Semi-clickable flaming cliffs and future FF modules

upyr1

I think it would be nice to make some parts of the FC cockpits clickable. Just put a knob switch or leaver in whatever is modeled currently in FC so they will work better in VR. Then when LOMAC is released I'd like some FF modules of whatever is possible 

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 1

The whole point of FC is that the aircraft are simple and less expensive than the DCS FF modules. So why give them clickable cockpits and therefore full systems?

LOMAC? I think you mean MAC? That’s the successor to Flaming Cliffs. 

The F-15C is the only FC aircraft that would make sense or be possible to develop further. And it’s already an obvious wish. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

7 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The whole point of FC is that the aircraft are simple and less expensive than the DCS FF modules. So why give them clickable cockpits and therefore full systems?

Because DCS better lends itself to full fidelity aircraft and there are people who want to see them made full fidelity.

And besides, FC3 is essentially LOMAC FC2 ported to DCS, improving the graphics and flight models (the the Su-25T still has the LOMAC FC2 exterior model).

The F-15C is the only aircraft that would make sense or be possible to develop further. And it’s already an obvious wish. 

Are we just ignoring the 9-12 MiG-29 and the Su-25?

I mean, the former ED 'hopes' to produce as a FF module.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 minute ago, Northstar98 said:

Are we just ignoring the 9-12 MiG-29 and the Su-25?

Yeah I’ve heard there might be a MiG-29 coming. The point is, this is already an obvious request, if it can be done.

3 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

And besides, FC3 is essentially LOMAC FC2 ported to DCS, improving the graphics and flight models.

Right. I’m not sure what the OP meant by “when LOMAC is released”. That’s an old game. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

37 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

LOMAC? I think you mean MAC? That’s the successor to Flaming Cliffs. 

The F-15C is the only FC aircraft that would make sense or be possible to develop further. And it’s already an obvious wish. 

You don't need to give the FC aircraft fully clickable cockpits- (it would be better to sell those as seperate modules) however I'm just saying stuff like the flaps, landing gear, the hud setting and whatever systems are modeled in flaming cliffs already to make them easier for VR. 

26 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

ED has confirmed the Mig-29 Module, after Ka-50-2, and coming as a Full Fidelity module. ED has none plans to improve FC3 or get more funtionality on cockpit clicable.

do you think that MAC would be semi-clickable 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

You don't need to give the FC aircraft fully clickable cockpits- (it would be better to sell those as seperate modules) however I'm just saying stuff like the flaps, landing gear, the hud setting and whatever systems are modeled in flaming cliffs already to make them easier for VR. 

do you think that MAC would be semi-clickable 

No, MAC has a FC3 Style low fidelity, level entry, none clickable. ED none talk anything about semi-clickable.

Just now, Silver_Dragon said:

No, MAC has a FC3 Style low fidelity, level entry, none clickable. ED none talk anything about semi-clickable.

I just think being able to click the gear and flaps would be eaiser than fumbling for them with a VR headset on something like this 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mohamengina said:

check out this mod

From the video, it looks like the buttons are animated too. Is this correct? I am not a mod guy because of all problems it causes. Are you aware of any conflicts with Stable version? I don't think I will ever understand the mod community. How do they find the time to donate something like this to the community as freeware?

Amazing video though thanks.

18 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

From the video, it looks like the buttons are animated too. Is this correct?

A few years back, all the FC3 planes got new updated 3D cockpits with lots of animated elements - I guess as provision for possible future FF modules, but mostly inactive in FC3.

I am not familiar with the mod in question, but it looks like what they did was to make clickable overlays for the FC3 aircraft, tying existing functions(otherwise only accessible via the keyboard) to those "dormant" cockpit animations.

Why ED didn´t do that themselves I don´t know - its an obvious way of making the "low fidelity" FC3 aircraft more interesting and enjoyable, so the only reason I can think of is that they want to maintain a clear distinction between FC3/MAC and Full fidelity modules with "clickability" reserved as an "advanced" feature only for the latter.

• Like 1

I agree, your suggestion sounds about right to me. It wouldn't make much business sense for ED to do something like that. 

But what could possibly work would be for the mod to partner with ED.

Using this case as the example, lets say I really like the plane set included in the FC3 package so I pick it up for $50. But then I want to add click in the pit, so I pick that package up too for another (insert $ here), from which ED gets a percentage.

This could be a business model that works because ED still sells the FC3 package like they always do, and if the customer wants more, ED generates another revenue stream without having to maintain the product beyond the FC3 product description, while the mod benefits from the large built-in client base ED provides it.

This type of partnership could be applied for a large number of really good mods. Imagine all the additional official DCS modules/assets we would have access to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Seaeagle said:

Why ED didn´t do that themselves I don´t know - its an obvious way of making the "low fidelity" FC3 aircraft more interesting and enjoyable,

These aircraft don’t have clickable cockpits because they simply don’t need them and it makes them less expensive. If every FC plane was the cost of a full fidelity module, Flaming Cliffs wouldn’t have a decent price point. 

That's a very good point @SharpeXB, and I would agree. If all the FC planes were the cost of a FF module, they wouldn't be selling FC3 anymore they would be selling FF modules. But if you read my previous post, nothing changes except ED and another 3rd party make a partnership where everyone benefits, you, me, the third party, and ED.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Callsign112 said:

But if you read my previous post, nothing changes except ED and another 3rd party make a partnership where everyone benefits, you, me, the third party, and ED.

But this would still have to be paid for and thence still raise the cost of FC. If ED wanted this functionality they could have included it themselves but they already said they have no plans to do anything like this.
And these aircraft modules have no functions which require a clickable cockpit. They don’t have radio channels to switch or any functions in their cockpit panels or screens etc. 

But this would still have to be paid for and thence still raise the cost of FC. If ED wanted this functionality they could have included it themselves but they already said they have no plans to do anything like this.
And these aircraft modules have no functions which require a clickable cockpit. They don’t have radio channels to switch or any functions in their cockpit panels or screens etc. 

It can be done with fc 4

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

It can be done with fc 4

I don’t know that there will be a FC 4. The next iteration of that genre is going to be called “Modern Air Combat” and is a separate game from DCS

Edited by SharpeXB

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I don’t know that there will be a FC 4. The next iteration of that genre is going to be called “Modern Air Combat” and is a separate game from DCS

It would be nice to have in Mac then

2 hours ago, upyr1 said:

It would be nice to have in Mac then

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Conversely FC is more aimed at the casual customer who may not have a lot of switches and buttons at hand. 

I stopped using the Su25 as I found having to keybind everything was a PITA. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

They have landing gear, flaps, hud brightness, and the like which would be easier to access in VR if they were clickable. They have some just not a lot. 

17 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Conversely FC is more aimed at the casual customer who may not have a lot of switches and buttons at hand. 

I stopped using the Su25 as I found having to keybind everything was a PITA. 

it is especially a pain in VR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

it is especially a pain in VR

It is indeed - that mod is a godsend. The A-10A (my favorite FC3 plane, even prefer it to the Charlie) has become even better with this little QoL improvement (HUD color and brightness, which used to occupy three buttons are now accessible hands free - yay! Same for flaps and gear - another 4 buttons freed up) Let's hope that ED get around adding some more switch animations to visually represent some of the switches' status. Those FC3 planes don't need to have all buttons animated, just the 20% we use 90% of the time 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cfrag said:

et's hope that ED get around adding some more switch animations to visually represent some of the switches' status. Those FC3 planes don't need to have all buttons animated, just the 20% we use 90% of the time 🙂

I just hopped in the SU25 to see how the clickable mod performed - wish I hadnt - made me realise how much I want a FF Sui25 and how much FC aircraft suck for me......:-(

The clickable things works quite well but the lack of animaton of the switches on the module itself is still a turn off.  I get the argument for costs etc but the complete lack of action and audiable feedback on many of the switches make the mod (and the modules with or without it) moot for me.  The "other sim" animates stuff in its non clkicky pits amd sell some indivual "collector" modules for pretty much the same as DCS charges for its induvudual FC units. 

If the plan is for FC aircraft to evolve to MAC I  hope for some improvment in this regard though I doubt ill see it. Not sure MAC is even going to see the light of day anytime soon. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

6 hours ago, upyr1 said:

They have landing gear, flaps, hud brightness, and the like which would be easier to access in VR if they were clickable. They have some just not a lot. 

Most players use HOTAS controls for these. 

• Thanks 1