Pilot gun aim is way off after cold start. Hot start is fine. Tracks included.

DJ_9mm
Go to solution Solved by opps,

On 10/15/2022 at 3:19 PM, Shaman said:

Here are the current default views for both Pilot and CPG that are for boresighting gun and NVG, if anyone needs them. Version it is tested with is 2.7.18.

Drop SnapViews.lua into your USER*\Saved Games\DCS**\Config\View folder

*Windows User Name

**or OpenBeta

SnapViews.lua 259.23 kB · 3 downloads

The ihads is boresighted then, from the start?

Ihads showed B/S required, ad alignment was very bad. I assume i do something wrong (dropped the lua file in the advised folder)

ingame, how do you activate this snapview?

Edited by Varry007

On 10/27/2022 at 6:22 PM, Varry007 said:

The ihads is boresighted then, from the start?

Ihads showed B/S required, ad alignment was very bad. I assume i do something wrong (dropped the lua file in the advised folder)

ingame, how do you activate this snapview?

Hi, you still need to perform boresighting task. What I have done is I changing default view so it is now bore-sight friendly now; so you will perform it within second - and both gun and night vision overlay will be aligned correctly after you have performed this task. Whenever you get back to pit, or load in at start, or when center view NUM5 and center zoom, NUM ENTER (pause TrackIR if you use it) you should be aligned, so just perform boresight. Your default view is now like this with the LUA settings of mine:

Screen_221101_224003.jpg

Edited by Shaman
  • Like 1

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

On 11/1/2022 at 10:19 PM, Shaman said:

Hi, you still need to perform boresighting task. What I have done is I changing default view so it is now bore-sight friendly now; so you will perform it within second - and both gun and night vision overlay will be aligned correctly after you have performed this task. Whenever you get back to pit, or load in at start, or when center view NUM5 and center zoom, NUM ENTER (pause TrackIR if you use it) you should be aligned, so just perform boresight. Your default view is now like this with the LUA settings of mine:

Screen_221101_224003.jpg

thank you for the added details; but this doesn't work in VR (can't pause it like trackIR).

On 11/3/2022 at 4:07 PM, Varry007 said:

thank you for the added details; but this doesn't work in VR (can't pause it like trackIR).

What doesn't work? You can still boresight reasonably well in VR - it's just a bit trickier to do because, like you said, you can't pause it, and if you focus on the rings you'll see two crosses - but that's just how it is with stereoscopic vision in reality too. Check your boresight with how the PNVS image aligns. It might take a few tries, but if well boresighted and with autoranging on the gun is quite precise. 

• Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

15 hours ago, Xupicor said:

What doesn't work? You can still boresight reasonably well in VR - it's just a bit trickier to do because, like you said, you can't pause it, and if you focus on the rings you'll see two crosses - but that's just how it is with stereoscopic vision in reality too. Check your boresight with how the PNVS image aligns. It might take a few tries, but if well boresighted and with autoranging on the gun is quite precise. 

I know about the stereospic vision; i used to use rendering of ihads on both eyes; but for realisms sake, i only render it on the right eye; still even if i align everything correctly; the result is George's direction is always off to the right compare to where i ordered him to look.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 2:25 PM, Varry007 said:

but for realisms sake, i only render it on the right eye; still even if i align everything correctly; the result is George's direction is always off to the right compare to where i ordered him to look.

How do you know you aligned it correctly? Did you check it with PNVS imagery on?

If I'm not mistaken it still might be the case that you have to boresight as if it's rendered in stereo even if you have it in mono. But, regardless if I'm right or not - again - check it with PNVS every time.

Edited by Xupicor
  • Windows 11 Pro, RTX4090 (24GB), 5950X @ 4.3GHz, 64GB RAM @ 3000MHz, M.2 SSD 8TB, Pimax Crystal
  • Modules and maps: All of 'em. (It's a problem...)

correct as is?

I dont think so.

Also i already did the boresight procedure on start up.

In fact boresighting and using track-ir seems pretty broken to me. trying to fix it inflight also does not work.

not that it matters much, george is pretty useless, i take his seat and do his job as well or things go sour. an option to exchange george for some extra fuel would be nice, or just leave him at the base would be nice. that way i can have more hellfires and a better flying helo as well.

i dont know why the dude is in my helicopter...

Edited by DoctorVixen

• ED Team

@DoctorVixen, if you were expecting the ACQ LOS reticle (broken crosshairs) to move when George slews the TADS, you need to set the ACQ source to TADS. If you leave it in Fixed (FXD), it will never leave the Head Tracker diamond. This is correct as is.

If that is not what you were trying to show, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

17 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

@DoctorVixen, if you were expecting the ACQ LOS reticle (broken crosshairs) to move when George slews the TADS, you need to set the ACQ source to TADS. If you leave it in Fixed (FXD), it will never leave the Head Tracker diamond. This is correct as is.

If that is not what you were trying to show, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

nope not trying to show that.

i am expecting george to look at where i tell him if i tell him to slave to my view, if u notice in the start i have the hellfire, but when i slave george is not looking at the right spot.

I have already boresighted.

because the last two missions george also fukked up by only calling engaging engaging and then doing nothing i start getting a little frustrated and i end up selecting the gun and rockets.

anyway. the post is about georges aim being off on a cold start, i did the boresight procedure on start up.

I have done this multiple times and georges aim will be off, you can't do the boresighting procedure properly if u use track ir. 

how about the ed test department get a track-ir set and test it?

cold start, do the boresighting procedure using track ir, then try have george looking at where the pilot is looking using slave.

a video of this would be very nice, so other people using track ir have a fix when a cold start is needed.

Edited by DoctorVixen

The community is here to help anyone trying to learn how to fly the Apache, and operate its many systems. 

Instead of assuming something is "broken" and then posting videos of you uninstalling the module, or crashing into the ground in frustration, you might try doing some additional research to answer your questions, or at least ask them in a constructive manner.  I think you will receive a better response from those that are willing to help you.

Read the manual and watch Wags' videos on his YouTube channel.

Your first boresight you performed in the video was fine, you just aren't using the systems correctly to have George find and engage targets for you.  Many of us use TrackIR with this module, and it works great.

• Like 1

I'll admit i have been a little frustrated with this module, and I havent fully read the entire manual yet. You are right ill adjust my posts, and try not to post out of frustration. 

The behaviour i get when slaving george seems to be different from when doing a cold start as when doing a hot start (and performing the boresight procedure is not needed).

I think the square comes perfectly or almost perfectly over the crosshair when not having to boresight and i slave george to my view, but when i do boresight (eg on a cold start) it seems to be pretty far off?

I

7 minutes ago, DoctorVixen said:

I think the square comes perfectly or almost perfectly over the crosshair when not having to boresight and i slave george to my view, but when i do boresight (eg on a cold start) it seems to be pretty far off?

Yes, this sounds like a misunderstanding of how it is supposed to work.

Read up on Acquisition Source, specifically ACQ TADS, and on the missile constraints symbology.  You seem to be confusing the two. 

On a hot start, the ACQ is set to TADS for you already.

• ED Team
3 hours ago, DoctorVixen said:

how about the ed test department get a track-ir set and test it?

2 hours ago, DoctorVixen said:

I think the square comes perfectly or almost perfectly over the crosshair when not having to boresight and i slave george to my view

I almost exclusively fly with TrackIR, and I've had zero problems since release.

As @Floyd1212 mentioned, there is a misunderstanding of how these systems work, and what these symbology elements represent. The rocket steering cursor ("I-beam") and the missile constraints box are not the same as similar symbology elements in HUDs in fixed wing aircraft. They do not represent virtual locations out the window, but rather relative offsets from datum lines. In addition, these symbology elements and their behavior are driven by the selected sight, the selected ACQ source, and the weapon modes.

I understand it may be challenging, but the AH-64D is a very complex aircraft, with many different systems and methodologies compared to what most people are accustomed to with other modules.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

2 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

Yes, this sounds like a misunderstanding of how it is supposed to work.

Read up on Acquisition Source, specifically ACQ TADS, and on the missile constraints symbology.  You seem to be confusing the two. 

On a hot start, the ACQ is set to TADS for you already.

It's quite complex indeed. Still struggling to fully understand it.

I have been looking in the manual I thought I was setting acq to tads in the tads, but it is done in the weapons page, i don't fully grasp the difference between them yet, seems to work as intended as said, boresighting works fine with track ir as well no problems. do need to read some more manual to fully understand what is the difference between acq and the selection one can do when pressing tads in the camera view.

apologies for calling it a bug earlier. i've been avoiding the manual too much, i was like pfff manual, i fly the ka-50 and some jets who needs a manual....i got this 🚁.

I do the same with stuff from IKEA, first put it together if it fails blame IKEA, then read the manual and do it properly 😎 sorry guys...

it was the ACQ