I think Black Shark broke my computer...

VikVaughan

I installed BS not too long ago, and some strange things have been happening since. At first I gave it the benefit of a doubt and assumed it was an isolated issue, but my mind is starting to change.

My computer (fairly new install of Vista Home Premium 32 bit on a couple month old machine) was functioning without problem until a day after installing BS. I got a random blue screen/fatal error (was not in the program at the time). The computer then restarted its self, asked me if I wanted to use safe mode when it was booting back up, etc etc. Then, it happened again the next morning - I didn't see it this time, but my computer (which I normally leave on) had lost everything that was open and was at the login screen as if it had restarted. Several applications reported an unexpected shutdown when I reopened them. This has happened about 5 times now, usually while the computer is idle (screen off, but not it standby).

Any ideas? I'd hate to have to wipe the OS..

ASUS G74, Core i7-2670QM, 12GB DDR3, Geforce GTX 560M 3GB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

VV

...and moved into the forum where nobody will ever see it or respond.

ASUS G74, Core i7-2670QM, 12GB DDR3, Geforce GTX 560M 3GB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

VV

Guest Line-dog

BSOD Hell

I can't say what is causing your BSODs (Blue Screen of Death) but I can give you some links that can help you get to the bottom of it. It will take you a little work but I think it is time well spent. If you don't find out the real cause of those BSODs you might reinstall Windows only to have them come back . . . even if you don't install Black Shark a second time. The cause can be drivers, bad memory, and many more things that have nothing to do with Black Shark. Try these links.

Troubleshooting Windows Blue Screen Of Death errors...

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

Good luck. Sorry its happening to you because they suck.

:doh:

Not the same problem but I have 2 x Nvidea 9600 overclocked cards in my 2 year old machine and since I installed BS it had been doing some strange things, shutting down, programme fails etc etc. On advice I replaced my 400W PSU to give me 700W output and the problems appear to have gone.

Check your card spec and see if your PSU is up to the job. Might be that simple.

Look up starforce issues from google. BSODs usually result from driver issues, and installing black shark will also install starforce, wich means additional drivers...

I havent had any issues, but theres lots of other who have had!

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

A lot of people think some program "broke their computer" but in reality, the problem was usually there before the game was ever installed. A prime example is when the Hard Disk has bad sectors that have never been used before....then along comes a large program install utilizing those bad sectors....and BAM your computer acts funny after you installed that program so you blame that program.

VV, I really think you probably had the problem before you installed this game and just didn't realize it because that "broken part" of your computer hasn't been used until now. My theory is that you had a dying hard disk to begin with.

Well Grodin, there is no driver installation on the download versions.

Vik, which BS version did you bought?

Hi Groove,

I should take back my statement about not getting any feedback in here, thanks. I bought the English DL version. I will try and record the crash details next time and hopefully that will help out.

VV

...My theory is that you had a dying hard disk to begin with.

Agree on this one, i've had random blue screens coming out of nowhere 3 times within last 10 years, every time this was caused by old/damaged HD.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Agree on this one, i've had random blue screens coming out of nowhere 3 times within last 10 years, every time this was caused by old/damaged HD.

It's always possible, I hope not though. I just got this thing 4 months ago.

Is this of any use? Probably not.

----------------------------------------------------

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 1000008e

BCP1: C0000005

BCP2: 8E020C9F

BCP3: 9A936460

BCP4: 00000000

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122508-01.dmp

C:\Users\Mr Hoppy\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-6029922-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\Mr Hoppy\AppData\Local\Temp\WER889.tmp.version.txt

VV

doing a google search, it appears that someone had the same problem - seemed it was linked to an ATI driver, re-installation of the ATI drivers fixed it for them. i'd give that a try, 8.12 i think is the latest.

usually in a bluescreen it gives the module it died on.. that would help track down the problem issue

doing a google search, it appears that someone had the same problem - seemed it was linked to an ATI driver, re-installation of the ATI drivers fixed it for them. i'd give that a try, 8.12 i think is the latest.

usually in a bluescreen it gives the module it died on.. that would help track down the problem issue

Sweet, I think that may be it. I recently installed ATI Tray Tools to quickly switch profiles. I tried removing it, and then attempting to reinstall the card's drivers (v8.12) and ATI's CCC control panel. However now I have another problem. The display driver is installed without issue, but then then it bails out when trying to install CCC. I don't have a way to change AA and such now :(.

So I tried again. I went through a whole procedure I found for manually removing it, including registry entries and remenant files. Then I tried reinstalling again. The install went fine with no error this time, but, CCC just wont open when you try to use it. It apparently installed, but I can not run it for some reason. So... I installed Tray Tools again to get that functionality back, and then not to long afterward... bluescreen of death. Back to square one, haha.

Help!

Edited by VikVaughan

VV