AH-64D - Controls gone whacky since OpenBeta 2.7.14.23966

Hi All,

Was not sure whether to put this here or controllers. I had my AH-64D dialled in, to a certain degree, to such a point, that when the IHADSS Cross was on the dashed line, I was neither speeding up, nor slowing down

However, since today's update to OB, Cyclic and rudder have gone whacky. The Axis tune appears to have the same setup as pre update, but it just does not feel the same. When I say whacky, the Cyclic is now al over the place when trying to maintain speed, attitude hold is no where near as stable and controllable as it was. I am unable to keep at attitude anywhere near the dashed line on the IHADSS. The rudder is also over-working, in that everything seems amplified massively 

Is it just me?

Toni

Edited by Toni Carrera
added whacky information
  • Like 3

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

Only thing I found maybe a little more difficult was the transitioning from forward flight to hover. Fell out of the sky like 4 times first time I tried after today's update, then I got adjusted to it and did it ok. Got to really watch that altitude increase/decrease and not let it get out of whack. Too heavy on the decrease and it is game over.  ATT for maintaining that hover once you have it there is your friend, works beautifully.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My cyclic and rudder felt really sensitive playing yesterday, even after having them pretty dialed in from before (curves, saturation, etc.), but I've been playing a lot of the Blackshark the past couple weeks and thought it might be because of that. 

didn't seem like a diff for me.  I managed to take out a T-90, a T-80, and 3x T-72's.  Though I had to duck behind buildings, or drop slightly below the treeline a few times.  Doggone "Missile Forward, Missile Forward..."  via Betty...  😀

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

OK, well I guess it is just me then

No need for anyone else to answer, and I thank those who have

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

I'm also finding it generally harder to control since the update. My particular issue is roll. Roll seems twitchy in forward flight and changes in collective induce a whole lot of roll when near a hover. At least that's my perception. I could barely control it before but the initial release "felt" a lot more stable than it has for the last 2 patches.

Edited by Roosterfeet

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

I agree, without really trying, I have done several 360 rolls when pulling hard evasive maneuverers in forward flight

Toni  

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

Noticed some weirdness as well. Took a hot start on ramp, taxied to the runway with 23% TRQ, easy peasy cider squeezy. Then I gradually increased collective for a two stage pick up, had to kick quite some left boot to counter the nose right rotation, kinda as expected, jsut felt like I'd need more boot than usual and then, out of a sudden, I found myself lying 45° tilted to the right, rotor blades cracked when I was at somewhere around 32% TRQ with the PERF page telling me 59% was required for liftoff. No wind in my testing mission and I had the controls frame displayed, 120% certain my controls didn't act up (like spiking to one direction suddenly). Never ever saw such weird things happen before, I was outright baffled. On the next try, I could take off without too much hassle, but I noticed when trying the ATT Hold in hover, that even the ever so slightest change in anti-torque would either drop or raise me by an amount of several 100 ft per minute (I know that's because the tail rotor draws the power from the main shaft and changing it requires subsequent change in collective), much more than in other helos, almost putting me into VRS a few times while just trying to hold my heading. The 64 is extremely sensitive and it almost feels as if she's become even more so with the latest update.

Sadly I couldn't take a track because the friggen WMR software died shortly thereafter. If only MS could get their ship together at some point... they're in a constant VRS ever since Bill Gates isn't in the top chair anymore, starting with the abandoning of the Sidewinder product line.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Thanks @Eldur

That was a very interesting read of your experience(s). I might have to see if I can find a different thread where ED Dev team might get to see this as a report, or however it works to make them aware of 'some' people's issues, post latest update to OpenBeta

Thanks

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

Me to! It is as if I have reset all axis tunings, but they are the same. Just now, after I've landed, the collective did not seem to go to zero, and I tilted after I set it to zero. The handbrake would not engage, as it just went back to off immediately after pressing it. Before I tilted, I had to hold the pedal brakes to avoid taxiing with all axis to zero.
In forward flight it is like sitting in a rocking chair.

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Again, interesting @Moxica

How do I get this to the attention of ED?

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

Just now, Toni Carrera said:

Again, interesting @Moxica

How do I get this to the attention of ED?

Toni

I don't know. Maybe move this thread to "Bugs  and problems"?

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

@MoxicaYou are probably right that it should be there

Do you know how to do that?

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

54 minutes ago, Toni Carrera said:

@MoxicaYou are probably right that it should be there

Do you know how to do that?

Toni

No. Sorry.
I've tried two missions in beta and stable. The AH 64 beta is broken. No doubt.
I fell right out of the sky in a 50 knot turn in "Dawn express" And it is flying like a Yoyo.
Not in  stable version, though.
Same with the Taxi/hover training.

Edited by Moxica

I have contacted Support regarding this in the hope that they will move this thread as well as take note of the issues people have mentioned within here

Obviously I will let you know if I learn anything relevant

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

Did more flying tonight and transitioning to hover from flight I was all over the place. The att hold is practically useless and beeping all the time. Felt more like a boat on the ocean rocking from side to side all the time even at 130knts. It was more manageable pre update. Ok it’s probably my flying but I’ve had the Apache from day one and it just feels different now.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

I hadn't really thought about the update, I just thought my flying was getting even worse!

It seems to rock from side to side a lot more even at speed. Plus I did my first inadvertent roll over turning at low speed, that gave me quite a shock, especially so in VR!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Hi All,

Although I feel for you in that you are having issues as well, I am glad that it isn't just mw who thought that my abilities had suddenly gotten a lot worse

Hopefully they will see my Support case about this thread and maybe get a response from them

Toni

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

@BIGNEWY What is your opinion on this subject ?

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

• ED Team
9 minutes ago, clanitho said:

@BIGNEWY What is your opinion on this subject ?

Not noticed any problem on my machine. 

Try going into special options for the AH-64D and reselecting your trim options see if it helps. Also check for the usual double axis binds. 

Other than that I am not sure why you would be seeing any difference. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi @BIGNEWY

I thank you for your suggestions. I have removed all of the Axis mapping, exited the Sim. I have then relogged in and manually reapplied all the axis, with all the curvatures and saturations

Went in to a clean ED Hot Start and I only went up to about 75 knots, and the thing was just all over the place. All the Axis were performing their assigned functions, but the Apache was just all over the place, it was just like everything was all over the place

I went straight to Stable version, confirmed same controls axis setup, curves and Sats etc, same mission, but obviously in Stable, and she behaved exactly how she has been

I hate to say it, but certainly for me, there is something clearly wrong. Perhaps it is connected to the Change log Entry

• Improved Velocity Attitude ude Hold mode (between 6 and 40 kts).

That is what I am thinking anyway

Toni

• Like 3

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

I know its a beta so expect changes but I have to agree, before patch I had got my flying stable and reliable. Transitioning to hover etc all good.  Since, I almost feel like giving up. Something changed dramatically for me, I'm hoping I figure out what.  ATT HOLD is fussy now and keeps cancelling when it was more forgiving before.  As I've said elsewhere I had to find out how to mod the sound as saturation is happening so much, often without any text message and for no good reason apparently.

With the previous patch ATT HOLD may not have got to perfect hover but it was stabilising my hovers and landings very nicely. It used to put me into a kind of easy mode for low level, landing and hover. Now it can sometimes get a more perfect 0 speed hover but the rest of the time its a nightmare.

General flying is really edgy. It's just my experience but it sounds similar to the OP.  I was comfortable and progressing into confident flying in missions now I'm back trying to learn how to control the heli.

Before finding this thread I had done what @BIGNEWY suggested, reselect trim options etc. I just don't know whats up but clearly something as its like I've forgotten how to fly it over night and am double checking my axis tune but they say the same as they did before.

@GrEaSeLiTeNiNis almost word for word what I'm experiencing.

Edited by mbits
  • Like 2