9999m Lasing limit

Hobel

• ED Team
Just now, Hobel said:

The display limit is of course still 9999, but you can see on the TAD page when you have reached the 15km limit.

If that is occurring, that is a bug. The 9999 isn't just a display limit, that is the maximum range that laser energy is processed.

Not to say that the light beam itself doesn't continue on, but if the TSD page is showing the TADS line further than 9999 meters when lasing, that needs to get resolved.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Not to say that the light beam itself doesn't continue on

May i ask Raptor, if by that you mean that the laser its too scattered to get good returns. To range and designate.
Meaning that after those 9999mts it not posible to use the laser to guide munitions ?

• ED Team
36 minutes ago, Renko said:

May i ask Raptor, if by that you mean that the laser its too scattered to get good returns. To range and designate.
Meaning that after those 9999mts it not posible to use the laser to guide munitions ?

Meaning that in DCS, regardless of how far the simulated laser beam actually goes, the intended behavior of the DCS AH-64D is that it should only display a laser range out to 9999 meters on the TSD.

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

11 hours ago, Renko said:

Keep in mind that for ranging the laser needs to reflect all the way back to the source (the Apache), while for designation it's only one way to the target and thus requiring much less energy.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The current behavior of the laser is still bugged, as far as I can tell.

1. Range 0-9999m: Displays range accurately (Correct)
  2. Range 10000m-15000m: Displays 9999 (Correct), TSD updates the laser line of sight and range to match actual range (incorrect, should be 9999m)
  3. Range >15000m: Doesn't update range information, doesn't even change range source, it stays last valid range source, for example man range, nav range, etc. If the range source already is the laser, no updates are made. For instance you lase the ground in front of you at 50m, then lase the sky, it stays 50m. (incorrect, should be 9999, TADS should also show laser LOS with length 9999)

I am pretty confident that it should always switch to laser range as source and display 9999 if the apache doesn't get the laser energy back, such as when lasing the sky or very far terrain. I think right now, the apache gets laser energy back at say 12km, processes 12km, displays 9999 and updates the TSD to show 12km. If there is no return, because the laser stopped at 15km, then no processing takes place at all where it should be processed that, in fact, nothing is returning.

Edited by FalcoGer
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2023 at 9:11 PM, Hobel said:

i don't know if you've noticed, but the laser now has a range of 15km.

buddy lasing with other apaches is now very possible, one apache is in safe range and lase, the another is closer and behind cover and can fire.😎

Oh wow - I don't know how I missed this.

I'm assuming this is only Open Beta - or was this done before and included in the last Stable Release as well?