Trimming the Ka-50

Acedy

To be honest I do almost exactly what you are doing at the moment. I generally only use trimming to maintain hover, to keep the craft at a certain speed, sometimes when strafing. I'm not sure why anyone would use it much in combat. In combat I use 'turn to target" a great deal.. I trim before that to get a reasonably stable hover.. I trim afterwards to maintain a steady speed back to base. I don't fully understand trimming when using the Autopilot between waypoints... I use flight director a great deal.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep running into a problem though. I had trim down pretty good for hovering. I would slowdown trim it and hit hover. And engage and usually its stays steady and i use move with target option which is great. Now for some reason after a while when i go to hover and trim and click the hover on all of a sudden it just wants to do a slow spin usually to the left and now matter how much i trim and reset the trim and disengage hover and level out and trim the hit hover again it still spins and stops following locked moving targets. It works flawless the first 2 times i use it during a mission then its like it just stops working.

Dell XPS 630i w/ Dell nForce 650i Sli ,Intel Q9650 @3.0 ,6.0 GB Ram @800Mhz, 2xGeforce 9800 GT 512 MB ,Saitek X52, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals ,Dell 24" 1080P HD monitor, Klipsch THX Pro Media 2.1 ,TrackIR 4, Logitech MX518

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

how does Auto Hover work?

So I fly into the area where I am gonna set up shop, scan for the targets ahead of me so I can engage them, then throw on Auto Hover and it doesnt seem to do anything. If I do somehow get it to engage it usually will "kinda" hover but also keeps turning me to the left so I sit there and hover and do circles...not much use when I want to sit in one spot while I scan for the enemy...

How do you properly use Auto Hover to have it set you in one spot.

P.S. I have seen it be done in many of the DCS Black Shark videos...

ugh back to trimming eh? after the tutorials and reading a ton of posts about it. I cannot get it...

I will put my aircraft into a forward motion and hit T to trim it to fly that pitch and all it does is slowly start to nose dive... It makes no sense.

If u hit 't' and keep forward pressure on ur cyclic you will dedinately begin a forward nose dive.

Make sure when you hit 't' you immediately return the cyclic to neutral.

With the correct autopilot systems engaged the aircraft will hold the trimmed attitude. (it will continue a turn if you trim it as such.)

However, the majority of users are correct, if your not holding the trim switch during maneuvering you are fighting the autopilot

That's why I have the trim swich set to my trigger!!

Additionally, if you trim before the desired attitude is stable; say if you hit trim while the nose is still moving forward, then your trimmed attitude will be off.

Make sure you are in a stable attitude when trimming:

Hold trim, maneuver and set new attitude (stable), release trim switch and immediately center cyclic

Autohover

I have the Auto-Hover mapped to the stick. I get to a position, slow to between 15-16 km/h and then engage it. After I'm relatively stable (A-H is not perfect) I just hit the 'trim' [T] one time and it seems to do the trick.

Another really good way I found was to go into Auto-Hover and then immediately switch over to the 'Turn-on-Target' mode on the Helmet mounted site.

- - - - - - - - TO FLY IS HEAVEN. TO HOVER IS DIVINE - - - - - -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alright so you pitch it forward to where you want it. HOLD down "T" then release the cyclic, and release "T" after that.... or

Pitch it forward to where you want it. HOLD down "T" then release "T", and then release the cyclic

sounds like he did it two diff ways based on what he was saying. Also how do you "neurtralize" the trim?

oh duh, ugh I keep getting the two messed up, lol well I suppose I'll keep practicing but it keeps nose diving me when I pitch nose up, hit "T" then release my stick.

If you approach at a slow speed, Auto-Hover should get you close to a full stop and hover. Make sure you've reset the trim before this though. Some folks do all sorts of trim settings while enroute to the zone. Once in A-H you shouldn't have to touch the stick. I hit the trim one time to fine tune it ... no cyclic or collective inputs while I'm doing this. If you come in too hot the A-H is going to take a while to settle out.

Edited by LIONPRIDE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Alright so you pitch it forward to where you want it. HOLD down "T" then release the cyclic, and release "T" after that.... or

Pitch it forward to where you want it. HOLD down "T" then release "T", and then release the cyclic

sounds like he did it two diff ways based on what he was saying. Also how do you "neurtralize" the trim?

can you confirm the proper sequence to set the trim, and how to neturalize it?

This is what happens when you get a bunch of fighter-jocks wanting to fly a helicopter ... a video ... *sigh* ... :megalol:

well done BTW ... perhaps you could cover each chapter of the 300+ page manual ? :smilewink:

... looking at this post it might seem I'm being an A-hole ... was not my intention. Nuthin' but LOVE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

can you confirm the proper sequence to set the trim, and how to neturalize it?

1. Hold Trim Button

2. Move Cyclic to the desired attitude and stabilize

3. Release Trim Button

3a. IMMEDIATELY release pressure on the stick (Neutralize the Cyclic)

Or....

1. Move Cyclic to the desired attitude and stabilize (You will find this difficult, because you will be fighting the AP)

2. Press and Release Trim button quickly

2a. IMMEDIATELY release pressure on the stick (Neutralize the Cyclic)

• Like 1

1. Hold Trim Button

2. Move Cyclic to the desired attitude and stabilize

3. Release Trim Button

3a. IMMEDIATELY release pressure on the stick (Neutralize the Cyclic)

Thats the way to do it (although point 3a still give me the creeps and is unnatural).

Personnaly, I don't use trim a lot anymore, it's not really needed. I mostly fly the copter by hand and only trim it in it's current position if i need to do something in the cockpit... works out fine.

I even find myself turning off the AP channels for better respons.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I even find myself turning off the AP channels for better respons.

You're doing it wrong.

PS: Ok. Hands up, I'm sure a bunch of you expect that response! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You're doing it wrong.

PS: Ok. Hands up, I'm sure a bunch of you expect that response! :D

LOL, i know that i'm doing it wrong but releasing the stick to center itself is also wrong because a real Ka-50 pilot only releases his stick but does not center it. And that is exactly what you do if you don't have an FF-stick. Honestly, i only trim when i need to let go of the stick to free up my hands, works fine for me. And i don't have to deal with that twist in my brain of releasing a heavy Cougar that still slings around centerpoint after that 0,5 seconds delay...:music_whistling:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!