Target Save

Caldera

Hey All,

I have been saving targets, so that I can maneuver to a better firing position and then make it is easier to re-acquire the target. 

What I have noticed is that after saving and then re-slaving to the same target location, even if I don't move at all,  then the TADS is not actually returning to the same spot.  I have been very careful to zooming in fully and making sure I am exactly on the target spot that I want to save.  The target has not moved.   I am pretty sure that I have bore sighted the CPG properly prior to taking off.

The TADS does not save the target spot and / or does not return to it exactly.  Sometimes it is off by quite a bit of distance.

This normal? 

If so, is it because the Apache uses 4 digit MGRS resolution vs the 5 digit resolution of like the A-10C?

Thanks in advance,

Caldera

• Like 1

Is this in SP switching seats, or in MP?

I have seen this in MP where my CPG will store a target, then when we go back to it the dotted cross hairs of the current acquisition source are not coincident with the LOS solid cross hairs.  I chalked it up to MP desync issues.

You have been saving the targets? Have you set to "ATK" mode when you stored the target and then slaving to the target marked e.g. T01 or T02 etc? Just curious

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Floyd,

I would only slave from the CPG seat.  But, I may take the PLT seat to move then jump back to the CPG seat.

Fakum,

Yes, the target you just saved automatically becomes the ACQ Source.  But I can select other targets from the COORD screen, with the same result.

No much time, still working on it...

Caldera

ok, was just checking to make sure u were slaving appropriately,,, good luck!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

OK...

So I figured out what I was doing wrong. 

I found that I had to lase first and then store the target.  Knowledge from the A-10C was goofing me up.  There is also a maximum range of a target that can be stored, I am guessing due to the maximum range of the laser.

The stored target location always uses the last lased location?

Caldera

• ED Team

Sounds like you are leaving a stale laser range value in system. If you move the TADS, you need to re-lase the different location, otherwise it will use the last laser range value.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Caldera:

OK...

So I figured out what I was doing wrong. 

I found that I had to lase first and then store the target.  Knowledge from the A-10C was goofing me up.  There is also a maximum range of a target that can be stored, I am guessing due to the maximum range of the laser.

The stored target location always uses the last lased location?

Caldera

how should a system know where to store a point!? you need the position of the entity from which you calculate direction and range (in this case position of your AH64 hopefully with a good aligned INU). then the direction (LoS via TADS). finally the range (laser).

AFAIK, only other way is, if you see a target which you cant lase, try to find it in the TSD (maybe SAT map underlay) and add a point via cursor.

K

Edited by Kharrn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All,

I still notice that if I lase while storing then slave to that target the actual point of the slave is not the actual point of the mark. 

Is it because the values are stored in the computer as 4 digit MGRS as opposed to 5 digit MGRS?

Doing the same thing in the A-10C, both the marked and slaved position is exactly the same.

Caldera

• ED Team

I've seen this brought up before, and I think people have a false impression from DCS that all sensors like TGP's or electro-optical systems should have centimeter-level precision when slaving to a set of coordinates. And it's not due to 4 versus 5 digit coordinates, which is only a difference of 10 meters versus 1 meter; since such distances would be negligible when viewing a location from miles away.

Even if you removed any errors in the target location storing process, a variety of factors can influence how accurately an aircraft can actually slave a sensor back to a set of coordinates. Depending on the aircraft and its individual method for determining the azimuth and elevation commands to slave to a location, the circular error of probability of the nav system, the altimeter accuracy, the heading accuracy and magnetic variation corrections embedded in the system, or even how accurately the sensor is physically mounted and calibrated to the aircraft can affect whether the target is dead center or not.

• Like 3

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I guess what I am reading is that the A-10C is too good?

It's not that the A-10C is too good, so much as that DCS as a simulation program can only replicate so much from the real world. It's the same with any flight simulation software, whether it be individual gaming or professional military simulators. There are so many variables in the real-world that affect how aircraft, sensors and even people behave or perceive things, that you can only replicate a fraction of it in computer code.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DCS Rotor-Head