Multiplayer help

swaps

Have joined a server a couple of times now but getting stuck as to how to identify an enemy and not shoot a friend ? as soon as I go into AA mode or Dogfight mode. I lose the awax screen and although I am scanning my radar does not seem to be picking up contacts I can see. I'm in and F-16 viper. Normally in the training missions I have the tags on so I know what to shoot at. I know this is cheating but I am still very new to this.

Thanks Alan

Edited by swaps

Hi , this is not BVR it is within 3 to 5 miles. Radar shows as scanning, nose is pointed directly at the targets to shoot but cannot shoot as I dont see if friend or foe. Having some other problems after new TV install but will try and get a track so it can be seen.

Thanks Alan

1 hour ago, swaps said:

Hi , this is not BVR it is within 3 to 5 miles. Radar shows as scanning, nose is pointed directly at the targets to shoot but cannot shoot as I dont see if friend or foe. Having some other problems after new TV install but will try and get a track so it can be seen.

Thanks Alan

Make sure you're using the right dogfight mode for the right situation in order to lock your target. Then you can use IFF to identify him.

Who's Alan and what did he do?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

Make sure you're using the right dogfight mode for the right situation in order to lock your target. Then you can use IFF to identify him.

Who's Alan and what did he do?

Im Alan, but I cannot IFF targets when the radar shows as scanning but nothing is showing on radar when they are 3 to 5 miles from my nose ! Locking the target it not a problem I can do that but with nothing showing on radar I dont know if friend or foe.

Thanks Alan

On 5/17/2022 at 9:13 PM, swaps said:

Im Alan, but I cannot IFF targets when the radar shows as scanning but nothing is showing on radar when they are 3 to 5 miles from my nose ! Locking the target it not a problem I can do that but with nothing showing on radar I dont know if friend or foe.

Thanks Alan

If you IFF and nothing appears it's a foe. If it's a friendly a green indication will appear.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

what I am saying is nothing is showing on the radar at all, no target. when flying around I have seen some targets which track as green so it seems to work for some things but its the helicopters that do not seem to show at all on radar even when they are at my nose and close enough to hit with guns.

Thanks Alan

1 hour ago, draconus said:

I am using this, I have not problem with using it or locking targets. The problem seems to be with helicopters not being seen on radar at all, no contact showing on the screen. I can lock them but cannot fire because they are unknow targets. Looking at the F10 map most of the time I am seeing that there are few or not bandit targets, I may be joining missions late. Planes seem to show on radar and show green but not helicopters. I will try and create a mission with just helicopters and see what happens then. Only been using serves for a few days for practice and have never seen a helicopter in training missions so have not idea if I have a problem there or just on this server.

Thanks Alan

7 minutes ago, swaps said:

I am using this, I have not problem with using it or locking targets. The problem seems to be with helicopters not being seen on radar at all, no contact showing on the screen. I can lock them but cannot fire because they are unknow targets. Looking at the F10 map most of the time I am seeing that there are few or not bandit targets, I may be joining missions late. Planes seem to show on radar and show green but not helicopters. I will try and create a mission with just helicopters and see what happens then. Only been using serves for a few days for practice and have never seen a helicopter in training missions so have not idea if I have a problem there or just on this server.

Thanks Alan

I don't really understand the issue. You say you can lock him up, so why don't you just perform an IFF check once you have him locked up? If he's friendly a green indication should appear. If he's not friendly nothing will appear.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:29 PM, swaps said:

but will try and get a track so it can be seen.

That would really help to understand the issue here.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, locking means focusing the whole radar power on the target, acquisition. Maybe you lock them with some Tpod? Are the helicopters airborne? At least screenshot or a video will make things clear.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

4 hours ago, draconus said:

Yeah, locking means focusing the whole radar power on the target, acquisition. Maybe you lock them with some Tpod? Are the helicopters airborne? At least screenshot or a video will make things clear.

Hi,

No pod, just radar  radar lock from 30 degree vertical scan, helicopters are airborne. I will see what I can sort out screen shot wise. on the server I have been using it takes me about 15 mins to find anything target wise. 

13 hours ago, swaps said:

Hi,

No pod, just radar  radar lock from 30 degree vertical scan, helicopters are airborne. I will see what I can sort out screen shot wise. on the server I have been using it takes me about 15 mins to find anything target wise. 

swaps. try this. When you first get into your viper, and before you take off, do a ground set up. (you can sort of do the same thing in the hornet) First push your AA button. did you lose your HSD? Okay, now push the OSB and put HSD onto one of the slots on one of your MFD's. Personally i like the middle on the right MFD. Pardon me, but it's been a bit since I did a lot of viper work, but I believe that by pushing right on the DMS switch you can cycle through the pages on your MFD. Like TGP, HAS, HAD, etc. Now go into dogfight mode and again put your HSD and such where you want it. Do the same for missile override. Personally I like to have my FCR on my left MFD, and my HSD and TGP on my right and I cycle between them as needed so I can VID targets. 

Now make sure you have Data link up on running. (Check the MIDS switch on your right, sort of under the pilots right arm area. It's the last switch on the right, top row in that section of switches.) 

Okay, now that you're all setup...oh, sorry, go ahead and program your steer points, you'll want those. and set your TACAN, ILS, and ILS course. Don't forget you CMS programs and turning on your RWR. You of course will want to adjust your radar settings to your personal preference for bars, tracks, rws, range, etc. By cycle your IFF IN/OUT you can change what information is displayed on your FCR. And when you have something on your FCR, either a data link contract or a track or target, I believe TMS right long will IFF. (Like I said, doing this from memory, and it's been a bit, so you'll want to check to make sure the controls I'm giving you are correct. oh, and updates... anyway)

Now when you're int he air, any time you switch mode you can DMS right (or left for the left MFD) to cycle pages. as it seems that losing you HSD was one of your bigger concerns if I read this whole post correctly? Set it up on the ground in ALL AA modes, then simply DMS cycles back or over to it. Same with TGP. 

I hope this helps you out. Good luck in the skies. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swaps said:

No pod, just radar  radar lock from 30 degree vertical scan, helicopters are airborne.

I can only repeat myself: If you have the target locked up just perform an IFF check and if it's friendly a green indicator will appear, if it's not friendly nothing will happen.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi @swaps

As @QuiGonsaid, once you have the lock do the TMS Left to IFF the target. Keep in mind that in ACM modes, the radar screen will show nothing until you lock onto something. I can't tell about hellos, I as can recall that particular situation, but they should behave like any other contact: if in DogFight mode, the FCR screen will be black until you select a ACM mode  and lock onto a visula target, then TMS Left to IFF.

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi @swaps

As @QuiGonsaid, once you have the lock do the TMS Left to IFF the target. Keep in mind that in ACM modes, the radar screen will show nothing until you lock onto something. I can't tell about hellos, I as can recall that particular situation, but they should behave like any other contact: if in DogFight mode, the FCR screen will be black until you select a ACM mode  and lock onto a visula target, then TMS Left to IFF.

Saludos.

Saca111

Very helpful, thanks. I was not aware the radar did not work in ACM modes and assumes as my IFF was on it should show automatically. I will try the TMS Left to IFF.

Thanks Alan

20 minutes ago, swaps said:

Very helpful, thanks. I was not aware the radar did not work in ACM modes

The radar does work in ACM modes. That's actually what the ACM modes are all about: To operate the radar in special modes dedicated to WVR fights.

and assumes as my IFF was on it should show automatically.

There is no automatic IFF in the Viper at all! Neither in ACM modes nor in normal radar modes. IFF is always manual in the Viper!
I have the suspicion, that you might confuse IFF with Data Link. Maybe that's the issue here? IFF and Data Link are totally different things in the Viper and have nothing to do with each other.

I will try the TMS Left to IFF.

That's the way to do it :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 hours ago, QuiGon said:

The radar does work in ACM modes. That's actually what the ACM modes are all about: To operate the radar in special modes dedicated to WVR fights.

There is no automatic IFF in the Viper at all! Neither in ACM modes nor in normal radar modes. IFF is always manual in the Viper!
I have the suspicion, that you might confuse IFF with Data Link. Maybe that's the issue here? IFF and Data Link are totally different things in the Viper and have nothing to do with each other.

That's the way to do it :thumbup:

Thanks, I was under the impression hitting the IFF button on the cockpit dash both sent out my IFF and and also IFF'ed targets on my radar. I'm still very new to this and the F-16 gives you a lot to learn!

Thanks Alan

Edited by swaps