Labels based IFF?

stormrider2

The friendly versus hostile unit identification system includes realistic limitations that real operators must contend with before pulling the trigger. This system will be applied to both the George AI for DCS: AH-64D and Petrovich AI for DCS: Mi-24P Hind.

This system will include customizable identification modes that mission creators can use. For the most simple mode, the AI will instantly know if the target is friendly or hostile. In the most sophisticated mode, identification will depend on distance, lighting, angular size, aspect, and the presence of the vehicles in a coalition. The system will also have default settings that are tuned according to the mission's F10 map and label settings.

That sounds very interesting. One thing that caught my attention is the bold statement regarding "tuned according to the missions map and label settings".

What does that mean exactly? Is that some sort of setup where the system will take into account "blue" or "red" graphics from the mission editor, to bias the decision making of the AI unit in IFF? If that's the case, that's specially interesting and realistic.

Just a quick reply, no guarantee all infos are correct ^^

Labels can be set on Client (options), for each Mission (via Editor) and on the Server. AFAIK Mission settings will overwrite every other setting ( even server ?).

Then there are different Label "show" options. Like full = show a dot thing on the entity, its side (red, blue, neutral) and a name, e.g. AH64D or T90 and so on. Then only some chevron symbol over the entity in the side color again. Or even only a "neutral" symbol (never used that setting befor, guess it will only kinda point you to "there is an entity".

So my guess is on the new AI IFF system, that the higher the settings for the labels are, the better is the "knowledge" of the AI about the IFF status of that entity.

And for F10 map options its also like unit shown on map etc.

Just my guess shot at this 🙂

K

• Like 1

I hope these options are not directly hardcoded together.

As a mission builder, I would like to have the option for: In the mission for the player "Labels off" and "Map Show Nothing"     BUT George/ Petrovich just sees everything. Or any other combination. Whatever seems right to me...

Edited by Dagobert666
  • Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Dagobert666:

I hope these options are not directly hardcoded together.

As a mission builder, I would like to have the option for: In the mission for the player "Labels off" and "Map Show Nothing"     BUT George/ Petrovich just sees everything. Or any other combination. Whatever seems right to me...

+1

maybe even put it into the aircraft options? So as mission designer i could put in "hardcore" Apaches for single player usage that want the challenge and also "godmode" ones for newcomers.

• Like 1

Couldn't give two schlits about realism.

Is what we see in the flir video realistic at the moment? Nope, most items in the game don't have a FLIR profile. Are there fair comparisons between the views of someone on a 4K flat panel vs someone in VR? NOPE! Not even a fair comparison between VR zoom and zoom with axis.

There are many limitations inherit to the sim, and many missing items, that make identification difficult. Are we getting IR beacons?

So long as George stops immediately locking onto friendlies and firing on them.

If it were up to me, the target list would be sorted by most dangerous threat to my aircraft shown first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2