Engagement rules question

Hi all,

I am relatively new to air combat and I'd like to learn more about the rules of engagement. Some of them are not quite clear for me. For instance, am I allowed to fire any shots head-on? I thought I was not and I just got gunned down head-on 😅 what do they mean by front-quarter shots?

If you have some resources explaining some of the rules that would be great. I understand soft and hard deck. I'm not quite sure about the 'bubble' -  does that just mean I cannot get within 500  ft' of other aircraft? Any help is appreciated!

The campaign is otherwise fantastic and it's def a dream come true!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

Hey, good questions, thanks for reaching out. 

forward quarter shots mean you won’t kill the bandit before the merge because the exercise wants you to do some engaged maneuvering. Once you merge the game cannot tell what shot is head on and what shot isn’t. 

the bubble means exactly that. Then again, there is no way to prevent the dcs ai from going closer, the way they fight is hard coded, it’s just to give the player some realistic safety considerations. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What does ‘nose high aircraft goes high’ mean? Also wondering about the decks. Was the pilot supposed to calculate 5000’ft AGL to pressure altitude? I can see how they could use radar altimeter for the 500’ft deck, but how did they monitor the higher decks? Thanks In advance, loving the reality of the campaign!

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

Hey, great questions.

It means if you're flying towards each other and your nose is higher than your opponents, then you pass above him, don't try to go below, thus risking a collision.

The decks are AMSL in real life, so flat. In game you can't restrict the AI not to go below a certain altitude so 500' AGL was a compromise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
I (finally) bought the Zone 5 Campaign (& Fear the Bones) today. Means for me: All other modules & campaigns are now irrelevant for the next few months. I've been watching videos of both campaigns on youtube for weeks now. And I don't think I will regret it. Regarding the engagement rules, I have a question: What exactly does soft deck mean? At least I can imagine Hard Deck: no fighting takes place from 500 feet and below. Is it correct?

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

20 minutes ago, kotor633 said:

Hi,
I (finally) bought the Zone 5 Campaign (& Fear the Bones) today. Means for me: All other modules & campaigns are now irrelevant for the next few months. I've been watching videos of both campaigns on youtube for weeks now. And I don't think I will regret it. Regarding the engagement rules, I have a question: What exactly does soft deck mean? At least I can imagine Hard Deck: no fighting takes place from 500 feet and below. Is it correct?

"soft deck" is a certain altitude above "hard deck" determined in your briefing. say the hard deck is 10000. soft deck might be 5000 more. sort of a warning zone. A-10 has a setting to warn you from going below a certain altitude. go below the hard deck in training and you are considered dead because to crashed into the ground or sea.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

48 minutes ago, kotor633 said:

Hi,

As said above, soft deck is above the hard deck. The rule is: no low speed-high AoA maneuvering below the soft deck. The hard deck simulates the ground - so if you reach it, that means you crashed (without killing you and wasting a multimillion dollar jet)

In game, however, the AI cannot be told to fight but in the meantime not go below a certain altitude. So with Bio we set it as low as 500 feet AGL, so that they don't always break it. DCS limitations.

Edited by Reflected