Auto-Rudder Option for less-abled peoples

RaceFuel85

I know part of the challenge and joy of the Tomcat is its handling quirks, however a friend of mine recently got the Tomcat and is mobility bound (wheelchair, complete leg paralysis) and is having difficulty coordinating their rudder work with the jet using a HOTAS.  

Would it be possible/agreeable to have auto-rudder as a special option in this case?  I know I'm likely to get some real charming responses from gatekeepers, but I figured I'd ask for those unable or unwilling to do so. 

Thanks for an amazing module, Heatblur! 

• Like 3

Hmmm...I used to have a HOTAS (made by Saitek, I think) that used a rocker switch underneath the throttle for yaw input that you would manipulate with your middle and ring fingers.  Maybe your friend could make use of something similar.

Edited by Nexus-6

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

3 hours ago, Nexus-6 said:

Hmmm...I used to have a HOTAS (made by Saitek, I think) that used a rocker switch underneath the throttle for yaw input that you would manipulate with your middle and ring fingers.  Maybe your friend could make use of something similar.

The Thrust Master TWCS throttle has the rocker on it.  It works very well for rudder...when it works.  Unfortunately, like a lot of TM stuff, it tends to get a bit twitchy after a lot of use.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

The problem with this request is a lot of people who are not disabled will use it. They want to fly the F-14 without flying the F-14. 😑

Their loss.  Literally.  Even a substantial auto-rudder implementation is going to have areas where it will over or undercompensate for inputs.  It wouldn't catch the opposite rudder into aileron roll acceleration, nor, if its an auto-rudder as opposed to a mock FBW system, would it be able to know when to invoke pedal for roll acceleration at high AoA.

I wouldn't oppose this for anyone who needs it to enjoy the Tomcat.  I would, however, ask if Race has possibly noted regimes or situations where his friend is having difficulty and not able to get the jet to respond like he needs it.  It may simply come down to practice under certain settings (such as the ECS disabled to lower cockpit sound) to more confidently learn the cues and how to respond to them.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 10:51 PM, WarthogOsl said:

The Thrust Master TWCS throttle has the rocker on it.  It works very well for rudder...when it works.  Unfortunately, like a lot of TM stuff, it tends to get a bit twitchy after a lot of use.

Been using this for over 5 years now as i have no room under my desk for rudder paddles and the cost of a new desk + quality rudders is a bit too much for me to invest in. I understand why it may not be enough for the helo guys, but for warbirds and Tomcats it's more then enough. 

• Like 3

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

On 5/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, Callsign JoNay said:

The problem with this request is a lot of people who are not disabled will use it. They want to fly the F-14 without flying the F-14. 😑

Given that the latest patch added an unrealistic flap control based on user requests, I'm not sure it matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VFA41_Lion said:

so what? how does that affect you?

It affects people flying against it. 

• Like 2

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

So, we don't really know what is requested here. Is it some kind of artificial (thus unrealistic) stick-rudder interconnect system or just the need to operate rudder from HOTAS alone (for which there are already options for).

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

The only time I use the Tomcats Rudders is during Nose Wheel Steering through key binding on the Keyboard (left and right Arrow keys) with Wheelbreaks set on the up Arrow key, in the air its a combination of mini stick (y-axis) on Throttle 2 HOTAS and split the Throttles.    Be adaptable with what you have.

Edited by DarkJedi_7
  • Like 1

As a fellow disabled person who couldn't use rudder pedals if someone sent me the best set money can buy for free (though I would give it a try, and I might just have enough movement in my legs to use them, but I'm bed-bound 98% of the time), I can reiterate this request, but for the entire sim, not just the Tomcat.  I'm primarily a Hornet driver (though I did pick up the F16 during the sale happening now, but only have flown it for maybe 30 minutes), and I don't see myself picking up any of the other existing planes (mayyyyybe the Harrier, once I can fly the 18 and 16 like a pro).

My joystick does have a twist rudder, and I use it exclusively for taxi and takeoff, but no matter what I try with the curve settings on it, so far anyway I still manage to run off the runway almost every land takeoff.  Or damn close, anyway.

An auto-rudder function like they have in MSFS would be a godsend to me.

We'll take it into consideration, but not sure how easily doable this would be for us, so no promise for now.

12 hours ago, WarthogOsl said:

Given that the latest patch added an unrealistic flap control based on user requests, I'm not sure it matter.

One has nothing to do with the other. Homepit builders do deserve to get the means to fulfill their hobby, too. We're reverting it in this case, because it allows for unrealistic functionality (which we did not consider, only the unrealistic input, which quite frankly would be fine else, if it helps folks build their home pits.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

6 hours ago, IronMike said:

We'll take it into consideration, but not sure how easily doable this would be for us, so no promise for now.

One has nothing to do with the other. Homepit builders do deserve to get the means to fulfill their hobby, too. We're reverting it in this case, because it allows for unrealistic functionality (which we did not consider, only the unrealistic input, which quite frankly would be fine else, if it helps folks build their home pits.)

Yeah, was just going by that it was called out in the change log as " (unrealistic but wanted by some)"

If this feature appears, it should be possible to ban it on multiplayer servers.

My joystick does have a twist rudder, and I use it exclusively for taxi and takeoff, but no matter what I try with the curve settings on it, so far anyway I still manage to run off the runway almost every land takeoff.  Or damn close, anyway.

I have a chewy dog so I have to keep my rudder pedals locked which means I am too lazy to plug them in every time i fly. I use twist on my joystick for my FBW jets (and the viggen) and never had a problem during taxi.

Edited by sparrow88

Get some of that super bitter anti-chewing goo and hose your pedals. I have a couple cats who are also big into treating USB cables like licorice ropes. They lose interest real fast once that stuff hits their lips.

Unknowingly got some on my hands once, imagine the most hipstery triple IPA made by a brewer who didn’t understand Magnum and Apollo wern't meant to be fermenter dry hopped. But they had a whole bushel of them so….yea. And it lingers. 

works a charm.

Edited by RustBelt
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, KevyKevTPA said:

As a fellow disabled person who couldn't use rudder pedals if someone sent me the best set money can buy for free (though I would give it a try, and I might just have enough movement in my legs to use them, but I'm bed-bound 98% of the time), I can reiterate this request, but for the entire sim, not just the Tomcat.  I'm primarily a Hornet driver (though I did pick up the F16 during the sale happening now, but only have flown it for maybe 30 minutes), and I don't see myself picking up any of the other existing planes (mayyyyybe the Harrier, once I can fly the 18 and 16 like a pro).

An auto-rudder function like they have in MSFS would be a godsend to me.

In the interim, you can try binding the rudder controls (normally Z and X) to your Hotas too. I know others that have had success this way. Use the buttons for takeoff and landing. Use the twist for flight. 

On 5/23/2022 at 11:48 PM, Bailey said:

In the interim, you can try binding the rudder controls (normally Z and X) to your Hotas too. I know others that have had success this way. Use the buttons for takeoff and landing. Use the twist for flight. 

Wouldn't using buttons mean you get either 0% or 100%, but nothing in between?