The new hold mode.

macedk

On 5/20/2022 at 2:37 AM, N.A.S.H. said:

Press and hold trim (FTR )button for 3 seconds to re-center SAS if you have SAS saturated msg.

When I do that the helo goes crazy all over the place. Very odd

19 hours ago, Floyd1212 said:

That is because the SAS computers aren't helping you keep the helo stable for the duration you are pressing the FTR button.

So how would I know what duration I should hold it and why does that make it go completly crazy out of control? I've read 3 seconds

If you have the Controls Indicator (RCTRL+ENTER) up at the top-left of the screen, you will see the green marks show the inputs the SAS is inducing on the controls to try to assist the flight of the aircraft.  As you hold the FTR button, you will see these green marks settle and alight with the white marks (your control inputs), which is usually about 3 seconds.

Hey All,

This is an excellent improvement to the AH-64D! 

I now see the reasoning and wisdom behind Central Position Trim mode, that now works way better than beyond my belief that it ever once would.

It is now very easy and bumpless to go into a IGE or a OGE hover.  My formula is first bring it to a hover, while holding the controls I enable Hover Mode and let it settle out.  Then activate Force Trim and release the controls.  It works very nice.

Spot landings got way easier.  No more porpoising on my way in trying to control speed and altitude that seem to always fight each other.  I just engage Velocity Mode at 7 knots.  Again holding the controls, I activate Force Trim after things settle out.  After releasing the controls briefly, now I only have to control the altitude with the collective and steering to make really nice landings.  I turn off Velocity Mode just prior to touch down.

With these improvements I am controlling the aircraft much better vice always managing the PIO, mostly initiated by collective  / power changes, which gets fairly tiring after a period of time.

Caldera

1 hour ago, Floyd1212 said:

If you have the Controls Indicator (RCTRL+ENTER) up at the top-left of the screen, you will see the green marks show the inputs the SAS is inducing on the controls to try to assist the flight of the aircraft.  As you hold the FTR button, you will see these green marks settle and alight with the white marks (your control inputs), which is usually about 3 seconds.

I've never actually watched them when I press trim for 3 seconds so I'll watch next time.

I assume I need to let go once they are aligned?