How to practice?

ldl01031

I spent a fair amount of time with Falcon 4.0... more than 20 years ago. So, I'm not 100% dumb, just close. I'm just trying to master landings again right now. 

What kind of "training program" should I follow? I want to keep my momentum up (I just bought a Pimax 8KX and a new PC!). The built-in DCS training is too tedious for me, at least right now.

Suggestions?

Watch videos on YouTube. For example here. 

What was particularly interesting for me in landing the F-16 was holding the pitch of 10°-12° degrees after touching the ground to brake the body of the aircraft.

• Thanks 1

GreyCat_SPb

Google Korean F-16 basic employment manual. Go through it cover to cover and make yourself missions in the editor that allow you to train to each section in the manual. And find friends to do this with, since so much of flying tactical aircraft is about the arrangement of your aircraft and the management of weapons and sensors across multiple jets in a team effort.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

It all depends on what you want to do. Even real pilots don't learn everything equally or completely. There is a mission they want to accomplish. This mission has requires certain tasks. Those tasks are supported by certain actions. Each action is supported by systems or procedure knowledge. Like a chain every detail you learn is in support of a higher level concept.

For example you want to do a long range strike. That might require knowing weapon selection, fuel planning, GM radar, air refueling, etc. Take one task: air refueling. To do that you should know formation flying, radio communication, fuel system management. To manage fuel you might learn what are the tanks, pressurization, and lastly where the fuel door switch is and when to open it.

So you know what and where the fuel door switch is in support of fuel system knowledge in support of air refueling in support of flying a long strike mission.

• Thanks 1

For me personally who is rather dim and easily confused by anything more complex than a zipper. 

I found watching grim reapers vidoes then making my own missions in the editor where I just do that one thing. 

I did a trilogy over Cyprus. 

First ripple bombing.

Then using GBUs like I do here.

And one where I used AGM88s and CBU95s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Active pause, infinite ammo, external views, invincibility and making very simply air start custom missions in the editor are very good for practice purposes. Real pilots have to spend hours and hours each time they fly out to the bombing range just for those one or two attempts. Sim pilots don't.

• Like 2

Real pilots also get time in the sim to practice those scenarios without the long trip to the range, or expanding expensive munitions and fuel, for that matter. While you can't replace live ordnance training completely, you can figure out all the switchology and get the procedures into your muscle memory while in the sim, so by the time you drop for real you already know how. If you're going to range with only two bombs, you have to make damn sure you get the most out of each of them.

• Thanks 1

All good advice. I've been working with YouTube videos (and I found out about using the wings to brake there as well - this jet needs better brakes!). The Korean F-16 basic employment manual looks like it will keep me busy for a long time.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 4:55 PM, Frederf said:

Active pause, infinite ammo, external views, invincibility and making very simply air start custom missions in the editor are very good for practice purposes. Real pilots have to spend hours and hours each time they fly out to the bombing range just for those one or two attempts. Sim pilots don't.

I agree, but I personally train from the startup to land every single time I want to practice any kind of attack, refueling or wathever. This way you learn how to do basic things like radio communications (I play with other people), exit procedures, traffic circuits / overheads and landings, all at once.
I just did LOTS of landings with variable weathers just practicing AG attacks.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:28 PM, ldl01031 said:

All good advice. I've been working with YouTube videos (and I found out about using the wings to brake there as well - this jet needs better brakes!). The Korean F-16 basic employment manual looks like it will keep me busy for a long time.

It brakes ok, it needs better wings. The landing speed is higher than other jets.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:09 PM, Gunfreak said:

.... easily confused by anything more complex than a zipper. 

LMAO! i am keeping this one in memory.

learn to be a pilot then a warrior. one needs be able to get in the air, to the target, shack, and then back safe.

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

31 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

many guitars teachers will make you start the song from start each time and make you start over with each mistake

This is exactly the wrong way to practice with any instrument. You need to address the mistake in as focused a way as possible, then go back and incorporate it into the whole.

• Like 2

@silverdevil I could have phrased that better, I'm sorry if I came off the wrong way. I'm an ex-professional symphony violinist, so I have a lifetime of instrument practice experience, and my eyes opened at the original reference to the guitar.

However, perhaps I can contribute something here. I don't see a fundamental difference in learning anything difficult, whether it's an instrument or a full fidelity DCS module. I think the same method applies here. The sim gives you a great opportunity to isolate and work through the problem. I believe the most efficient use of time is to have a 'practice' session on a specific feature for a short time, then have a full flight with what is learned.

• Like 5

On 5/19/2022 at 1:34 PM, ldl01031 said:

I'm just trying to master landings again right now

Simple trick:

gear down below 300 knots,

extend air brake (yes, F-16 land with air brake extended),

align your flight path marker with start of the runway and the -2.5 dotted line on hud (which will only show up once gear is down),

control your throttle to achieve the optimal AOA by keeping an eye on the AOA indicator on the left side of your HUD frame (in shorts words, maintain the green meatball),

flare before touchdown.

after rear wheel touchdown, hold the stick to aerobrake by maintaining the green meatball,

then nose down about 90-100 knots,

wheel brake, air brake fully extend (F-16's air brake will only fully extend after front wheel is down).