F-15E Strike Eagle Gamepad Layouts (Pre-release Draft)

Tuuvas

Before getting started, I highly recommend first setting up your Xbox or PlayStation gamepad to control the Mouse using either of the following tutorial videos:

Xbox, PlayStation, etc Controllers Using Steam (works for both Steam Edition and Standalone):

PlayStation Controllers:

From there you should be able to setup your DCS aircraft controls based on the following gamepad layouts (note: even though the images are Xbox controllers, these can also be bound to a PlayStation controller assuming you followed my above DS4Windows YouTube guide):

F-15E Strike Eagle Gamepad Layout (Pilot)

DCSWorld_F-15E_Pilot.png

F-15E Strike Eagle Gamepad Layout (WSO)

DCSWorld_F-15E_WSO.png

F-15E Strike Eagle Gamepad Layout (WSO - Alternate / Tuuvas' preferred layout)

DCSWorld_F-15E_WSO_Alternate.png

F-15E Strike Eagle Gamepad Layout (WSO - 1 modifier)

DCSWorld_F-15E_WSO_Simple.png

Edited by Tuuvas
  • Like 3

Use a gamepad as a HOTAS control for pilot may not be the best idea, but it would be the best solution for the RIO, WSO or CPG if you don't want to make a specific device yourself.

Human allowed, demon allowed, Deka never allowed.

Distort allowed, provoke allowed, fight back never allowed.

1 hour ago, Torbernite said:

Use a gamepad as a HOTAS control for pilot may not be the best idea, but it would be the best solution for the RIO, WSO or CPG if you don't want to make a specific device yourself.

Even as pilot, gamepads are completely viable.  To test this, I hopped in the CPG seat and told George to take a hike while I completed a whole mission single-seat (prior to Position and Velocity hold modes).

• Like 2

It all depends on how you treat "productions" like DCS ... For me, they are simulators, not games. So if I want to "pretend to be flying a real plane" - I do it with devices that reflect the real ones as closely as possible. Using game pads, in my subjective opinion, is a typical arcade approach to DCS as a regular game."

Of course, everyone has the right to play as they want;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nahen said:

It all depends on how you treat "productions" like DCS ... For me, they are simulators, not games. So if I want to "pretend to be flying a real plane" - I do it with devices that reflect the real ones as closely as possible. Using game pads, in my subjective opinion, is a typical arcade approach to DCS as a regular game."

Of course, everyone has the right to play as they want;)

Yeah agreed. The immersion just isn't there when it comes to using a gamepad.  HOTAS devices (+ several other devices) have them beat hands-down in that regard.  I should know lol

QNumM05.png

In the end though, my goal is to get as many people into DCS as possible by reducing/eliminating barriers of entry.  This will increase the player pool, causing more potential money to funnel into DCS.  Fingers crossed this in turn helps further DCS developments on aircraft we love!

Edited by Tuuvas
  • Like 6

Accessibility for people who don’t have the funds or space for a better setup has to be a good thing. 👍🏻

Edited by Deano87
  • Like 7

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:43 AM, Nahen said:

I know people who "fly" on the keyboard itself ... So why overpay? 😉

Lol most gamers have a console controller lying around already, so they're effectively paying $0 for a better experience.  Plus a single gamepad can functionaly do what a stick, throttle, rudder pedals, TrackIR, and mouse all together can do.

It's quite nice, you should give it a shot if you have a gamepad handy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tuuvas said:

Lol większość graczy ma już kontroler konsoli, więc faktycznie płacą 0 USD za lepsze wrażenia. Dodatkowo jeden gamepad może funkcjonować tak samo, jak drążek, przepustnica, pedały steru kierunku, TrackIR i mysz.

Jest całkiem fajny, powinieneś spróbować, jeśli masz pod ręką gamepad.

Thank you, but half-measures in the matter of simulation do not interest me 😉

IMG-20220524-075115.jpg

To much Cola 😅 !

• Like 3

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

40 minutes ago, YoYo said:

To much Cola 😅 !

Not at all, there's still space left for empty Cola bottles on his desk

(I do miss the Cola bottle holder on his seat though 🤔)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

2 hours ago, Tuuvas said:

Brak pedałów steru? A może są gdzieś schowane?

2 hours ago, YoYo said:

Za dużo Coli  😅!

1 hour ago, sirrah said:

Wcale nie, na jego biurku jest jeszcze miejsce na puste butelki po Coli

(Tęsknię jednak za uchwytem na butelkę Coli na jego siedzeniu  🤔)

Rudder will be when I have finished the seats (my in F-15C version and second ones for one of my sons in F-16C version) plus I will make the front panel of the F-15C and finally replace the monitor - so far the sons have got three new large monitors 😉 Now it's slowly getting time for me. My computer, cockpit, etc. are always at the very end of the to-do list 😉 And the worst thing is that one of my sons is waiting for a tank simulator 😉 The construction of the M60A3 cockpit is getting ready 😉

And Coca-Cola can never be too much 😉
And finally, some Coke holder / hiding place will also be found;) Maybe in the place of the oxygen cylinder by the armchair 😉

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2022 at 2:51 AM, Tuuvas said:

The below control layouts are still a work-in-progress since the F-15E is still not released, but I will go back and update/refine once it's released.

Before getting started, I highly recommend first setting up your Xbox or PlayStation gamepad to control the Mouse using either of the following tutorial videos:

Xbox Controllers:

PlayStation Controllers:

From there you should be able to setup your DCS aircraft controls based on the following gamepad layouts (note: even though the images are Xbox controllers, these can also be bound to a PlayStation controller assuming you followed my above DS4Windows YouTube guide):

F-15E Strike Eagle Gamepad Layout (Pilot)

image.png

F-15E Strike Eagle Gamepad Layout (WSO)

image.png

Also, if there's any masochists among the Razbam tester team, feel free to give these layouts a shot!  I'm hoping I've made these layouts as ergonomic as possible, and if possible I'd like to at least make sure the labels are accurate

Is there any way you can update some of the abbreviations for the layout? I was setting up my controls for the WSO today and found that the terms used for the R1 Modifier either don’t exist or I just can’t find them. “LHC MULFC SW” and “RHC MULFC SW”

On 7/1/2023 at 5:02 AM, LHog_ said:

Is there any way you can update some of the abbreviations for the layout? I was setting up my controls for the WSO today and found that the terms used for the R1 Modifier either don’t exist or I just can’t find them. “LHC MULFC SW” and “RHC MULFC SW”

Ah right, I completely forgot to update what I had here in the forums.  I'll update the pictures now

Edit: They are now updated

Edited by Tuuvas

• 6 months later...

Lol,

I played for 3 years with a hotas warthog FULL+ rudder. 

I put my pc and all my gear up for sale. 

A year later I bought a pc and tried the Xbox controller. I have even more flying sensation with the stick than with my hotas. It's super precise and I refuel in flight and make the best formation flights possible. So much so that people don't believe me when I say that I play with the controller and I have to show my controls.

I wouldn't go back to the big joystick for the world. It's the same thing in terms of precision, and in terms of hand sensitivity, you can feel the plane even better. 

Sorry purists