Texting and Flying.

GuardDog

Got to me while watching some people on twitch flying around, and then while in route to a mission, they will look down, and then pick up a phone. Look at it, and then text. I am like "Is that possible?" Can you really fly a military aircraft, while waiting, heading to your waypoint, texting and fly. Is their something missing in the simulator that is making this possible? But in real life you can not? Can you really text (to your wife and ask "what is for dinner, going to wear that sexy outfit tonight? See you later! 🙂 ") and fly in f-16 for example?

Didn't know where to put this. Just a conversation, observation.

Edited by GuardDog

Seriously? The only problem would be cell range - so you can text any time but it'll be sent later when you're in range. IF military pilots used mobiles of course.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, GuardDog said:

Letting go of the handle (stick) wouldn't effect control of the aircraft?

When crusing or orbiting the aircraft is usually well trimmed so it's pretty stable hands free until it drifts half a minute later. Beside that all modern aircraft have auto pilot systems to relieve the pilot during long boring parts which include altitude, heading and attitude hold.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I doubt it would be a problem. Quite possible to do in civilian aircraft as well. Only problem is cell tower range as previously mentioned. If I have to have my hands on the controls when flying - I'm doing it wrong. Shouldn't need autopilot - just good trimming is normally suitable in good conditions.

Plus pilots have to look down a lot more than you'd think. Working out fuel calculations enroute every 10 minutes, drawing on maps and charts, replotting flight paths and doing angle calculations, writing down stuff and referring back to it on the kneeboard. Looking up airport information in enroute reference books - a lot of these could take up more time than a text message.  Don't consider it like driving a car - it's completely different. 

Thanks for the responses. I have never flown an combat aircraft or any aircraft at all. Only sims since F-117a simulator for Dos (floppy disks). I guess they really made these combat aircrafts practically fly themselves today. See, I did not know that. WW1, and WW2, they couldn't text and fly. But today, finding out they can, specially flying at speeds of over 250 knots. When I first saw a person on twitch pick up a cellphone (reading it), and then texting. To me it was a bizarre moment, saying to myself "...is their something wrong with DCS or is this a for real?" I had to ask the question. If it was a stupid question. Very sorry.

Thanks you guys. 

Edited by GuardDog

4 hours ago, GuardDog said:

WW1, and WW2, they couldn't text and fly.

But they used maps and kneeboard, writing on it when needed - yes, during a flight. Again, it's not like you take your hands off the stick and you veer off the road and crash instantly.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

My flight instructor and I both have requested lower altitudes during a cross-country flight to shoot out texts for whatever reason. You didn't even need to hold on to the yoke (unless the aircraft has been improperly trimmed or trimmed for other maneuvers.) With that said, In the military, it's probably a different story. (Speculating) You probably wouldn't fly with your phone. I know some branches have had issues with service members using their phones in the middle of an operation. My friend (currently in the Navy and has deployed several times on a cruiser) would sometimes message me whenever he was close enough to the coast. He mentioned that he had to be careful with how he communicated because several sailors were leaving their location services on and were being spotted on some apps. My friend said he opened a social media app and randomly found a few of his crew members' profile pics just randomly floating in the sea right on top of their location. It's been an issue near front lines as well, where some service members were hacked by opposing forces to figure out where they were headed or what they were doing. In military aviation, I doubt anyone is using their phone. Even if it is allowed, you're either high up in the air en route to where you need to be, or you're training or doing something that'll require your full attention. Maybe a helo squadron flying low could get away with it? 

Edited by YhandisH
  • Like 1