In game checklist

upyr1

"a checklist"?

That's a bit of a generic  wish there mate. A checklist for what exactly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

"a checklist"?

That's a bit of a generic  wish there mate. A checklist for what exactly?

Whatever checklist a pilot would actually have on their kneeboard. Pilot's don't do their start up by memory 

1 hour ago, Draken35 said:

I imagine that OP is referring to something like that game where you fly civilian planes uses...

But we do have checklists... And a place to put them... Kneeboard and plenty of files in the User files 😉

Military pilots use them too, and they should come standard with each module. 

• Like 2

The manuals include checklists. 

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I think upyr1 probably means checklists in the kneeboard by default, like the C-101 for example.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

43 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

but you can't read them in VR. so making it part of the knee board by default means you can read them in game

I think you can add any pages to the kneeboard you like. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

11 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I think you can add any pages to the kneeboard you like. 

The developers should add them to the module. I get it you don't actually play DCS but just hang out under your bridge complaining. Also from various discussions I get that you don't understand how programing works either 

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

The developers should add them to the module.

Sure they could. But you can do this yourself right now if you wanted to. It’s not a bad idea but there’s already a way to accomplish this if you don’t want to wait for them. Everything Devs do takes a long time. 

Edited by SharpeXB

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Sure they could.

Excellent. No argument against then.

Your approval of the idea has been noted.

Everything Devs do takes a long time

Clicking “export as PNG” does not take a long time, even for a developer with access to the source assets and an auto-build tool. 😄

• Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

3 hours ago, Tippis said:

Excellent. No argument against then.

Your approval of the idea has been noted.

Clicking “export as PNG” does not take a long time, even for a developer with access to the source assets and an auto-build tool. 😄

If you can make the documentation you can make the knee board.

12 hours ago, upyr1 said:

The developers should add them to the module.

I agree, and I'd even go a step further: Check lists are bread and butter to any pilot, and often are treated differently from your "normal" cockpit stuff that goes onto the kneeboard, clipboard or bag. Checklists, with the emergency checklists on top, usually go into a special quick-access location in the cockpit. It's not that pilots really need them - they all know them by heart and exercise most each flight; it's just to ensure to have them accessible should need arise (say, you get disoriented or concussioned).

That's also the reason some aircraft (e.g. the Hornet) provide them as pages on their MFD. Personally, I'd love to see a *separate*, module-specific kneeboard analogue that is solely used for check lists and maintained by the module's developer. So, when you are in the Harrier, pressing the (global) Checklist button brings up a window that displays the (developer-provided) set of module-specific check list for the Harrier. If you switch to a Huey, that same button press brings up the Huey's checklists. etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ agree. It would be better that the checklists are handled as a separate function from the kneeboard, both because that’s realistic and to prevent the kneeboard from becoming clogged with less used info. 

Edited by SharpeXB

9 hours ago, cfrag said:

I agree, and I'd even go a step further: Check lists are bread and butter to any pilot, and often are treated differently from your "normal" cockpit stuff that goes onto the kneeboard, clipboard or bag. Checklists, with the emergency checklists on top, usually go into a special quick-access location in the cockpit. It's not that pilots really need them - they all know them by heart and exercise most each flight; it's just to ensure to have them accessible should need arise (say, you get disoriented or concussioned).

That's also the reason some aircraft (e.g. the Hornet) provide them as pages on their MFD. Personally, I'd love to see a *separate*, module-specific kneeboard analogue that is solely used for check lists and maintained by the module's developer. So, when you are in the Harrier, pressing the (global) Checklist button brings up a window that displays the (developer-provided) set of module-specific check list for the Harrier. If you switch to a Huey, that same button press brings up the Huey's checklists. etc. 

One of the reasons I suggested using the Kneeboard, is that there is a lot going on with the keyboard as it is. All that matters is we have them, there is a common key

• Like 1

I don't get why everyone is so sassy. A good checklist for the kneeboard should be included by default for all aircraft. The A4 mod comes with a really great kneeboard that should be the golden standard on how it should be done.

It's a reasonable request. The fact that you can add anything to your kneeboard is no excuse to not add a good checklist.

Maybe developers should not include the cockpit textures? Users can just download them from the user files after all if they want them. That's a silly argument to make. Maybe developers shouldn't make anything at all then! You can just download whole aircraft from the user files!

Anything the developers do take a really long time? Well maybe they should spend less time making countless same-gray aircraft skins with a different logo copy pasted on the tail fins and instead make something useful instead. They include 50 skins, and you can just download them from the user files if you really want to waste your hard drive space on that sort of stuff. Doesn't that take a really long time to make?

If they can make 50 skins and write a manual with checklists anyway, surely they can find the time to make a few checklist pages that look decent for the kneeboard.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FalcoGer said:

I don't get why everyone is so sassy. A good checklist for the kneeboard should be included by default for all aircraft. The A4 mod comes with a really great kneeboard that should be the golden standard on how it should be done.

It's a reasonable request. The fact that you can add anything to your kneeboard is no excuse to not add a good checklist.

Maybe developers should not include the cockpit textures? Users can just download them from the user files after all if they want them. That's a silly argument to make. Maybe developers shouldn't make anything at all then! You can just download whole aircraft from the user files!

Anything the developers do take a really long time? Well maybe they should spend less time making countless same-gray aircraft skins with a different logo copy pasted on the tail fins and instead make something useful instead. They include 50 skins, and you can just download them from the user files if you really want to waste your hard drive space on that sort of stuff. Doesn't that take a really long time to make?

If they can make 50 skins and write a manual with checklists anyway, surely they can find the time to make a few checklist pages that look decent for the kneeboard.

Most people aren't that sassy, that is mainly coming from one person. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FalcoGer said:

Anything the developers do take a really long time?

If you’ve been around DCS long enough you’ll realize anything a Dev does will actually take a very long time to accomplish. They’re busy. Even seemingly simple stuff like this. That’s what makes the wishlist section so… wishful. Any of these requests would take years to show up in the game. 

6 hours ago, FalcoGer said:

The fact that you can add anything to your kneeboard is no excuse to not add a good checklist.

The problem with adding so much to the kneeboard is that you can only scroll through it one page at a time. It doesn’t have tabs or sections. The complete checklists are actually quite large (29 pages for the A-10C) and not needed most times. Customizing the kneeboard per individual is a better solution for those that want specific things but filling it up for everyone is rather obtrusive. 

Edited by SharpeXB

Startup and other procedures really need to be in the kneeboard by default. It would make learning so much easier.

We also need to make the kneeboard more accessible for customization, adding custom mission pages should be done through the ME.

• Like 3

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

8 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

Startup and other procedures really need to be in the kneeboard by default. It would make learning so much easier.

Veering off topic but using a checklist in a passive way is not the best way to learn something. Engage in something active like making your own checklist. Doing something active is a better way to learn and memorize things than just reading it passively. Plus you can probably make a better more concise list for yourself. Then after doing that you use the same cockpit flow every time and memorize the process very quickly. Then you don’t need the checklist anymore. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, draconus said:

Yes, it does. You decide where and how many.

Good deal 👍 but see that’s another user feature to customize. Is that in the game itself or a mod? I’ve had DCS for ten years and have never seen that. It would be great if all the airbase charts were in a section etc. 

What’s funny about checklists is not all the aircraft even have them. The Hornet doesn’t appear to and it’s been out since 2018! Proof that nothing is quick or easy…

Edited by SharpeXB

using a checklist in a passive way is not the best way to learn something. Engage in something active like making your own checklist.

Perhaps. But then there is the fact that pilots usually don't make their own checklists. For obvious reasons - it's usually provided by the air frame's manufacturer or governing authority that signs off on it. With checklists, the "roll your own'' approach isn't really the best, so I'd be perfectly OK with ED or the mod's dev providing it .

What’s funny about checklists is not all the aircraft even have them.

They all do. Maybe not in DCS, in reality it comes with the aircraft. In DCS the Hornet even has checklist MFD pages.

[EDIT: belatedly I realize that you perhaps meant DCS planes. Indeed, unfortunately they don't and I think it would be great if they did]

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Perhaps. But then there is the fact that pilots usually don't make their own checklists. For obvious reasons

Sure but the point is about active leaning vs passive. They are required to memorize them so I suspect some method of study is required. Sometimes I make my own because the manuals are out of date or missing items. 

38 minutes ago, cfrag said:

They all do. Maybe not in DCS, in reality it comes with the aircraft. In DCS the Hornet even has checklist MFD pages.

Right. Obviously the real aircraft do. In DCS actually quite a few don’t. See again nothing is easy. It’s not even easy to put them in the manual let alone on a kneeboard.