Set SuperCarrier for Case III regardless of actual conditions

AvgWhiteGuy

1 hour ago, norman99 said:

@PaulToo I’m a big AirBoss fan, but it will not activate the Hornet ACLS. The only way to do this is via the DCS comm system (or the VAIComm work around mentioned above).

👍 Thanks for the the answer. Not what I was hoping for. Strange decision to tie the acls to the comms menu, I wonder how sqdn with human Marshal/LSO deal with that headache. Hopefully were will be a workaround for airboss in the future or ED makes the hornet's acls compatible with it.

You can push the CASE III conditions just changing the weather with the presets OVERCAST+ RAIN, also changing wind intensity etc,...would work fine to your pourposes, also you're going to practise almost "IRL" conditions where CASE III is aplied. I remind you those types of recovery are based in Visual Rules so you can perform a case II-III at 12 o'clock mid day if you can't see anything beyond your A/C nose.

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

On 5/21/2022 at 4:28 AM, PaulToo said:

Strange decision to tie the acls to the comms menu, I wonder how sqdn with human Marshal/LSO deal with that headache.

It's realistic that pilot needs to set the aircraft and LSO sets the systems and data for him after the proper comms. Of course something is needed for the human operator to have that option in DCS. It may well be planned with the coming SC features.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

@OLD CROW...don't need to go through any of that, especially for my intended purpose, NO inclement weather or variables that would be any distraction. No Wind, Rain, Sleet, Snow, Darkness, Locusts, Famine...just an almost unnoticeable dash of Fog did the trick. The only place you'll really notice it is on the deck looking out. Reminded me of a San Diego offshore morning👣

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy
  • Like 2

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Then the answer  to your question to CASE III in RVR CAVOK conditions in nowadays DCS is NO cause is the SC ATC who dictates the recovery case depending of the weather forecast conditions, at least from what I know. 

A simple Human being's Passion

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

14 hours ago, OLD CROW said:

Then the answer  to your question to CASE III in RVR CAVOK conditions in nowadays DCS is NO cause is the SC ATC who dictates the recovery case depending of the weather forecast conditions, at least from what I know. 

Which you can force a change of - if you're able to transmit the 'Established', 'Commencing', 'Platform' radio commands. As mentioned - Vaicom allows users to do this in CAVOK conditions - so unless it's a restricted API call (not sure whether VAICOM uses SDK commands or just open ones) - it should also be possible to add using a LUA script. 

@OLD CROW....no, I think believe the predicate is a 'weather' related value, just ATC. I started my MIZ with more serious Case III parameters then just whittled my way down by removing them piece by piece (darkness [time], rain, cloud formations, etc...) until it end as Case I. Then I noticed the Fog and started to play with that until I got it down to the present settings in my MIZ where it retained Case III.

As another test I just created a new mission on Channel map with CVN72 and a single F/A-18, default weather at 10:00hrs. On the  'Inbound' call it was automatically set for Case I. When I then just added Fog (Visibility=10,000ft and Thickness=150ft) it immediately changed to Case III. As you can see from the image below, CVN72 is clearly visible from 21mi @ 5,700ft, so the parms for Case III seem to be pretty liberal.

@Dangerzone...I'm still curious how you are able to get the additional ATC commands, I'm not able to do that on VAICOM..what am I doing wrong, or did you add some commands.

image.png

null

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy
  • Like 1

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

6 hours ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

@Dangerzone...I'm still curious how you are able to get the additional ATC commands, I'm not able to do that on VAICOM..what am I doing wrong, or did you add some commands.

image.png

null

Do you have VAICOM configured so you actually say "Hornet Ball" on a PTT button assigned to VAICOM and it will 'call the ball' for you on the carrier frequency (if you're tuned in)?

If so - do exactly the same thing, but instead of saying "Hornet Ball", say "Platform" and see what happens. 

For me if I do this say at 15 miles out, at 8 miles I get the 'final radar contact' call. I also get the 'needles' call, etc as well. 

• Thanks 1

@Dangerzone.....moving forward slowly...I did not have the ATC Extended but purchased and registered last night. See below. But I'm still at a loss for having no additional commands after Inbound. Is there a response in image below that gives a clue, especially 'Selected recipient is not a SuperCarrier unit' ? It's CVN71....

image.jpeg2022-05-26 13_59_35-Window.jpg

1 hour ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

@Dangerzone.....moving forward slowly...I did not have the ATC Extended but purchased and registered last night. See below. But I'm still at a loss for having no additional commands after Inbound. Is there a response in image below that gives a clue, especially 'Selected recipient is not a SuperCarrier unit' ? It's CVN71....

image.jpeg2022-05-26 13_59_35-Window.jpg

Hi mate,

OK - so it recognised 'commencing' to be required for a supercarrier unit. Were you on the right frequency (and the right radio) when you said that?

I'm no VAICOM expert - but I have 3 buttons bound for VAICOM. One is just a general command such as 'REARM', etc. The other two are for radio coms. I know that in order for this to work I have to hit the VAICOM button that's bound to the same radio that is tuned into the supercarrier. 

To make sure it's working correctly you should be able to hit one of the radio buttons and say "Select Washington" - which should automatically tune that radio in the hornet to the washington frequency. Then you'll know it's set right and should be able to do the inbound, commencing, etc. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.png

image.png

@Dangerzone....sorry about delay responding but you've nailed down my problem...the COMS setup with VAICOM. This is where I need some help. I have a Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle but I really didn't set the COMS switches up correctly many wars ago. I also have VAICOM Pro with the relevant addon/mods for Chatter, Realistic ATC & Kneeboard.

I want to separate COMS into 4 areas if this is possible-reasonable-logical; Forward - Radio#1, Back - Radio#2, Up-Ground Crew, Down - Internal Cockpit commands (Gear Up/Down, Launch Bar Up/Down, TakeOff Trim, & other lazy commands). Some of these Internal Cockpit Commands are needed since my Throttle has some rain damage!!!

I honestly don't know how to set this up correctly....for at least the 2 Radios so if someone can walk an old man thru it I would greatly appreciate it. If the 2 images above are relevant to solving,fixing my problem please advise.

Thanks,

16 hours ago, AvgWhiteGuy said:

image.png

image.png

@Dangerzone....sorry about delay responding but you've nailed down my problem...the COMS setup with VAICOM. This is where I need some help. I have a Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle but I really didn't set the COMS switches up correctly many wars ago. I also have VAICOM Pro with the relevant addon/mods for Chatter, Realistic ATC & Kneeboard.

I want to separate COMS into 4 areas if this is possible-reasonable-logical; Forward - Radio#1, Back - Radio#2, Up-Ground Crew, Down - Internal Cockpit commands (Gear Up/Down, Launch Bar Up/Down, TakeOff Trim, & other lazy commands). Some of these Internal Cockpit Commands are needed since my Throttle has some rain damage!!!

I honestly don't know how to set this up correctly....for at least the 2 Radios so if someone can walk an old man thru it I would greatly appreciate it. If the 2 images above are relevant to solving,fixing my problem please advise.

Thanks,

Given that this is OT, I'd suggest posting this in the VAICOM thread instead. I stumbled my way through the config - not sure what I did, all I know is that it works so there's probably better people that can give you a clear answer immediately over there.

I don't have a ground crew option - I just use one of the radio's and it still seems to work if that's of any help though.

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2022 at 1:19 PM, AvgWhiteGuy said:

This MIZ below is even more interesting for those interested the final 15 miles with ACLS Case III AND full COMS interaction. it's a beautiful June late afternoon (1845hrs), great sunlight and any fog is barely noticeable. I guess I fooled the system.
Fly 'Snake 1800'; you begin at 1,800ft@300....stabilize flight then immediately Active Pause On. Set up the aircraft for carrier recovery...TACAN, ILS, ACLS (all settings in briefing) and cockpit cleanup, etc.
Make Inbound call and follow the normal Case III radio procedures without stopping...Established > Commencing > [Switch Approach] > Check In > Platform.

Active Pause Off and fly her home...

If you want the full experience take a ride in Pontiac Inbound, she starts at 7,000ft about 50mi out.

ACLS System Test_Caucasus_Day_v2.miz 30.6 kB · 47 downloads

Never to late for a thanks.

I finally managed to master the Case III recoveries.

Your 2 missions helped me a lot (although you can't creat such missions with the DCS tools only).