My feedback about Jester(0519/2022)

a1133620002

Hi I have been flying the Tomcat for a while, good work! HB team! 

I got some feedback here about Jester that I am wondering if these are possible to be improved:

1. Can Jester stop the call out when enamy aircraft is destroyed? It's ruining the immersion pretty badly when you shot down an airplane and Jester is still telling you the bandit is to your 6'o clock, hot. 

2. Can Jester help with your speed and alititue reading or even guide you to fly the marshal deck when you are flying aircraft ops?

3. Is it possible to set a "Next launch"button in the Jester menu in case you want to fire multiple AIM54A/C msls at the same target.

4. The last one is the one I care the most - the jester menu wheel is blocking your view pretty badly, if you are considering some FPS game's tactical  order wheel like Squad, it's a lot smaller that you can still maingtain your situational awareness.  I guess you can add a function to let user to adjust the transparency or size of the wheel?

Thanks! 

Rice cooker

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, a1133620002 said:

I guess you can add a function to let user to adjust the transparency or size of the wheel?

Already possible by editing some lua's. Or use Voice Attack which disables the Jester menu completely.

1. +1, already reported

2. Why? For training purposes?

3. already wished for but Jester is about to be redone a bit they say

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Yeah I was also using voice attack but somehow when the menu is fully disable, only using the voice attack becomes very difficult to me that you have to spend lots of time to set things up, and sometimes it's difficult for foreign English speaker like me.

1. good to know that!

2. Yeah maybe for training purposes but also when I was listening to some Tomcat pilots' poscast, I found out that the Rio can be really helpful for almost everything by just talking, they will try to unload as much work as possible from the pilots. Maybe just simply do the automatic ATC call out and report is already good!

3.Got it.

Sorry I am new to this forum so I didn't know that so many topics are mentioned before.

2 hours ago, a1133620002 said:

Hi I have been flying the Tomcat for a while, good work! HB team! 

I got some feedback here about Jester that I am wondering if these are possible to be improved:

1. Can Jester stop the call out when enamy aircraft is destroyed? It's ruining the immersion pretty badly when you shot down an airplane and Jester is still telling you the bandit is to your 6'o clock, hot. 

2. Can Jester help with your speed and alititue reading or even guide you to fly the marshal deck when you are flying aircraft ops?

3. Is it possible to set a "Next launch"button in the Jester menu in case you want to fire multiple AIM54A/C msls at the same target.

4. The last one is the one I care the most - the jester menu wheel is blocking your view pretty badly, if you are considering some FPS game's tactical  order wheel like Squad, it's a lot smaller that you can still maingtain your situational awareness.  I guess you can add a function to let user to adjust the transparency or size of the wheel?

Thanks! 

Rice cooker

Welcome and thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated!

I can reply to some of your points already:

@1: This is difficult, because there is a state where an aircraft in DCS is considered alive, damaged and dead, to simplify it. The "dead" often comes only after complete explosion or impact with the ground. So if you kill a bandit high, just by the fact that he is burning, Jester cannot tell that the bandit is dead. Note how the splash call is independent from that, because the missile or bullets, etc hitting an aircraft can be told by Jester. Unfortunately we cannot make this a condition though, because a hit does not imply that the bandit is necessarily dead. So, I will carefully say that this is a DCS limitation we'll have to live with until we find a better way maybe altogether. But I completely agree that it is annoying.

@2: Some time down the road we plan on expanding Jester with checklists, readouts, etc, some very small stuff like that is in there already, like reading the altitude on landbased runways, etc. But we do plan on expanding here, once time allows.

@3: This unfortunately is not possible. The next launch button does not skip through priorities, as it is often falsly assumed. It in fact sets the hooked target as the new priority one target. So a next launch button will do nothing for the crew, unless a logic to hook a specific target is implemented. This we are looking into as well along the Jester overhaul.

@4: Maybe we can add some extra options in the future for this, in the meantime you can change it as suggested in the posts above.

Thanks again for your feedback!

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I would like to add a request that has just come up recently.

Can we have Jester NOT switch us out of LANTIRN to the AXX-1 when hostile air is nearby?  It didn't used to happen before, but I've noticed lately that it does.  Just yesterday I was in hot with only 5 seconds left to drop the bomb and a bandit who was not close enough to be an immediate threat came around and Jester immediately switched the LANTIRN to the AXX-1 and trashed my drop.  I dropped anyway and luckily the bomb still shacked the target, but it could have been worse and it has been.  Sometimes, as the pilot, you are willing to take that extra second or two to make the drop and ignore the bandit until you've finished your run, but this Jester behavior doesn't allow for that.

Thanks,

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 7:25 PM, IronMike said:

Welcome and thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated!

I can reply to some of your points already:

@1: This is difficult, because there is a state where an aircraft in DCS is considered alive, damaged and dead, to simplify it. The "dead" often comes only after complete explosion or impact with the ground. So if you kill a bandit high, just by the fact that he is burning, Jester cannot tell that the bandit is dead. Note how the splash call is independent from that, because the missile or bullets, etc hitting an aircraft can be told by Jester. Unfortunately we cannot make this a condition though, because a hit does not imply that the bandit is necessarily dead. So, I will carefully say that this is a DCS limitation we'll have to live with until we find a better way maybe altogether. But I completely agree that it is annoying.

@2: Some time down the road we plan on expanding Jester with checklists, readouts, etc, some very small stuff like that is in there already, like reading the altitude on landbased runways, etc. But we do plan on expanding here, once time allows.

@3: This unfortunately is not possible. The next launch button does not skip through priorities, as it is often falsly assumed. It in fact sets the hooked target as the new priority one target. So a next launch button will do nothing for the crew, unless a logic to hook a specific target is implemented. This we are looking into as well along the Jester overhaul.

@4: Maybe we can add some extra options in the future for this, in the meantime you can change it as suggested in the posts above.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Thanks for clearing my question! One additional thought just came today, if the jester can make the gimbal call for the pilot, it will be awesome!

Can't wait for the Tomcat to be even better!

On 5/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, IronMike said:

So, I will carefully say that this is a DCS limitation we'll have to live with until we find a better way maybe altogether. 

The new damage model is coming eventually, when it does, see if you can check for the aircraft being on fire. This is usually indicative of it being no longer a threat, even if it does manage to extinguish it.

However, there's another, perhaps more solvable problem: some time ago he was calling out ejected pilots, because the sim considers them aircraft internally, it seems. That, I think, is unnecessary and could easily be done away with by the way of a type check. Maybe this was fixed, haven't flown the Tomcat yet in this update, but it was definitely present before.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another thing I keep meaning to mention is Jester's inaccurate clock code calls. The only time he calls the bandit in a correct position is if I'm straight and level, otherwise, his calls are lagged and I look where he tells me to and the bandit is already elsewhere, and not just because he flew elsewhere quickly.  He just gets so lagged and makes his calls in chronological order it seems.  I'll hear about a missed missile long after it had already missed, for example.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot