Three era Vietnam map

upyr1

I know a lot of DCS players want a Vietnam map, when we finally get one I would like to have at least 3 eras.

1. WWII / 1950s 
  2. 1960-1980. The obvious setting for most scenarios. 
  3. Modern- what if. We have the Chinese asset pack so might as well have a China vs Vietnam battle of the flankers 
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2022 at 8:15 AM, upyr1 said:

I know a lot of DCS players want a Vietnam map, when we finally get one I would like to have at least 3 eras.

1. WWII / 1950s 
  2. 1960-1980. The obvious setting for most scenarios. 
  3. Modern- what if. We have the Chinese asset pack so might as well have a China vs Vietnam battle of the flankers 

I think concentrate mainly on a Vietnam map of around 1968 or 1972.  I am not at all against your idea, though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

I think concentrate mainly on a Vietnam map of around 1968 or 1972.  I am not at all against your idea, though.

the 1960-1980 map would have to be first, I'm not sure how much Vietnam would have actually changed in that 20 years. We would need more Vietnam era aicraft though

The 1940s-1950s map would be great for the Corsair as the French used them in their Vietnam war. Moern would be a flanker v flanker fight

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think building a 1960-1980 map isn't possible with a high amount of fidelity. One could probably get away with a mid 50s to mid 60s map and another mid 60s to mid 70s map. The country would have gone through too many changes (e.g. air-defence networks, telltale SAM-sites with their respective shapes) to have a "one size fits all" solution. Which is too bad, because from a historical view, the area has seen almost constant conflict for 45 years. Talk about a relevant theatre to be covered by a map or two...

Limiting the timeframe to a few specific years would make sense in one way, but it would also unnecessarily constrain the map, when a lot of action has happened there before and after. It's probably easier to look over that and just take the non-contemorary map for some thing better than no map at all.

Then there's the still unresolved question of which area to cover. I'm still for a North/ South split, but even those maps would be hardware hogs, given the amount of trees. Maybe some other technology rather than individual trees needs to used there.

• Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I think building a 1960-1980 map isn't possible with a high amount of fidelity.

I am not sure how much would have changed for the period other than political borders. So I am thinking at least one map in that era 

One could probably get away with a mid 50s to mid 60s map and another mid 60s to mid 70s map. The country would have gone through too many changes (e.g. air-defence networks, telltale SAM-sites with their respective shapes) to have a "one size fits all" solution.

Going with a mid 50s to mid 60s map would rob the Corvair of an extra map..as for changes Mission builders will place their own sams 

Which is too bad, because from a historical view, the area has seen almost constant conflict for 45 years. Talk about a relevant theatre to be covered by a map or two...

Limiting the timeframe to a few specific years would make sense in one way, but it would also unnecessarily constrain the map, when a lot of action has happened there before and after. It's probably easier to look over that and just take the non-contemorary map for some thing better than no map at all.

Then there's the still unresolved question of which area to cover. I'm still for a North/ South split, but even those maps would be hardware hogs, given the amount of trees. Maybe some other technology rather than individual trees needs to used there.

It will kill cpus

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the Nevada map covers an area of about 350nm x 350nm (650km x 650km), but not all of that is full detail and trees are sparse.  However, there's a lot of detail in Las Vegas.

A Vietnam map (I think) would need to cover about 660nm x 530nm, (1222km x 981km) and that excludes most of South Vietnam and Cambodia.  But like Nevada, not all of that should be full detail.  Only Hanoi would be the large, high detail city, but as it was in about 1972, not 2022.  This would include most of Hainan Island, but not being a subject of the map, would only be satellite imagery over moderately detailed terrain...just so it would be seen from carriers at Yankee Station.

High detail of a 200nm x 150nm area around Hanoi.  (370km x 278km)

About two high detailed 150nm x 150nm areas along the coast to the southeast, which should cover Da Nang and Chu Lai airbases.  (278km x 278km)

Much of the trees are solid tree canopy, 75-150 feet above the ground, I think.  Maybe there's a way to model that without drawing thousands of individual trees and their trunks.  In low-detail areas, it could be just flat satellite imagery over medium detail terrain, I guess.  Vast areas you would normally fly over at high altitude.  You would only be expected to fly low-level, jet, prop or helicopter over the high-detail areas.

50nm (93km) radius detailed area around Dien Bien Phu in the northwest...maybe?  Not sure it's worth it, though.

30nm (55km) radius detail areas around each of the Thai airbases of: Udorn, Nakhon Phanom, Ubon, Korat and Takhli.  The flight from Takhli AB to Thud Ridge (Hanoi) is about 500nm (925km) each way!  ...and about 470nm from Korat AB.  Those were the F-105 bases (and later F-4E bases, I believe).  That should give plenty of room to tank-up with KC-135A's along the way.  Could you fly F-16C's on such missions?  Of course! ...and F-18C's and anything else that can make it...I wouldn't try it with the I-16, though.  But carrier-based aircraft from Yankee Station only had to go about 260nm.

I'd say only satellite photo details of Bangkok, if it's on the map at all.

I think this might just work, without being bigger than Syria or South Atlantic on the hard drive.

This image would be the approximate size of the map, however, only areas outlined by blue boxes and circles would be the high-detail areas.  And this is just my quick estimate of it.  Maybe some of the high-detail areas could be even smaller.

North Vietnam Map - high detail areas.png

• Like 1