Rudder authority

I'm trying to spend a bit of time in the Farmer on Cold war server. I want to like the plane but the lack of rudder authority at typical fighting speeds really makes it hard to aim those cannons. The rudder works fine at low speeds but once I am high sub sonic where I need to be to fight I can barely aim.

So is this because the rudder has no hydraulic booster like the ailerons do. I assume that's what happening. Anyone know of real life sources saying the rudder is that bad? Am I doing something wrong? Did I forget to press the switch that makes the rudder work? 

Did the Russians pilots do leg press for training? 

I'm aiming with my eyes only. I haven't worked out the radar ranging. My shooting is generally quite good in most planes. But I tend too like flying with rudder rolls at high alpha.  Flying a plane where I can't to that means I gotta learn to aileron roll to shoot I guess.  

It is normal for the rudder to practically  lock up at high speed in the mig 19 isn't it? 

At a glance it looks to me like the gearing system is kicking in and limiting rudder authority, in the same way as elevator authority is limited as speed goes up. Whether the gearing behavior is correct or not, who knows.

Edited by TLTeo

Gee I hadn't even considered that possibility that it is deliberately limited. I assume that kind of limiting is usually in elevator but I don't know that with any certainty.  

I did some practice offline against an AI F-5E and I see that in a typical manoeuvring fight I am often slowed down enough that the rudder isn't totally locked up the way it is when flying straight at top speed.  So it's not as bad as I thought in practice.  Still it is hard to aim the gun at high speed. 

• 4 weeks later...

The rudder is unboosted and was known to be extremely heavy on control forces, to the point of being almost useless at fighting speeds. The 21 was a similar story and lack of rudder authority (or rather inability to deflect it sufficiently) is mentioned in the flight manual.

There's no gearing system/ARU equivalent/additional channel limiting the rudder, it's just that you're trying to get a quite large surface moving against very high speed airflow, and the 19's incredibly fat tail probably just makes the matter even worse.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Learn to aileron roll (aka, pull in the same plane-of-motion as the bandit). Modern fighters won't let you use the rudders, either (well... depends, but it isn't really the correct technique).

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."