Apache laser range 9999 meter

Hobel
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

Is the lase range of the real Apache also limited to exactly 9999 meters or is that only the maximum display?

in DCS this at least always stops at 9999m

so you can't laser any further or even get exact information beyond that

On the other hand, all other aircraft  in DCS can lase even the KA50/Gazelle ~15km

why is  the Apache the exception here?

• ED Team
  • Solution

That is the maximum range it will display and use for storing targets or other calculations. Light obviously goes on for infinity, but the avionics will only process returns below 10,000 meters, even if the DCS laser energy goes out to 15 km.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team

Yes, the actual designation should be detectable beyond 10km by any DCS weapon or LST/LSS sensor capable of tracking it.

If it isn't, then it might be worthy of a bug report with the appropriate track file.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Blackshark den guys also tested Apache lazing and hellfire is unable to see the designator if the origin is over 9999 from end point. It certainly seems like a bug since other aircraft don’t have this issue. I’m not home currently. If no one posts a report this weekend I’ll do it 

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

9999 m was same "limit" in some tank LRFs in 80s. the range display did not have the 5th digit. not that it was unable to get a range but more not able to display the range above 9999 m. it would have been impossible to hit anything with a SABOT or HEAT round at that range. HE could be used for indirect fire maybe.

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/16/2023 at 12:08 AM, RazerVon said:

How do we know the Apache's laser designator can return beyond 8km?

You lase something at 8.5km and it will read 8500m. I don't know what you mean. I've done that plenty of times before. In fact you can stretch the laser guided hellfires out to 9km, which is helpful for some sam systems.

Also last time I checked, the laser was still bugged in that

• Lasing between 0-9999m was working as expected
  • Lasing between 10 000 and 15 000m would display 9999 as expected
  • Lasing between 10 000 and 15 000m would allow placing down stored target points at the actual distance (rather than 9999m), the TSD will also display the laser line to be longer than 10km and show the laser spot at the actual location.
  • Lasing the sky or above 15 000m would not update the range whatsoever (rather than display 9999m), it will also not update the range source. So when the previous range was N23.6 km, and you lase the sky, it stays on navigation range, when it should switch to laser range and display 9999m and act like 9999m was the range.

The correct behavior is that anything above 10km or when there is no return, such as when lasing the sky, the aircraft should display and behave as though the laser has hit a target at 9999m. That is it should put a target down at 10km when hitting the store button for example. And the actual laser spot might be detectable by other aircraft or weapon systems.