J-10 vs J-11 in BFM performance

Might not be the right place but I hope Deka devs might give us some insights into the pros and cons of the J-10 vs the Flanker family IRL

Who has better sustained turn performance
What game plans do J-10 and J-11 pilots prefer, angles or energy etc

interesting things about the J-10s performance up close
All other info is welcome too if you have excerpts from documentaries etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suspect you'd be disappointed if you learned how little mock dogfighting modern fighter pilots do. It's also not a very practical thing to do in real life anyways. It was a bad idea in WW1 and WW2 and hasn't gotten any better with age. While it certainly happened in real life on many occasions, that doesn't mean it was smart. It is fun to do in video games though.

In any case, I'm sure basic performance charts like max sustained turn rate exist. I think and hope our flight models adhere to them closely. That likely isn't the kind of thing they can just post on a forum due to copyright, though.

• Thanks 1

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 2:40 AM, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

Might not be the right place but I hope Deka devs might give us some insights into the pros and cons of the J-10 vs the Flanker family IRL

What do you mean by BFM?

I heard some Pakistan pilots talked about the performance of J-10 after the joint drill game.

It appears that J-10 has better instantaneous turn performance than JF-17, but lower sustained performance.

Radar wise, J-10A and J-11B have the same X-band doppler pulse radar.  J-10C and J-11D has the same ASEA radar.

Edited by PLAAF

qLjvyQ3.png

My Adorable Communist Errand Girls  🙂

Led by me, the Communist Errand Panda 🥰

• 2 weeks later...
2022/5/27 AM3点50分,PLAAF说:

What do you mean by BFM?

I heard some Pakistan pilots talked about the performance of J-10 after the joint drill game.

It appears that J-10 has better instantaneous turn performance than JF-17, but low sustained performance.

Radar wise, J-10A and J-11B have the same X-band doppler pulse radar.  J-10C and J-11D has the same ASEA radar.

I don't know that their radars are same. I thought at least a larger antenna should be put into a Flanker's nose before.

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

15 minutes ago, Torbernite said:

I don't know that their radars are same. I thought at least a larger antenna should be put into a Flanker's nose before.

Correction, similar radar.

qLjvyQ3.png

On 5/26/2022 at 3:50 PM, PLAAF said:

What do you mean by BFM?

It appears that J-10 has better instantaneous turn performance than JF-17, but low sustained performance.

Dogfighting you know
Who turns tighter who has better sustained turn etc

On 6/8/2022 at 8:09 AM, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

Dogfighting you know
Who turns tighter who has better sustained turn etc

Not sure.

which has the better sustained turn rate? Su-27 or JF-17? JF-17 has better sustained turn rate than J-10. J-10 has better instantaneous turning rate than JF-17.  

qLjvyQ3.png

• 1 month later...

According to Lei Qiang, F-16's horizontal turning capability doesn't measure up to J-10. J-10's vertical turning capability is even with F-16. Su-27's vertical maneuver capability is stronger than J-10 because it has higher T/W ratio. Horizontal turning is even. But rolling rate J-10 is much better. At Mach 1.2, Su-27 has roll rate of 20-30 degrees/sec,(this has to be a mistake) while J-10 has more than 200 degrees/sec. 

I’m assuming he’s talking about ITR to make the statement compatible with the Pakistani evaluation. Note this is a J-10a.

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/chengdu-j-10-vigorous-dragon-fighter.506/page-4

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 5:40 PM, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

Very good.

The kind of stuf i've always appreciated the most.

(I've created similar threads also, regarding MiG-29 vs Su-27 in pure airframe BFM capabilities.)

So, it's a pertinent one, and I hope more people would share their insight here.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

• 1 year later...

Interesting, the kind of info I appreciate.

Judging by the numbers, i suppose the diagram shows the Sustained Turn Rate in DPS for the Mach number.

Also the J-11 would be the Su-30 in this case ?

• Like 1

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

15 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

Interesting, the kind of info I appreciate.

Judging by the numbers, i suppose the diagram shows the Sustained Turn Rate in DPS for the Mach number.

Also the J-11 would be the Su-30 in this case ?

Yea, I kinda flubed not mentioning it was the Su-30, but I assume they should be similar. Also Antidotally on the Chinese internet the J-10a is supposed to be the best dogfighter. No clue if it’s true though.