Really struggling with Mission 9

First of all I must say that I really love this campaign. This is exactly what I like to do with the A-10, it comes with a high amount of realism. Unfortuneately the realism comes at a high price, difficulty. Although the difficulty certainly makes me a better (virtual) I tried this mission now for... I don't know many times.

First Task

I set up an IP waypoint and a TGT waypoint for the BRD an try to get that little bugger with an IR Maverick. But this really a pain in the <beep> because this damn Mav locks everything up, except for the BRD and because I'm not able to kill this bastard the attack window closes and people are going to die, which is not acceptable.

Second/third Task

The one case I made it to the second task I took out both T-72 with GBU-12. But got shot down by a ZSU-23 while helping my troops on the ground.

On the next try I'm trying to take out the BRDM with a GBU-12, T-72s with IR MAVs and the ZSU-23 with the second GBU-12. Maybe I'm using the MK-82s for ground support.

If anyone has more tipps I would really appreciate it. It starts getting frustrated...

4 minutes ago, Timster76 said:

First of all I must say that I really love this campaign. This is exactly what I like to do with the A-10, it comes with a high amount of realism. Unfortuneately the realism comes at a high price, difficulty. Although the difficulty certainly makes me a better (virtual) I tried this mission now for... I don't know many times.

First Task

I set up an IP waypoint and a TGT waypoint for the BRD an try to get that little bugger with an IR Maverick. But this really a pain in the <beep> because this damn Mav locks everything up, except for the BRD and because I'm not able to kill this bastard the attack window closes and people are going to die, which is not acceptable.

Second/third Task

The one case I made it to the second task I took out both T-72 with GBU-12. But got shot down by a ZSU-23 while helping my troops on the ground.

On the next try I'm trying to take out the BRDM with a GBU-12, T-72s with IR MAVs and the ZSU-23 with the second GBU-12. Maybe I'm using the MK-82s for ground support.

If anyone has more tipps I would really appreciate it. It starts getting frustrated...

The way I've always played this one...

First task (command APC) - use a GBU-12, as long as you're not too slow (if you are the APC starts running), it will stop eventually in a new location and there will still be time to kill it after that.

Second task (2 T-72s in the city) - use Mavs or GBU-12, stay high - there is no need to go low and end up in AAA or MANPAD range.

Third task - repeated gun runs on enemy troop positions.

You mentioned the AAA problem, this shouldn't be a factor unless you're way out of position, the AAA is located at Jiroft airport, which is still in enemy hands.  Don't fly west of the city and you'll stay out it's way.  Any attacks in the city are best made north-south, coming off the target to the east

Hope that helps!

vor 12 Minuten schrieb ChillNG:

The way I've always played this one...

First task (command APC) - use a GBU-12, as long as you're not too slow (if you are the APC starts running), it will stop eventually in a new location and there will still be time to kill it after that.

Second task (2 T-72s in the city) - use Mavs or GBU-12, stay high - there is no need to go low and end up in AAA or MANPAD range.

Third task - repeated gun runs on enemy troop positions.

You mentioned the AAA problem, this shouldn't be a factor unless you're way out of position, the AAA is located at Jiroft airport, which is still in enemy hands.  Don't fly west of the city and you'll stay out it's way.  Any attacks in the city are best made north-south, coming off the target to the east

Hope that helps!

I will try it that way. But there was a ZSU where the the Humvees got into an ambush (got prove😉). Shouldn’t it to be so?

46 minutes ago, Timster76 said:

I will try it that way. But there was a ZSU where the the Humvees got into an ambush (got prove😉). Shouldn’t it to be so?

Ah yes you're right, I checked in the editor but missed that one!  In that case advise keeping your altitude as high as you can and standoff with the gun as much as possible.