Adding the 'Declare' function to additional aircraft

StarLiner

Did you know that many DCS Aircraft have a Declare command they can access through the AWACS? Well, actually it's just the Hornet, Viper, and FC3 aircraft. You lock something with your radar and AWACS will declare friendly or hostile. Very cool, but wasted on aircraft with datalink and IFF.

No third party aircraft has this feature, not even the F14.  So I was curious if the Declare function could be modded into to other aircraft for fun and immersion

I looked through the comm lua for a few modules with the feature, and found a line that said Radar = true. For the F14 and F5 it said Radar = False. So, I changed the line to true on both planes, loaded the mission editor, and it almost worked! Declare appeared as an option within the comms menu where it hadn't before, but when you lock a plane and try to use it, no audio plays and no interaction with the AWACS occurs. Other commands like bogey dope work just fine.

Any idea what's happening here? I'm guessing that fundamentally the radars on other aircraft don't work like FC3 and 18/16 radars, so they can't be made to work. But if anybody has ideas, I'd love to hear it.

• Like 2

I did a little more digging to see if anybody else had tried something like this, and @mcfleckran into the same issue trying to do the same thing to the hornet before it was officially added:

I wonder if changing whatever they did to the Hornet to apply to other aircraft is within the scope of modding.

• Like 1