New BVR AI: planes don't seem to take into account the missile battery duration for long range shots.

Some planes with very good high altitude performance, like the F-15, can launch an AMRAAM at very long distances. However they don't seem to take into account the range limitation due to missile battery duration. That leads the F-15 to sometimes fire its 1st missile from too far, wasting it, and cranking and dropping altitude too soon. That makes for situations like the F-15C almost always losing a BVR fight against a MiG-29S, despite having a superior missile.

bug_BVR_AI_AMRAAM_battery.trk bug_BVR_AI_AMRAAM_battery_2.trk

So...what is the battery duration of the AIM-120C?

EDIT: I just took a MiG-29 flight in your mission 2 and at no point did either AIM-120 go active. Not during the first max range launch, nor during the 2nd 20 km launch. Both missiles remained silent and missed. So I'm thinking the mission itself might be bugged for some reason. In some flights of my own making earlier this morning, every F-15C AIM-120 went active.

EDIT 2: A TRK from a flight this morning. The AIM-120C continued maneuvering for 124 seconds more or less. So, if the battery life is modeled at all, it is modeled as much longer than you were thinking. Either that or this is yet another AIM-120 bug.

New AI BVR 03.trk

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.