Self Destruct triggers on targets

Curious if there are any large explosions programmed in?

In mission 20 Bombs over Maykop, my Snakeeyes hit only the first 2 planes (damn F5 RIPL interval is always too short). 

However after those 2 planes blew up (without killing me), then the rest of the planes blew up which I I was over the top of. I was 1100ft sea level which was 500ft AGL which is normally fine for Snakeeye. However the large explosion or secondary explosion of the rest of the planes sent a shockwave into my plane.

Are these planes all triggered to explode when hitting just some of them?

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

5 hours ago, SorelRo said:

They are full of ammo, so yes, there are secondaries. Did they kill you or just gave you a scare and blew some panels off? 

I had invulnerability turned on for that pass (the first time I survived that far lol) but my plane did shake, in the track replay external view I can see the shockwave heatblur effect did hit the plane and gave the screen shaking effect. Assuming this means they would have killed me.

For some reason when I read transports I was thinking "troop transports", but it does say in the briefing there will be secondary explosions. I think flying higher than 500ft the SAMs will definitely get me for sure though, so it's kind of extreme difficulty level.

Maybe the best way would have been adding some fuel tanks and spend some time picking off the SAMs before attacking the base, though I'd prefer if the SEAD guys did their job properly 🙂

32 minutes ago, DanDegen said:

Maybe the best way would have been adding some fuel tanks and spend some time picking off the SAMs before attacking the base, though I'd prefer if the SEAD guys did their job properly 🙂

If the AI would operate as intended and not switch the way they think every update DCS would be a very happy world, in the first tests on that mission. the explosion was delayed a little bit, but that didn't brought the effect needed. I wonder if something changed with the shockwave, I have a feeling ED is working on changing the way the bombs and explosions are working, so something might have been added to that effect. I'll try to test it and see if I can bring a bit more tweaking to that mission. 

My intention was to have a fast low pass that would take care of that airfield, so the player doesn't have to stick around in such a hot environment. 

Thanks for the feedback, there's always room for improvement. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 7:23 AM, SorelRo said:

If the AI would operate as intended and not switch the way they think every update DCS would be a very happy world, in the first tests on that mission. the explosion was delayed a little bit, but that didn't brought the effect needed. I wonder if something changed with the shockwave, I have a feeling ED is working on changing the way the bombs and explosions are working, so something might have been added to that effect. I'll try to test it and see if I can bring a bit more tweaking to that mission. 

My intention was to have a fast low pass that would take care of that airfield, so the player doesn't have to stick around in such a hot environment. 

Thanks for the feedback, there's always room for improvement. 

Yeah to be honest I released my snakeeyes a bit early hitting planes 1 & 2 (and maybe 3). If I released them in the middle of the planes instead of the start I probably would have cleared the blast area - and I could have been going faster but my usual profile is only 400 knots. The real bombing tables don't work in DCS due to drag or whatever differences so I just use a medium speed profile I tested on the bombing range.

The reason I couldn't go on the first pass was because SAMs & ZSU attack from left and right as soon as I popup for the LO-HI-LO attack and had to go defensive. Understand AI changing alot makes it hard for sure. I did notice they released 2 AGM missiles on the F10 map but unsure of their impact, the SAMs were still standing afterwards. Maybe there were more than 2 SAMs or maybe they just missed.

I'd say a good option would be to have a 2nd SEAD pass available (a backup flight of F4s loitering) to call in on the F10 menu if we detect SAMs still up on the RWR, then it's an optional difficulty helper as needed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...