3080 10GB vs 3090 24GB or OCULUS QUEST2 vs VALVE INDEX

Ericcaff

Good day to all,

Want ask for help or recommendation, I use for playing DCS PC VR Gigabyte 3080 10GB Overclock
Full system specs:
i7 12700K overclock 5Ghz + Gigabyte RTX3080 10GB OC + RAM32GB 4100Mhz + M.2SSD + Oculus Quest 2 with original Link Cable

Down below my game settings screenshoots, actually i can play with this settings almost normal, but in multiplayer some maps with more players i have big frame drops even empty areas like sand in Syria map. I saw some posts about DCS use a lot of VRAM, that why im start thinking maybe need change my GPU to RTX3090 24GB, but moste important question - Is it help me increse FPS and stable work, if it is just incres 3FPS that is nothing and i think it is just spend money, like everyone know now PC detail is it deficite and cost expensives like never that why question is REALY NEED CHANGE GPU TO 3090???
 Also read somewhere about DCS soon change engine to "VULKAN" did some one know is it help increse stability and when they plan release it?

Second question - if i leave my 3080 10GB, but will change my Quest 2 to Valve Index, is someone know DCS work better with Index than Quest 2, becasue Index is created special for PC VR Gaming, but Quest primary is Aadroid Mobile Games, PC VR is just a option and i think it is on still beta version. 
 Maybe GPU no need to much resurces work with Index and can make nice good quality Picture, LIKE Quest 2 need more reserses to make nice picture. I don't know that just think about that, and that why I ask about help with that maybe someone had experiance with that, becasue i don't want spend lot of money and results will be the same. 😞

nullimage.jpegimage.jpegnull

Edited by Ericcaff

i7 12700K overclock 5Ghz + MSi RTX4090 Ventus x3 24GB OC + G-Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 4000Mhz + Samsung M.2 + HP Reverb V2 + Logitech G X56

1 hour ago, Ericcaff said:

Is it help me increse FPS and stable work, if it is just incres 3FPS that is nothing

With 5GHz like me and 3080 u should run stable 45fps in Apache on Multiplayer, 60fps any other module, 90fps during freelook/lobby/menu. Just find the beauty (course) of tweaking, optimizing, benchmarking, compering, testing, more testing, more comearing.... its realy fun, and overwelming in first digging thru forums. But Im shure youre be ok. Im defenetly more than 2000h+ in air, and Im 100% sure same amount of time I spend "trying to run DCS with better FPS". 

Edited by TylerPL666

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

20 minutes ago, TylerPL666 said:

With 5GHz like me and 3080 u should run stable 45fps in Apache on Multiplayer, 60fps any other module, 90fps during freelook/lobby/menu. Just find the beauty (course) of tweaking, optimizing, benchmarking, compering, testing, more testing, more comearing.... its realy fun, and overwelming in first digging thru forums. But Im shure youre be ok. Im defenetly more than 2000h+ in air, and Im 100% sure same amount of time I spend "trying to run DCS with better FPS". 

Yee you right, but im already spent lot of time for testings, im want playnig flying, not configurate my system 😕 
Actaully im have around min 45FPS and more... but im playing with 
ASW i always disable, otherwise if it is on or force 45Hz i have stale FPS, but have object ghosting in Oculus Quest 2 😞
I see you use HP Reverb G2 V2, that why I think maybe Oculus Quest work not well for PC VR gaming! 😕 

i7 12700K overclock 5Ghz + MSi RTX4090 Ventus x3 24GB OC + G-Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB 4000Mhz + Samsung M.2 + HP Reverb V2 + Logitech G X56

An interesting question.

We know that the 3090 is a little faster in raw horsepower, but at least in my opinion, not enough to justify the cost.

The question is whether an additional 14GB of VRAM will actually make a genuine and substantial difference.  We know that DCS will "allocate" it.  Would love to see some comparisons.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

As above, you have plenty of horsepower to drive DCS, but there are so many variables and system configuration options that you need to find out what's holding it back.  You can simply throw money at it (a 3090 in this case) but if the bottleneck is because you haven't set your RAM to it's correct xmp profile (for example) then it's going to make zero difference.

Before you can start to make choices as to which direction to go hardware wise you need to know what the problem is.  Get some performance metrics that give you CPU and GPU frametimes for the VR renderer (fpsvr for steamvr, openxr toolkit for openxr etc.) and then that should give you some indication of what's going on.

Plenty of people use the quest2 for DCS, technically not quite as high resolution as the G2 but by all accounts there is very little difference between the two.  Unfortunately if you can't beat refresh rate of the headset then you're going to have to live with ASW and any artifacts it might produce or suffer from a stuttery display with certain head movements.

Using openxr with my G2 and 3070 I can either: -

Reduce resolution to 75% and set the headset to run at 60Hz, disable motion reprojection (ASW equivalent) and run medium settings.  I can achieve >60 fps 95% of the time which gives a perfectly smooth experience with no artifacts, the offset is that the reduced resolution causes slightly more aliasing.

Keep resolution at 100% and set the headset to run at 90Hz, enable motion reprojection and run high settings.  With openxr it sits at 45fps and is perfectly smooth, when GPU load gets too high it drops to 30fps and is perfectly smooth, the offset it that you occasionally get some artifacts.

DCS isn't war thunder, unfortunately there's too much going on to make it a plug and play VR experience but there's plenty of information, knowledge and experience on here to get it sorted 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

12 minutes ago, Ericcaff said:

Yee you right, but im already spent lot of time for testings, im want playnig flying, not configurate my system 😕 
Actaully im have around min 45FPS and more... but im playing with 
ASW i always disable, otherwise if it is on or force 45Hz i have stale FPS, but have object ghosting in Oculus Quest 2 😞
I see you use HP Reverb G2 V2, that why I think maybe Oculus Quest work not well for PC VR gaming! 😕 

With OC CPU make shure that your Power Supply Plan is set to high performance, cause on Balanced my CPU was running at 800-1000MHz. Easy to check in Task Manager:

image.png

VS

image.png

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

Just made video with multiplayer system monitoring, after flying around 50 minutes with stable 72FPS, than fly closer to ground objects FPS start jumping. GPU almost all time work on full 😞 Look like really GPU not enough.

CPU usage 15%

GPU usage 99% VRAM 99%

RAM uage 75%

Screenshot_20220516-205759_Video Player.jpg

Edited by Ericcaff

4 hours ago, TylerPL666 said:

With OC CPU make shure that your Power Supply Plan is set to high performance, cause on Balanced my CPU was running at 800-1000MHz. Easy to check in Task Manager:

Im have this on default, my system always on Max pawer plan and my CPU overclocked , but anyway CPU usage is about 20%, but GPU totally on Max.

5 hours ago, edmuss said:

As above, you have plenty of horsepower to drive DCS, but there are so many variables and system configuration options that you need to find out what's holding it back.  You can simply throw money at it (a 3090 in this case) but if the bottleneck is because you haven't set your RAM to it's correct xmp profile (for example) then it's going to make zero difference.

CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLANE WHAT IS XMP PROFILE?

Keep resolution at 100% and set the headset to run at 90Hz, enable motion reprojection and run high settings.  With openxr it sits at 45fps and is perfectly smooth, when GPU load gets too high it drops to 30fps and is perfectly smooth, the offset it that you occasionally get some artifacts.

ALSO PLEASE CAN YOU EXPLANE WHAT IS THAT openxr, HOW IT IS WORK AND HOW I SET IT AND CONFIGURATE FOR MY QUEST2?

Edited by Ericcaff

23 minutes ago, Ericcaff said:

The current ram speed will be shown on the performance/ram tab in task manager, alternatively install cpuz and that will tell you what is currently running at and what the spd profiles are (these are the same as the xmp).

There's a small thread on here about setting up openxr, it's primarily intended for WMR headsets but people with quest2 have used it and reported good improvements. It won't necessarily improve performance massively though.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

ED needs to provide native Open XR support. Does a pretty good job with MSFS 2020. Offer that along with TAA anti-aliasing would be very nice.

However I am sure it is not on their list of things to do at this time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

A few weeks ago I replaced my 3080Ti (12GB) for a 3090Ti (24GB) and found that running DCS on a 4K monitor the RTX 3090Ti only performs 10% more fps than the 3080Ti, but things change when we fly in VR, getting 150% extra performance. For some reason 3090Ti's 24GB of VRAM suits DCS VR just fine. This is a very aggressive and disproportionate test since everything is maxed out, but it makes the comparison even more impressive. This benchmark isn't about speed, its about DCS using a lot of VRAM.

Please, ignore the Avg FPS because it is the average of the whole VR session, main menu included. Look at the fps in real time to make the comparison. 3080Ti: 15 fps / 3090Ti: 39 fps

I have done other tests with more reasonable graphics options and the percentage difference 3080Ti Vs. 3090Ti is very similar.

I've also noticed that my fps no longer suddenly drops from 45fps to 10-15fps for a few minutes like it did with the 3080Ti, but stays stable throughout the VR session. Also my experience with the 3090Ti is much smoother and stutter-free, so I'm afraid at this point DCS VR requires 24GB of VRAM, at least with high resolution HMDs. Perhaps other users can confirm this.

Cheers!
Ismael

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ismaeljorda said:

A few weeks ago I replaced my 3080Ti (12GB) for a 3090Ti (24GB) and found that running DCS on a 4K monitor the RTX 3090Ti only performs 10% more fps than the 3080Ti, but things change when we fly in VR, getting 150% extra performance. For some reason 3090Ti's 24GB of VRAM suits DCS VR just fine. This is a very aggressive and disproportionate test since everything is maxed out, but it makes the comparison even more impressive. This benchmark isn't about speed, its about DCS using a lot of VRAM.

Please, ignore the Avg FPS because it is the average of the whole VR session, main menu included. Look at the fps in real time to make the comparison. 3080Ti: 15 fps / 3090Ti: 39 fps

I have done other tests with more reasonable graphics options and the percentage difference 3080Ti Vs. 3090Ti is very similar.

I've also noticed that my fps no longer suddenly drops from 45fps to 10-15fps for a few minutes like it did with the 3080Ti, but stays stable throughout the VR session. Also my experience with the 3090Ti is much smoother and stutter-free, so I'm afraid at this point DCS VR requires 24GB of VRAM, at least with high resolution HMDs. Perhaps other users can confirm this.

Thank you for your reply and opinion, but please tell me what VR device do you use, and in video comparing is it same PC with same VR headset just with different GPU?

hace 21 horas, Ericcaff dijo:

Thank you for your reply and opinion, but please tell me what VR device do you use, and in video comparing is it same PC with same VR headset just with different GPU?

That's right. Same PC with same VR headset (Varjo Aero @ 2932x2516 per eye which is 50% of total resolution) with different GPU 3080Ti (12GB) Vs. 3090Ti (24GB).
At the bottom of the video is the info.👇

vJU0S3w.jpg

First off, don't buy a 3090 now, in three months the 4000 series will be released and it should be a massive upgrade in performance over the 3000 series.

Secondly, a Valve Index will not work any better then the quest 2, and the quality is much worse, as it has a lower resolution.

Anyway, you say you're getting bad FPS, but you're not saying how bad. Give us a number. I have a 3090 and i get 35-40 FPS while on the ground with a Quest2 in multiplayer. In the air it gets a little better, usually staying above 50. That's just the reality of running VR on a 2008 game.

We'll probably get a big performance boost when we'll get the Vulkan update, but other then that we really can't do much to get more frames.

Thx all for any Info, yesterday get good deal change my Gigabyte RTX 3080OC 10GB to MSi RTX 3090 Vision x3 OC 24GB with some extra pay. 

Actually in non VR performance about +10%, in VR I think also about +10% in total I want say different not big, but 3090 have little bit more resource that's why also can work little bit better. But in totally if you have 3080 and you plan buy 3090 for full price, im not recommended that!!!

With my new MSi 3090 im again still in testing progress abaout best optimal settings.

IMG-20220520-WA0027.jpeg

Edited by Ericcaff

1 hour ago, Ericcaff said:

Thx all for any Info, yesterday get good deal change my Gigabyte RTX 3080OC 10GB to MSi RTX 3090 Vision x3 OC 24GB with some extra pay. 

Actually in non VR performance about +10%, in VR I think also about +10% in total I want say different not big, but 3090 have little bit more resource what why also can work little bit better. But in totally if you have 3080 and you plan buy 3090 for full price, im not recommended that!!!

With my new MSi 3090 im again still in testing progress abaout best optimal settings.

IMG-20220520-WA0027.jpeg

cool!  you'll love the VRAM! 😀

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Centinue testing, multiplayer mission in server around 15 players, almost all time work well on 72FPS just in some places where is lot of objects go down FPS to 35FPS, this is lowest what I saw.
CPU 15% : RAM 85% : GPU 90% : VRAM 90% (21GB used)
Game settings little bit increased:

image.jpeg

nullimage.jpeg

Screenshot_20220522-110707_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Ericcaff