AMD DCS VR opinions

I've had an excellent experience with the 6800xt and a G2 . Be sure to set your minimum clock speed to 100-200 less than the maximum clock to prevent micro-stutters .

And the  AMD overclocking settings are not to  be feared . I have them all set to near-max and still don't see greater than 70° in stress tests at an ambient of 70 F . I'm also running a slight undervolt and boosted fan curve . Of course this is dependent on how effective your card and case cooling is ...

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

i just recently jumped in and have a XFX 6900xt black limited.  HP Reverb G2gen2.  

Honestly- i didn't do a damn thing in terms of fiddling around.. i installed WMR and Steam VR and just launch DCS into VR.  In single player it plays great.  I'm working through VR nausea before i try multiplayer as i need to pause quite a bit to take a break.

6900xt is loud.  I undervolted and created a custom fan curve to keep card temps below 75. - oh i also set radeon chill to cap my fps at 45 ... i had some stutters that i didnt like.

Other than that it has actually been easier than i thought.  Once i get my VR legs better maybe I'll start messing with OpenXR or other tweaks but as it stands I just don't see a need.  Working fine for me.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

4 hours ago, SkipCarey said:

Ive decided to jump to AMD (6900xt) and would like opinions/experiences from the DCS/VR community, your input is appreciated............

Only downside may be that SteamVR motion smoothing might not work correctly.  I have it turned off.  But the card is strong enough that you don't really need it.  I actually like it without ghosting on edge of cockpit frames caused by motion smoothing with Nvidia card.

• Like 1

Actually motion smoothing works very well for me . It is motion reprojection that i find problematic .

I run the G2 at 60 hz , which allows native hz everywhere except on airfields and the supercarrier , when i seamlessly transition to 30 smoothed .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I tried 60Hz with my G2 just didnt seem right with the G2 but mine runs fine @90Hz and motion smoothing has been off awhile, the new card comes tommorrow Im running 2/2080s in sli and one card(2080) gets close to 88c at full load ,so I dont expect a tremendous bump up but everything Ive seen tells me the 6900xt runs right alongside a 3080ti , Did you guys see any improvement from the New drivers? supposedly they make big improvements for Dx11 ,which DCS is Dx11,I also run AMDs FSR hack in DCS which really helped in the G2.