Make NVG view in VR more like reality

gunterlund

If you use NVG's in VR they show the green hue in full screen. You cannot see around the goggle to look at the dash. Please make the NVG view similar to how it looks in normal view with the Green lense in the middle (or a good representation of their position on the head) and the ability to see around the goggle and into the dash. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Just chiming in to place my wish for ED to make NVGs in VR more realistic, or customizable, to get to the level 2D monitors get with the ability to see around the goggles.  This shouldn't rely on player modifications. 

In the meantime, I'll continue to mod my game every update, thanks to those players that have figured that out.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

In VR I can see around the goggles ok. Maybe a limitation of the FoV in your headset?

I can look down into the cockpit below the goggles, and around the sides to see outside no problem. 

Stalker_Signature.png

i9-11900K (Corsair water cooled); Z590; 64Gb Dominator 3466; Zotac Trinity OC RTX 4090; Soundblaster Z; Samsung 980 & 990 Pros; Pimax 8K X, 5K XR;

Winwing Orion 2 F/A-18 throttle, Winwing Orion 2 base with extension and F-15EX grip (from F/A-18 grip); Virpil Warbrd base (2x extensions) with TM Warthog grip, TM Warthog throttle; Ace-Flight Rudder Pedals, Control Panel #2; Simshaker Jetpad / HF8.

On 10/20/2022 at 9:07 AM, crispy12 said:

Check out Tacca NVG mod or 3dmigoto. You can resize it to whatever you want.

I have been using these for years.  However, it doesn't take away from the fact that I believe this customization should be a setting in the core game.

12 hours ago, Simultaneous said:

In VR I can see around the goggles ok. Maybe a limitation of the FoV in your headset?

This also shows why individual customization is required; there are numerous HMDs out there, it can't be a one-size-fits-all setting. 

Edited by Britchot
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

On 10/25/2022 at 2:10 PM, Britchot said:

I have been using these for years.  However, it doesn't take away from the fact that I believe this customization should be a setting in the core game.

This also shows why individual customization is required; there are numerous HMDs out there, it can't be a one-size-fits-all setting. 

Yes agreed but I can see the challenge for programming if the goggles have a FoV that is the same or larger than some VR HMDs. I'm just suggesting this may be the cause as it works ok for me - ie the world is rendered outside the goggles. Perhaps allowing tuning of the NVG would help but then might make the NVGs themselves a bit narrow.

Stalker_Signature.png

i9-11900K (Corsair water cooled); Z590; 64Gb Dominator 3466; Zotac Trinity OC RTX 4090; Soundblaster Z; Samsung 980 & 990 Pros; Pimax 8K X, 5K XR;

Winwing Orion 2 F/A-18 throttle, Winwing Orion 2 base with extension and F-15EX grip (from F/A-18 grip); Virpil Warbrd base (2x extensions) with TM Warthog grip, TM Warthog throttle; Ace-Flight Rudder Pedals, Control Panel #2; Simshaker Jetpad / HF8.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 2:21 AM, Simultaneous said:

I can look down into the cockpit below the goggles, and around the sides to see outside no problem. 

Can you share a screenshot from VR?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 5/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, gunterlund said:

If you use NVG's in VR they show the green hue in full screen. You cannot see around the goggle to look at the dash. Please make the NVG view similar to how it looks in normal view with the Green lense in the middle (or a good representation of their position on the head) and the ability to see around the goggle and into the dash. 

Actually in VR the NVG behave like they should in real life. You don't get to see peripherals (BTW, remember that with NVG you've got bright green light in your eyes. It makes it very hard to see outside the scope... not to mention it takes a few seconds after you took them off for your eyes to get used to the darkness again). 

What would be nice is the ability to change focus via keybind. In real googles you've got a focus dial that you can play with so you could see things close to you. During a flight you might want to play with it if the situation ain't "hot" to see things in the cockpit with out taking the NVG off.

Edited by nickos86

2 hours ago, nickos86 said:

Actually in VR the NVG behave like they should in real life. You don't get to see peripherals (BTW, remember that with NVG you've got bright green light in your eyes. It makes it very hard to see outside the scope... not to mention it takes a few seconds after you took them off for your eyes to get used to the darkness again). 

What would be nice is the ability to change focus via keybind. In real googles you've got a focus dial that you can play with so you could see things close to you. During a flight you might want to play with it if the situation ain't "hot" to see things in the cockpit with out taking the NVG off.

I'm not sure what your reference is based on but a public video by C.W. Lemoine contradicts every bit of your statement.  At 7:46, specifically.  

By limiting the NVG's field of view to a "soda straw" in the VR HMD, it will allow us to look under the green image to read the cockpit instruments, like Simultaneous' Pimax 8k or anyone on a monitor.  The mods that have been referenced above all do this, and it's usable, it is something that should be in the base game. 

Edited by Britchot
Added all of nickos86's statement.
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

14 minutes ago, Britchot said:

I'm not sure what your reference is based on but a public video by C.W. Lemoine contradicts every bit of your statement.  At 7:46, specifically.  

By limiting the NVG's field of view to a "soda straw" in the VR HMD, it will allow us to look under the green image to read the cockpit instruments, like Simultaneous' Pimax 8k or anyone on a monitor.  The mods that have been referenced above all do this, and it's usable, it is something that should be in the base game. 

My referenced based on conversations with non-US military pilots and personal NVG usage (not in planes... rather in a Humvee, APCs and tanks). 

I don't disregard what he said. It is possible but inconvenient (at least from personal use) and the FOV "ain't great" like when you fly on a 2D screen... It feel much closer to the "full screen" experience of VR 

I would like realistic implementation with a real fov for NVG. In 2d it doesn't make any sense as the green circle view is fixed against screen size and changing the fov only changes what gets in the circle.

This is screenshot from my Oculus Rift S but I cannot see the circle edges in HMD. Afaik NVGs are usualy around 45 degrees fov, not over 90.

Screen_221102_232149.jpg

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 7 months later...

Bump. All of the mods I'm aware of that allow seeing under NVG in VR now break IC for multiplayer.

Looking under the goggles is 100% the correct procedure (despite some opinions here). Would love to have this as a baked in option.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2