9999m Lasing limit

Hobel

• ED Team

Based on the linked conversation from the other thread, I believe the OP is saying that the laser should be able to physically designate a target for other platforms or munitions out to the maximum DCS laser range of ~8NM/15km, even though the DCS AH-64D only processes the return to a maximum range of 9999 meters.  For example, a GBU-12 should be able to guide to the laser designation from an AH-64D that is 12km away from the target, even though the player(s) in the AH-64D only see "9999" in their range readout.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

8 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Based on the linked conversation from the other thread, I believe the OP is saying that the laser should be able to physically designate a target for other platforms or munitions out to the maximum DCS laser range of ~8NM/15km, even though the DCS AH-64D only processes the return to a maximum range of 9999 meters.  For example, a GBU-12 should be able to guide to the laser designation from an AH-64D that is 12km away from the target, even though the player(s) in the AH-64D only see "9999" in their range readout.

Yep, indeed the bug that's being reported is that the Apache laser has it's "magic end" range set to 9999m (in common with the Combined Arms laser) instead of the usual DCS laser end range which I think is still 15,000m. I suppose "not sensible difference in physics" is more accurate than "bug" in the strictest sense of the word.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Raptor9:

Exactly that thanks.

My humble , uneducated guess is the laser effective range is accidentally tied in the code directly to the digital display limitation rather than having separate values: one for the readout and one for effective range (which should be 15km to match other laser logic on dcs)

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Bump. This is marked “correct as is” but it is not correct. Digital range read out is correct. Effective range of the LRFD is not correct. Effective range should match DCS global range limitations of roughly 15km.

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I think it is "correct as is", the digital read-out ends at 9999.  They are not saying the laser beam is ending at 9999 m, it still goes on for a distance.

That is how I understand it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

3 hours ago, Sarge55 said:

I think it is "correct as is", the digital read-out ends at 9999.  They are not saying the laser beam is ending at 9999 m, it still goes on for a distance.

That is how I understand it.

The original post here is about the laser energy specifically stopping at 9999 meters in DCS world. This isn't being simulated correctly, and that is the issue being brought up by the OP.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 11:34 PM, REPTAR said:

The original post here is about the laser energy specifically stopping at 9999 meters in DCS world. This isn't being simulated correctly, and that is the issue being brought up by the OP.

Exactly, and this is not correct as is @BIGNEWY:

On 5/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, Raptor9 said:

• Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

My bad, search skills failed me.

This has already been reported internally. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I’m changing my position on this report. After speaking with some pilots they educated me on Apache laser having less strength than a jet laser, that environment would play an issue, and also training protocols. So a 9999 designate limit matching the TSD makes enough sense as it should be less than the 15km jet designation. 

Apologies for bumping this

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

If anything, it's the 15km designation limit for jets that's too short. You can designate from much further away, weather permitting. The laser doesn't magically end, what happens is that its strength is attenuated by atmosphere and the spot size increases, making it less bright (since energy is spread over a larger area). The former effect is greatly affected by weather, the latter less so. Ranges should depend on pod being used, for instance the Sniper can designate from 30+kft, with slant ranges far exceeding 15km. The Apache, not necessarily, but it should go beyond the ranging limit, since for ranging, you need the laser to not only hit, but to come back.

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb S. Low:

I’m changing my position on this report. After speaking with some pilots they educated me on Apache laser having less strength than a jet laser, that environment would play an issue, and also training protocols. So a 9999 designate limit matching the TSD makes enough sense as it should be less than the 15km jet designation. 

Apologies for bumping this

But then you also have to reevaluate helicopters like the Gazelle or the KA50, which also have exactly 15km range.

I think 15km is a good compromise for the current point in time

@Dragon 1-1  has also already summarized this quite well

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I’ll go test that later.

Thanks for highlighting 

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Wow! good to know! Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Thanks for the Info! Sounds great! 

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - CH-47F - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1