In game FPS limiter, especially for VR.

MartinVoy

Please, could we have FPS limiter in game, it would be very helpful for VR especially. 
Limiting FPS helps to avoid stutter a lot.

I was using Open XR Toolkit for that, but it's 3rd party software and causes some issues sometime too - yet is showed that capping FPS at 1/2 or 1/3 of VR headset refresh rate is a huge improvement in smoothness of the game.

Thank you.

• Like 1

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

On 5/14/2022 at 4:40 PM, Hoirtel said:

If you run Nvidia you can set a per game fps cap in the control panel. 

Unfortunately it doesn't work for VR. It doesn't lock in VR at all.

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

On 5/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, MartinVoy said:

Please, could we have FPS limiter in game, it would be very helpful for VR especially. 

I was using Open XR Toolkit for that, but it's 3rd party software and causes some issues sometime too - yet is showed that capping FPS at 1/2 or 1/3 of VR headset refresh rate is a huge improvement in smoothness of the game.

Thank you.

You have options in steamVR or OpenXR toolkit to force reprojection. Why do you want more  and why do you think it will be better ?

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

14 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

You have options in steamVR or OpenXR toolkit to force reprojection. Why do you want more  and why do you think it will be better ?

It could be better or not, I don't know. I think sometime build in solutions works better. I'm having massive FPS drops every now and then , form like 45FPS stable to 15FPS constant. Sometime it helps if I'd do Alt+Tab to switch out of DCS and witch back to it, and FPS would be back to 45, but it not always works and I need to restart DCS then. I feel like it may be something with OpenXR Motion Reprojection. Still I'm guessing now. I don't believe ED would implement it anyway. Flat screen don't need that, VR is too small market yet, to move some developing resources there, so the topic is going to die anyway, I believe.

15 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Works for me in VR. I used it yesterday actually.

My bad, I changed general setting, not per-game one. I'll give it another go. Cheers!

7 hours ago, MartinVoy said:

I'm having massive FPS drops every now and then , form like 45FPS stable to 15FPS constant

Wait, are you requesting a *lower* fps limit? I don't think that is possible. If your card hasn't the headroom to run a scene at 60 fps, that's just it. FPS limiters are for the maximum fps so the fps can't exceed that. I don't think there's a way to force the game to raise that. There are some reprojection VR tools that re-displaying the last frame (i.e. drop the unfinished current) but that still required that every second frame is drawn correctly and can only go so far. If your card goes below a threshold (say, 15 fps) no amount of tech (that I'm aware of) can give you a sustained 60 fps.

Did I misunderstand something?

7 hours ago, MartinVoy said:

It could be better or not, I don't know. I think sometime build in solutions works better. I'm having massive FPS drops every now and then , form like 45FPS stable to 15FPS constant. Sometime it helps if I'd do Alt+Tab to switch out of DCS and witch back to it, and FPS would be back to 45, but it not always works and I need to restart DCS then. I feel like it may be something with OpenXR Motion Reprojection. Still I'm guessing now. I don't believe ED would implement it anyway. Flat screen don't need that, VR is too small market yet, to move some developing resources there, so the topic is going to die anyway, I believe.

My bad, I changed general setting, not per-game one. I'll give it another go. Cheers!

Sounds like a memory issue. Check for background apps and ensure pagefile is set correctly. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, MartinVoy said:

Thank you.

If you use motion reprojection/motion smoothing, your FPS are already capped.
But if you turn it off, because it causes issues, it won´t be smooth with just 30 or 45 FPS.

The way it works is that for example with a 90Hz headset, if your GPU can only manage 45 FPS, the software will calculate an intermediate picture and fills in the "missing" 45 frames.
This comes at the cost of picture quality because it doesn´t have all the information of a fully rendered picture. It basically takes frame 1 and frame 3 and interpolates what it think frame 2 would look like.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MartinVoy said:

It could be better or not, I don't know. I think sometime build in solutions works better. I'm having massive FPS drops every now and then , form like 45FPS stable to 15FPS constant. Sometime it helps if I'd do Alt+Tab to switch out of DCS and witch back to it, and FPS would be back to 45, but it not always works and I need to restart DCS then. I feel like it may be something with OpenXR Motion Reprojection. Still I'm guessing now. I don't believe ED would implement it anyway. Flat screen don't need that, VR is too small market yet, to move some developing resources there, so the topic is going to die anyway, I believe

At first use fpsVR to understand if your issue is created by GPU or CPU, and if you can reproduce it by replaying the same mission. Otherwise it mat he something not linked with the game...

• Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll give it all go and try yours ideas.

• Thanks 1