment.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• 4 weeks later...

So, this happened again yesterday and it took me a while before I remembered @Moonshine's solution but that was it! The "DLNK" GPS TIME was OFF and switching it ON immediately gave me Timber again. So, as this happens regularly to me I suspect I might be doing something in the wrong order or I am omitting some step in my cold starts but I can't figure out what it might be.

This is basically what my cold start looks like:

1. BATTERY ON, then connect ground power and then MAIN PWR ON
  2. INS to STOR HDG then all avionics panel switched switches to ON (MIDS LVT knob to ON)
  3. FCR and RADAR ALT on, relevant cheek stations ON
  4. Lights set, IFF to stand by (expected departure squawk punched in), RWR on, SEARCH on
  5. Altimeter to ELEC, stand-by attitude indicator uncaged
  6. Countermeasures (in STDBY) powered and on. ECM on (if installed)
  7. ...wait for alignment to reach 10 (1.6/10)...
  8. INS to NAV
  9. HMD alignment
  10. Possible rearming and setting up weapons, if time allows

I wrote this from memory so I might have missed something but this is pretty much what it looks like and more often than not this, apparently, result in my GPS TIME being OFF for some reason. Any clues on why that is? Also, is anyone else seeing this regularly?

The non-deterministic nature of this issue (same cold start result in different results; usually I do get DL but very often not) makes me suspect there's some timing aspect at play here. Maybe I do something too fast, or too slow?

Edited by moggel
  • Like 1

to my knowledge this issue only happens if you turn the switches in the back right panel on too quickly before your jet gets proper power. (so wait until all your displays show proper symbology/images etc..), doesnt matter if power by ground or by starting the engine first

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

to my knowledge this issue only happens if you turn the switches in the back right panel on too quickly before your jet gets proper power. (so wait until all your displays show proper /symbologyimages etc..), doesnt matter if power by ground or by starting the engine first

Come to think of it, I often turn on all of the switches to ON as I wait for GND power to get connected. That might be it. Will experiment and see if there's a difference. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, moggel said:

Come to think of it, I often turn on all of the switches to ON as I wait for GND power to get connected. That might be it. Will experiment and see if there's a difference. Thanks again!

You don't need ground power to start-up the F-16.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

5 hours ago, QuiGon said:

You don't need ground power to start-up the F-16.

I don't if it's just me doing some solo/ad-hoc flying but in MP combat ops we're 25-30ppl so there's usually a takeoff slot time to wait for. GND power allows me to power up all systems, including my Braun shaving machine, while I wait. As my group gets close to taxi time we fire up the engines.

Edited by moggel

I'm beginning to think there is a strange bug that occurs when tankers are in a mission that causes the datalink to fail, but I'm still looking into it.

Turning on GPS through ICP doesn't work. I didn't get DL until I deleted all tankers from the mission.

I've experienced something pointing in this direction before:

While it seems the problem in this thread was solved, @moggel or anyone else who had issues, were tankers present in your missions?