Nevada CAS instant action mission bugs

St4rgun

Is it me, or something odd is going on generally with the A-10C II Nevada CAS instant mission:

• the wingman reports targets of opportunity at the beginning of the mission, yet he's not answering to FM radio calls. I can't give any orders to him
  • I double checked the FM frequency in the mission editor: it's 251 MHz, so tried to use that frequency in man mode and preset channel 1 also, with no luck
  • after successfully completing the mission on my own with an unusable wingmen circling around we made RTB along the planned route and I manage to land correctly
  • just to struck in the back moments after touchdown by my own wingman

Somehow the AI understands that we're about to land (based on speed, landing gear and flaps status). Yet he's moving erratically (jumping up/down in the air) or worse - as I wrote previously - is completely out of sight (behind me) just to be in the worst place the worst time seconds later. Ain't the the AI somehow sense that I'm in front of him on the runway and acts accordingly?

This way this SP mission is no joy...

• Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

7 hours ago, St4rgun said:

the wingman reports targets of opportunity at the beginning of the mission, yet he's not answering to FM radio calls. I can't give any orders to him

I just tried the mission in the current OpenBeta, and my wingman does respond to radio calls.

But 251.000 MHz is a frequency on the UHF AM radio. If you try to contact the wingman via the FM radio, he won't respond. 😉

To use the UHF radio, use the HOTAS Mic Switch Down command, and double check that the text above the radio dropdown reads "CB UHF", then it should work.

7 hours ago, St4rgun said:

just to struck in the back moments after touchdown by my own wingman

Ah yes, DCS AI at its finest. 😄

Keeping them in formation during landing has always been sketchy, but I think in the past there was a chance that the wingman would go around and fly his own approach eventually.

To increase the odds of a good landing for both of you, you can either send the wingman to land ahead of you with the RTB command, or have him orbit somewhere via the "Hold current position" command (or similar), and then allow him to RTB when you're clear of the runway.

Ohh, as I said in the first sentence: "Is it me..." 😀

Thanks, the CB AM radio indeed works. Bad transmit button press, ehh. Thanks.

As long as I can give orders to the wingman it's much more safe to let him land first.

• Like 2
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

On 5/13/2022 at 7:30 PM, Yurgon said:

I just tried the mission in the current OpenBeta, and my wingman does respond to radio calls.

But 251.000 MHz is a frequency on the UHF AM radio. If you try to contact the wingman via the FM radio, he won't respond. 😉

To use the UHF radio, use the HOTAS Mic Switch Down command, and double check that the text above the radio dropdown reads "CB UHF", then it should work.

Ah yes, DCS AI at its finest. 😄

Keeping them in formation during landing has always been sketchy, but I think in the past there was a chance that the wingman would go around and fly his own approach eventually.

To increase the odds of a good landing for both of you, you can either send the wingman to land ahead of you with the RTB command, or have him orbit somewhere via the "Hold current position" command (or similar), and then allow him to RTB when you're clear of the runway.

What DOES the CB in CB UHF stand for anyway?

7 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

What DOES the CB in CB UHF stand for anyway?

That makes two of us who wonder what the answer is. 😉

I always read it as "Circuit Breaker Ultra High Frequency", but that doesn't make much sense. My (lack of) creativity has not allowed me to come up with a more plausible explanation, though.

i believe (but not sure) that CB stands for citizen or commercial band which is UHF.

https://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/2003-allochrt.pdf

time for an SME to enter the chat.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

8 hours ago, NineLine said:

have you made a report on this yet to anyone?

I don't believe I have, but what part do you mean in particular? 😉

So far, this thread was about:

• Radio calls to AI in Instant Action -> A-10C II -> Nevada (resolved; user error)
  • A-10C II AI erratic Wingman behavior during landing
  •  What does "CB UHF" mean?